H&K Vs SIG - Page 6

H&K Vs SIG

This is a discussion on H&K Vs SIG within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; you are correct, I have a co-worker that is about to enter the Border Patrol. They will be issued HK2000s and they are currently changing ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: H&K Vs SIG

VIP Member
    you are correct, I have a co-worker that is about to enter the Border Patrol. They will be issued HK2000s and they are currently changing over from the Berettas in the field.
    The Beretta was the standard issue for the BP, I'm not sure who the other agency was with the Glocks.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

The only things I didn't really like on the HK USPs were the harshness of the grip, and to a lesser extent the position of the safety. I kept hitting it using the thumbs up grip. However, the HKs are my 2nd favorites behind my 229. I'm still getting used to the 229 because I've gone from shooting 9mms most of the time to .40. However, my 229 is my primary CCW now and I have a 2nd 229 .40 with a .357 Sig barrel on the way. I'd get another USP in .40 at some point, probably. As for 1911s, I've owned Colts, Springfields, Paras, Kimbers, Smith and Wessons and a Rock Island. No 1911 I ever owned has come close to a Sig or an HK in reliability. So for me the only personality 1911's have are the "I sure wouldn't trust my life to one" personality.

My next best guns I've liked have been the Beretta 96, 92FS, and the Hi Power.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRambler
    I'm still getting used to the 229 because I've gone from shooting 9mms most of the time to .40. However, my 229 is my primary CCW now and I have a 2nd 229 .40 with a .357 Sig barrel on the way.
    I compete IDPA with my M92FS but I'm thinking very seriously of the P229SAS. I'm looking forward to shooting an example owned by another forum member in the near future.

How MUCH of a difference is there in your opinion between rapid fire strings of 40 in your 229 and rapid fire in any 9mm but preferably something comparable to the 229 in size?

As I mentioned before I do love my USP 45 fullsize, but it's strictly a "homebody" now with the gunlight on it's rails. I mostly carry either a Glock M27 or a Sig P245 45. But I really like the looks and feel of the melt job on the SAS. I also like the light feel of the DAK action...which was my primary problem with my USP besides the raspy grips.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra
    I'm not sure who the other agency was with the Glocks.
    I thought ICE was using the Glock? Maybe the M22 or M23???
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

[QUOTE
    How MUCH of a difference is there in your opinion between rapid fire strings of 40 in your 229 and rapid fire in any 9mm but preferably something comparable to the 229 in size?
    [/QUOTE]

To be honest, I'm not at the point yet where I can shoot rapid fire with the .40. I could shoot rf with 9's but so far the .40 recoil is something I haven't stabilized yet to that point. So there's actually quite a difference in the recoil, at least for me.

Part of it might be grip though. My left arm is slightly crooked from being broken as a child, and I suffer from tired wrists if I shoot rapid fire, especially with .40, and brass comes back into my face. Not pleasant. So I'm hopeful this can be corrected with practice. I keep trying proper grip, and I try alternating it some, but so far I'm still having problems with the grip. I'm determined though!
    Last edited by MidnightRambler; July 13th, 2006 at 12:24 AM.

Lightbulb Forum members might be able to help you out....

Part of it might be grip though. My left arm is slightly crooked from being broken as a child, and I suffer from tired wrists if I shoot rapid fire, especially with .40, and brass comes back into my face. Not pleasant. So I'm hopeful this can be corrected with practice. I keep trying proper grip, and I try alternating it some, but so far I'm still having problems with the grip. I'm determined though!
    Not to sound "political" but are you a "lefty?" Can you describe your grip? Better yet, can you post a pic of you holding the P229 in a firing position? There is a LOT of talent on this forum that might make suggestions that could help you out. Brass coming back into your face MIGHT be solved by tinkering with the extractor some. That sounds like the extractor pattern is flawed and it could be exacerbated by the grip problems.

I'm right handed, but I have lazy eye in my right eye, so I have to aim with the left eye. I'll get a pic of my grip and post it. As to the brass, I've even had this problem in the past with 9mms, so I'm fairly sure it's something in the grip. It'd actually be nice if it was just the extractor needing adjustment.
    Thanks

MidnightRambler don't feel bad i can't shoot fast nor hit for crap with a 40. that why i choose to stay away from it i've made a few dumb mistakes buying guns in the caliber to see if it was the gun i was using ..

i have come to the conclusion that for my taste it sucks ..

