H&K Vs SIG

This is a discussion on H&K Vs SIG within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You can change it over in about 20 min's if your fairly handy .. 5 min's if you do all your own gunsmithing all you ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: H&K Vs SIG

You can change it over in about 20 min's if your fairly handy .. 5 min's if you do all your own gunsmithing all you need to change is the variant plate.. For this change

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Well, I used to have a supressed H&K MK23. Putting those subsonics through a supressesd pistol is really a treat, but the grip is just too big and I have a problem getting a good purchase on it. I sold it and the supressor earlier this year and got enough money to buy two additional SIGs, a 226 Navy and a 226 R Tactical (that I have a supressor coming for).

But for my carry gun it is a SIG P229 in .357 SIG. I find that (for me) the P229 is the perfect platform specially in the .40/.357SIG combination.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Exclamation Just the person I need to talk to!

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot
    But for my carry gun it is a SIG P229 in .357 SIG. I find that (for me) the P229 is the perfect platform specially in the .40/.357SIG combination.
    I am going round and round about my next carry gun and I have decided that I want the Sig P229 SAS version. But I'm in a quandry as to get it in 9mm (14+1 capacity?) or 40 with the 357Sig sp barrel (12+1 capacity?) I have a Glock M27 that I really enjoy but the grip is just a TAD uncomfortable in the ergonomics but the grip on the Sig is perfect judging from those I've held (but never fired).

I am concerned about accuracy out to 25 yards as I MIGHT also use this for IDPA and some of the shots at the State (FL) match last weekend were zero light shots requiring a flashlight at 20 yards. I guess there are some benefits to having such a match on an INDOOR range. I did passable well with My Beretta M92 9mm and it got me to thinking about the pleasant recoil and higher capacity of the nine.

Some of the match contestants OPINED their general dislike of the 40 and asked if I'd rather face the prospect of being hit in the hand with a 454 Casull or right in the upper lip with a straight on shot by the 9mm? There are some 9mm loads with 450-500 FT-LBS of muzzle energy available. There are some 40 loads with 600+ FT-LBS of ME. Can you give me YOUR opinion?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I'd get the 40 if I was you. I have the 229 in Limited Edition Stainless Steel Reverse 2Tone w/ 357 barrel. I LOVE It!!!!
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    I am going round and round about my next carry gun and I have decided that I want the Sig P229 SAS version. But I'm in a quandry as to get it in 9mm (14+1 capacity?) or 40 with the 357Sig sp barrel (12+1 capacity?) I have a Glock M27 that I really enjoy but the grip is just a TAD uncomfortable in the ergonomics but the grip on the Sig is perfect judging from those I've held (but never fired).

I am concerned about accuracy out to 25 yards as I MIGHT also use this for IDPA and some of the shots at the State (FL) match last weekend were zero light shots requiring a flashlight at 20 yards. I guess there are some benefits to having such a match on an INDOOR range. I did passable well with My Beretta M92 9mm and it got me to thinking about the pleasant recoil and higher capacity of the nine.

Some of the match contestants OPINED their general dislike of the 40 and asked if I'd rather face the prospect of being hit in the hand with a 454 Casull or right in the upper lip with a straight on shot by the 9mm? There are some 9mm loads with 450-500 FT-LBS of muzzle energy available. There are some 40 loads with 600+ FT-LBS of ME. Can you give me YOUR opinion?

What I, and a lot of folk (from what I've read) dislike about the .40SW is that the recoil is a bit snappy, and for some folks it makes it hard to line up quickly for a follow up shot. I have found the .357SIG recoil to be less snappy, more of a hard push. I suppose that this is due to the lighter weight bullet, but I don't consider myself a ballistics expert so my opinion is purely conjecture.

As for hi-power 9mm loads. I used to carry a Glock 26, loaded with 100gr +P Corbon Pow'R Balls that are rated at 483ftlbs out of a 4 inch barrel. I found the round to be manageable in the G26, but it bit really hard. For the same grip reason you cited I went shopping for another gun and wound up with the P229. It was the first handgun truly designed to handle the .40SW and as such is probably the best platform for that round, regardless of magazine capacity. I have not explored anything beyond standard loadings for the .40 as I no longer shoot that round (except in my PC4 carbine) and only use the .357SIG in my 229.

Another nice thing about the P229 is that you can swap from 40 to 357 very quickly (as in most 40 cal autos), and If you so desire pick up a 9mm conversion barrel and some 9mm mags and shoot that round too. If I were you and I decided on the 229, I would get the 40 or 357 and get the 9mm conversion later. I don't think you can do the conversion the other way around (9mm to 40/357), but I may be wrong.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot
    What I, and a lot of folk (from what I've read) dislike about the .40SW is that the recoil is a bit snappy, and for some folks it makes it hard to line up quickly for a follow up shot.
    any other comparisons aside, if recoil is an issue its a no brainer. fire the .40 in both the sig and the USP and youll find the difference to be rather significant. the dual buffer spring "recoil reduction system" on the USP is one of my favorite things about the USP. hot hot hot .40 loadings in my USP felt like warm 9mm +Ps in my browning high power.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Sig. Hands down (well, at least for me....an HK is a great, great weapon, though).

The Sigs I've handled have felt better to ME in MY hands than HK's to which I was comparing them, head-to-head.

