H&K Vs SIG

This is a discussion on H&K Vs SIG within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay here's the battle: H&K vs. SIG Both are prized for quality Both are offered in a similar variety of platforms and calibers Both are ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: H&K Vs SIG

H&K Vs SIG

Okay here's the battle: H&K vs. SIG

Both are prized for quality
    Both are offered in a similar variety of platforms and calibers
    Both are widely used by LE and Military Special Ops

Knowing full well that a handgun comes down to 'personal choice', keep in mind that I am asking for opinions. Please back up answer with reasons "why". If money wasn't an issue, which ONE model of your choice would you purchase?
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    When I became a Deputy the issued gun was a Glock 21...or you could furnish your own, the only stipulation was it had to be a 9mm,.40 or .45.

I hate Glocks, so I passed on the 21.

I chose the .45 and I narrowed it down the the Sig P220 or the HK.

My first choice was the HK, due to the larger mag capacity. With one mag in the gun and two on the belt it was 37 rounds.

My second choice was the Sig. Three mags for it are 21 plus one for a total of 22.

Since most gunfights are determined with considerably less than 28 rounds, I never really considered that a handicap.

Unfortunatley, HK's were nowhere to be found when I wanted one and I had to go with the Sig. To be honest, I've never really regretted it. The first one served me well enough that I now own 5 Sigs, the 220,225,226/9mm,226/.357Sig and a P239.

The Sigs just kind of grow on you. I still like the Hk's but the Sig definatley has the better trigger of the ones that I've shot. The plastic bodied HK is purt near maintenance free, but if you like the feel of steel in a gun, the Sig wins.

In my neck of the woods, it appears that Sigs have better reasale than the HK's and are easier to get rid of.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    The HK's just aren't as nice to look at as the Sigs, but people seem to like both.

Ive had both a sig 229 357sig and a HK usp 45 i sold the sig becuse it didnt work for me

Sure i could spend the hours training to use the funky controls like some other lefty's do but i think that would have messed me up for using other pistols

It really is personal preferance both hold value really really well

Even though the sig didnt work for me i still regret selling it and am thinking of geting one of the sig 220 SAO down the road it will work for me i love the 45 and would think of one in 357sig but not offered in that caliber

So long story long at the time i sold the sig and Kept my HK to carry till i got somethign else since it was way more lefty hand friendly than the sig

Now i mostly carry a glock and carried a 38 snub all day go figure

Assistant Administrator
    I have bias because I chose SIG - and am well pleased with 226, 228 and 220.

Hoever, there is enough about H&K to make me feel drawn to the platform - just really need to have a borrow of one to check it out. Plenty I like about them.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    HK for me too. the left hand safety configuration was what got me to pick the USP in the first place. Now , I wouldn't trade it (except maybe for a new HK) The recoil reducing spring set up and the all weather finish make it a great gun for me.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sigs have more personality.

Senior Moderator
    Agreed.

However...all this talk about HK's has got me wantin one again...
    besides...I aint got one...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Young

1911 has more personalty than both the sig ans HK combined

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    1911 has more personalty than both the sig ans HK combined
    But SIGs Also have Panache'
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    With either manufacturer, it literally comes down to which features you like and ergonomics...both companies produce guns at the top of the quality and accuracy heap in service and concealment grade guns.

Personally, I love my SIGARMS sigpro SP2340 in 357 SIG; prefering it over my duty P229 in .40 S&W. But my favorite gun (that I own) between the two companies is my HK P7. I also enjoy shooting my USP (FS) .45 ACP.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

1951 - 2011
    Hello. I am a little hesitant to post on this as I don't have a long history of actually using either the P220 or USP on a daily basis, but will offer what I think I "know."

I've owned both the standard size USP in .45 ACP and 9mm. Both were reliable as sin, but I could just never get as tight a groups with either as with some other handguns in the same caliber. (Both of mine were ordered in Variation 9, which simply removes the decocking capability; I carried cocked-and-locked with the USP's.) I suspect that it was just that the grip design doesn't work for me. The trigger pulls in single-action were a little heavy, but still very useable.