It'll never be a 45 and for size of the pistol ill take a 9mm with more round's

Sig P239 in 40 S&W. It fits my hand very well and I can shoot it accurately. I have not felt the need (YET!) to try the HK's as I am very comfortable with my Sig (and CZ P01). The controls work for me and I like to be able to decock the gun. This is just ME. I can't speak for anyone else and would not presume to do so.
    USAF Retired

The Devil is in the Details....

Actually, after experimenting for several days with the Sig, I'm bowing out of the conversation because Glocks have supplanted Sig on my list, due to their light weight. Sigs are just too dang heavy to carry. I still like the HKs, they are not too heavy.
    Awwwww C'mon! Okaaaaay. You wanna see a heavy piece to tote? Especially in the GUNshine state....try toting a 1911 or worse, a fullsize USP 45 IWB in heat that's about 93 with 85% humidity.

I made beaucoup points with the wife today when I went with her to the movies. We saw a classic Chick-flick

The Devil Wears Prada.

It's a typical south Florida day: hot, humid and muggy.

I decide to carry my Glock M27 40. I've got a Pierce +1 mag inserted giving me 10rds +1. In my pants pocket I've got a Glock M23 mag with an additional 13rds on tap. I have the little plastic spacer installed providing for a seamless grip, should I need it. But that adds to the bulk. Besides the all important wallet, I'm also carrying a SureFire Nitrolon and a Spyderco Delica. Thanks the Lord for 5*11 cargo pants and my Wilderness Instructor belt. Had a tropical t-shirt between me and my Blade Tec IWB and a 2XL Hawaiian style shirt for cover. I was comfortable...but barely.

Yeah, I coulda' shoved a mousegun into my pocket....but lately I've come to feel that we're getting uncomfortably close to some kind of....event...similar to 911 and I want to be ready. You know....serious guns for serious times..... I don't know how y'all feel about this and I've said this before on this board.....

But there are somethings as I age that I just won't do and one is to lug an 8rd 1911 IWB in this heat. Sharp edges especially. That'sd one reason I'll get the Sig SAS. I don't think it's heavy at all....at least that's my perception. My H&K USPf is a HOG...waaaaay bigger than my 1911 Government. That's why it has a gunlight and now is strictly for HD. Had I the Sig today instead of the Glock, I would have been quite happy. But in either case, I would consider myself fully and competently armed. I'm not exactly certain that there is a cogent POINT to be made in this post....

I must be gettin' old. I loved the movie. But I still made sure the wife knew I was makin' points! Redeemable in the future.

Thumbs up

Nah, for personal reasons I've elected to stick with the Sig. I got a Sparks VMII holster for it today.
    Good choice of pistol and holster.
    Last edited by BigEd63; July 12th, 2006 at 11:07 PM.

Owned many of both HK and SIG, definitely SIG is better in my opinion. Better customer service. More variety in handguns by far. HK's are way overpriced for a polymer framed MIM part gun. If I want just as good a polymer framed gun at a reasonable price I'll get a SIGPRO 2022. Check one out, just as reliable and accurate as any Glock or HK i've ever had and if you field strip them side by side do a comparison and I guarantee you'll be surprisingly impressed by the more durable internals of the SIGPRO(especially the frame rails, which by the way if they ever break, can be replaced as a subassembly unlike on a Glock or HK where a new frame is required) In addition, SIG has guns in alloy or steel frames depending on your prefference. I like metal better than polymer myself. Also, SIG is coming out with the 556 rifle for the civilian market, what does HK have out for us now. Heck they discontinued the superb P7s.

I went to the gun store in search of my own personal feel for the two. I found that the Sig p229 as well as the P226 fit very naturally in my hand and balanced very well. The HK compact didnt feel as well balanced for my personal grip. I have an idea that a p229 is in my near future. But I will strongly suggest that everyone try both before purchasing. Both are fine pieces and few will be disappointed by either, after that it's all a matter of personal preference...and no one can make that decision for you!

Sigs point naturally for me. And with a little practice, I have been able to shoot more accurately with Sigs than with MOST other handguns.

My admittedly limited experience with HKs.... I couldn't hit a barn door. It just didn't feel natural to me. Trigger + grip problem for me. It just didn't feel good in my hand. I don't like the feel of polymer frames.

To each his own.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Sponsored Links