And I've heard that if you aren't military or LEO and you have need of customer service, H&K isn't quite as responsive as Sig.

Lightbulb Recoil Reduction on USP? Also, note to P8Riot

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalSelection
    any other comparisons aside, if recoil is an issue its a no brainer. fire the .40 in both the sig and the USP and youll find the difference to be rather significant. the dual buffer spring "recoil reduction system" on the USP is one of my favorite things about the USP. hot hot hot .40 loadings in my USP felt like warm 9mm +Ps in my browning high power.
    But that's only a feature on the full size USP and not the compact, right? Sure my full size USP tames even a super hot 45 down to nothin' but that's too big for me to CCW in a hot climate and now that I've hung a gunlight on the rails, it's my dedicated HD weapon, anyway.

P8Riot: I just hate the NOISE on the 357 Sig...I'd HATE to have to shoot in an enclosed space like from my car or in a small room or hallway. ALSO and perhaps more importantly.....I'm trying to keep the numbers of different ammo calibers to a minimum. I've been collecting SHTF stuff for the .308, .223; 45; 40 & 9mm for many years now. I don't like the idea of adding 357 Sig to that mix!

But I'll try and line up a pair of examples from my IDPA club side by side and shoot them both and make a decision from there. No hurry. I have about $300 saved of the $800 needed to buy the gun from my buddy the FFL Holder....Great to have friends. It's about a $200 savings off retail. Even if it's not the BEST deal....it's a fair one and he's my friend.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I've fired the 9mm and 40 SIG 229s back to back and find the 9mm to be a little more accurate. The 40 did have slightly more noticeable recoil, but it really isn't bad at all. I'd go with a 40 or 357 in any of the SIGs (226,229,239). The difference in capacity isn't that much. 13rds of 357 SIG should be enough.

I currently have a 220 in 45acp that I couldn't be happier with. I'm not as accurate with it as I am with the 9mm 226 but the slightly thinner grip is more comfortable and I like 45acp over the other rounds. I might be able to get the groups a little tighter by trying different weight ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier

P8Riot: I just hate the NOISE on the 357 Sig...I'd HATE to have to shoot in an enclosed space like from my car or in a small room or hallway. ALSO and perhaps more importantly.....I'm trying to keep the numbers of different ammo calibers to a minimum. I've been collecting SHTF stuff for the .308, .223; 45; 40 & 9mm for many years now. I don't like the idea of adding 357 Sig to that mix!

But I'll try and line up a pair of examples from my IDPA club side by side and shoot them both and make a decision from there. No hurry. I have about $300 saved of the $800 needed to buy the gun from my buddy the FFL Holder....Great to have friends. It's about a $200 savings off retail. Even if it's not the BEST deal....it's a fair one and he's my friend.
    I'm probably going deaf anyway, but the .357SIG doesn't seem as loud to me as all that. I guess if I fired it in an enclosed space without hearing protection (a.k.a. self defense scenario) it might. But I have 2 Benelli M1 Super 90 Tacticals (in separate locations) for home defense. I would resort to the SIG if the shotgun didn't do the trick. Not likely though.

BTW I occasionally handgun hunt with a 4" Ruger Redhawk customized to .475 Linebaugh. You wanna hear LOUD?
    Last edited by p8riot; July 5th, 2006 at 09:16 AM.

If you cant follow up shots with the .40 due to recoil, by all means, go with 9mm. Nothing wrong with that. Buy what you shoot best. That being said, I find that the recoil on my SIG P229 is not that bad. I take my VERY petite 11 year old daughter to the range, and she shoots the P229 for hours on end (to the dismay of my wallet). Her favorite gun of mine is the Springfield XD-40 Service, mostly due to the grip angle and narrow profile, but the SIG is her 2nd favorite, followed by my Glock 23.

A friend of mine has the H&K and it's a fine firearm as well. Comparing the two is difficult as they are pretty different, but both are super high quality.

The two are both excellent firearms...I just prefer the H&K
    Are you from the Northeast?...Check out:

www.northeastshooters.com

Sig fits my hand better and I like an all metal gun.

VIP Member
    HK for me
    I shot a sig and almost bought one but then saw the HKs.
    Its all about personal preference. I like the way the HK feels, I shoot well with it, and its been nothing but 100% dependable (other than an original 10 round mag that had a bad spring).
    I looked at it like this....if its good enough to become SOCOM pistol then its good enough to be dependable and protect me and my family (sig is along the same lines too).
    I'm not big on choosing a weapon on looks...I don't really care if its panache or has personality or whatever. Pinache or personality don't get the job done when a crackhead comes at you with a knife. I want it to shoot well, work well for me and be dependable....period. Lots of people say the glocks are ugly (some use more descriptive language). I've heard people say they don't like the looks of lots of pistols including HK. I purchased my first glock, a 30, about 2 months ago and purchased a 26 for the wife last week. Both are fine performers but I still shoot my HK the best. Bottom line.....get what works for you, not what looks the best in your hand. I like the looks of a vette but its not good for a camping trip or hauling the family on a vacatoin.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I was talking to one of your immigration people, he was carrying a Beretta and said they were converting to the HK 2000, the other imigration group at the border was carrying Glocks, you would think the two services working closely together would carry the same pistol.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links