I had owned a few SIG-Sauer handguns over the years from the P230, 225 and 226. While attending a shooting school at DPS Austin under now-retired Lt. Reeves Jungkind, I saw some superb shooting done with the P220 and promptly bought one. It and the P225 are the only SIG-Sauer handguns I currently own.

Anyway, I could shoot the P220 better than I could shoot the USP in either rapid or slow-fire.

If we got a dump truck of .45 ACP ammo and began shooting it in say 10 USP's and 10 P220's, I think that the USP would probably outlast the P220 before some small part broke...but I am just guessing here.

As a SWAT handgun instructor for 11 years, I saw quite a few of the USP and P220 handguns being used and saw some really fine shooting done with both, so I'd think (as others have noted) that the accuracy potential of either is at least partially determined by how well the particular pistol mates with its user. (I also believe that a good shot can shoot most any decently accurate handgun well; it's just that it's more consistent with some gun/shooter combinations than others.)

The finish on the HK seems much more durable than the thin bluing on the P220's I saw most and I prefer the checkering on the USP's front stap to the slick anodized finish on my P220.

It's my understanding that SIG-Sauer now has a single-action-only P220 and I'll try hard not to look or handle one as long as I can, but about my most "major" complaint with the P220 is that there's no provision for cocked-and-locked carry as there is with the USP.

My P220 is stock other than for my adding a thin strip of anti-skid tape to the front strap. It is also reliable with anything other than handloads using CSWC bullets IF I load more than five per magazine. So far I have not found a JHP in any .45 ACP bullet weight that the gun won't function flawlessly with.

In the end, as others have said, I believe that either is capable of making a fine defensive arm. Often recommended, but not so often possible is the suggestion to shoot both and go from there. In lieu of that if not practical, one might handle each and more likely make the right decision for him (or her).

For me, the choice is probably the P220. If my 1911's suddenly disappeared or I was forced to go with a DA/SA auto, the "right" choice for me between the USP and the SIG-Sauer would be the P220. That does not mean that it would necessarily be right for the next person.

Best.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I thought long and hard about whether to get a Sig or a HK. I asked for some advice from the members of this forum. I settled on the HK and now have two, a USPc .40 and a USPf .40. I chose the HK because the mag capacity was greater, I could carry cocked and locked, and the profile of the HK is a little thinner for concealed carry. Since acquiring my HK's, I am also impressed with the durable finish and the overall balance. I have found them to be reliable as can be. They have functioned without any failures no matter what I put through them. They are more accurate than I can shoot, so even if a Sig is slightly more accurate, it wouldn't make much difference to me. All in all, I have never been sorry that I picked HK. They are very available if you check around and I have found them to be slightly less expensive than Sig's. I know we have many Sig fans here, and I mean no disrespect to them or their weapons. Sig's are certainly fine weapons. I just like my HK's.

Senior Moderator
    I have a Sig 220, 220 ST, and H&K USPf 9mm. I love'em. I couldn't choose between 'em if I had to. I guess that's why I've got both.

I will say the 220 grip is superb, but it's a single stack. The only thing I don't like about my USP is the DA trigger pull - it's horrible. But, the SA is about as good as it gets.

I do really, really, like the fact that you can load, unload, press check a USP with the safety on. I can see though in a stressful situation, you could press the safety a bit too hard, too far and decock the gun. Of course that would only put it in DA, but...

Oh, and I've got to add, I love the USP mag release. I took to that like a duck to water as they say.

I have Sig 229 and love it. A buddy of mine has a H&K USP that I have shot and I insantly liked it as well. You could not go wrong with either the Sig or an H&K. So get what you think is the best gun for the amount of money that you will spend on it.
    Crookcatchr

Theres no such thing as owning to many guns.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links