maybe the 26 isnt for me

maybe the 26 isnt for me

This is a discussion on maybe the 26 isnt for me within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok I have Glock 26 that I have had for over a year. I have shot several 100 rounds through it. I went and shot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

maybe the 26 isnt for me

Ok I have Glock 26 that I have had for over a year. I have shot several 100 rounds through it. I went and shot earlier today and it really suprised me. I have always been pleased with the way it shot. Today not so much I was shooting a piece of plywood and aiming at the knot. I found all of my shots low. I thought maybe I was compensating but without the mag extensions I figured that would be hard. I would take slow deliberate shots and most of them were low some spot on. I do not think the gun is the issue but I cant buy a new me. I dont think I was doing anything different either time. I tried holding the dot on the target as well as setting the dot on the U. Man Im shocked. What amazes me more is later I was shooting some cups. I noticed most of my shots were low left. I unloaded my 26 and reached in my pocket and grabbed my P32 to my suprise I was shooting the cups in the center at the same 10yds. I realize I have more rounds through my keltec but this should not be. I wonder if recoil is a factor if I should carry the P32 as my primary untill I build confidence in my 26. I figure when I can I could carry my 4" K frame. I know its spot on as well. I shoot the model 13 better than any other gun I own. I wonder now if I should look at a SP101. I figure same platform heavy enough to shoot yet small enough to carry. HMMMM sorry for the vent.

Were you using different ammo? Keep practicing with the g26. I'm not a huge Glock fan but I like the G26

I just got an SP101 and I love it.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Administrator
    Its not the gun. Low and Low left are the most common shooter errors. Somebody else will chime in soon enough and tell you exactly what you are doing wrong.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    please continue to vent...when you are completely tired of it we will form a line to buy it from you...

Suggestions...

Shooting low and to the left is often caused by jerking the trigger in anticipation of recoil, for right handed shooters.

The cure is to work on your trigger pull so that it is smooth and straight back, without moving the gun as the trigger breaks. Dry firing can be helpful. When firing with live ammo at the range, think about holding the front sight steady on the target and let the trigger pull be automatic so that it surprises you when it breaks.

I have a couple of Glocks and it took awhile to become proficient with them, because the trigger is different than most other guns.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Shooting low and to the left is often caused by jerking the trigger in anticipation of recoil, for right handed shooters.

The cure is to work on your trigger pull so that it is smooth and straight back, without moving the gun as the trigger breaks. Dry firing can be helpful. When firing with live ammo at the range, think about holding the front sight steady on the target and let the trigger pull be automatic so that it surprises you when it breaks.

I have a couple of Glocks and it took awhile to become proficient with them, because the trigger is different than most other guns.
    +1 You also need to make sure that on your trigger finger that you use the pad of your finger not the crook. This will ensure a smooth pull.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Do you have access to a gun with a laser or possibly a range that rents guns with them installed? I installed a Crimson Trace on one of my Kahr's and was almost immediately able to correct some bad shooting habits I picked up through the years. During my first 50 rounds or so, I was shooting low and to the left too. At first I thought the laser was misaligned, but then I was able to slow down and realize what I was doing.

I own a 26 as well and had problems too. I was told try to squeeze the trigger and release a little more each time, but do not let it go bang. Sure enough when I squeezed the trigger to far and it when off I hit the center everytime. Owner problem not hardware problem. I hope this helps.

Low left is the most common shooting error...check this out.

The MOST common shooter error, by right handed shooters is shooting low and to the left. On a Glock, this is caused by failing to properly prep the trigger, failure to roll the momentum of the trigger through the point where the trigger breaks and failing to properly re-prep the trigger on follow up shots. If you jerk the trigger you cause the other fingers of your shooting hand to sympathetically squeeze the grip of the pistol, causing the low left shots you describe. As much as possible, you need to isolate your trigger finger and inhibit the other fingers from squeezing along with your trigger finger. If you don't believe me look at all of the top IPSC shooters, they all swear by the trigger prep technique. I preached this same mantra to all of our shooters at my dept range (as it was taught to me) and the shooters that practiced it, saw their accuracy shoot through the roof.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

It's not the Glock, it's you...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

+1 practice and concentrate.

there is a shooting chart on the site that show you what you are doing when you are shooting and not hitting where you aim. maybe someone will post it or you could do a search for it. good information.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    "I wonder if recoil is a factor if I should carry the P32 as my primary untill I build confidence in my 26"

Recoil and jerking that trigger are your problem IMO. Some folks cannot shoot a .45 for crap. See the same folks shoot a .38 or 9mm with good-great accuracy. When my local PD went to Glock 31's in .357 Sig 2 years ago instead of keeping our Sig 226's scores went down the crapper BIG TIME. The snappy recoil and louder report had just about everyone who was shooting the new weapon & round so poorly it was taking 2-3 attempts to qualify over half the dept. Due to the more expensive ammo there was and is zilch left over for practice ammo.

If you took a vote right now over 90% of the force happily would go back to the 226 and pay for the weapons out of their own pockets.

I recommend you wear double hearing protection when shooting and run some empty/loaded chamber firing drills with a partner. They will immediately let you know if you're jerking that trigger versus pressing it. Get plenty of slow fire practice in with that trigger, watch the front sight and hopefully your accuracy will improve and you can gain confidence shooting that baby.

1 shot to the heart beats 6 misses or poor hits. If you cannot overcome your problem with the 36 I'd sell it and buy a 9mm. Less recoil, cheaper to shoot and just as effective if you hit the vitals as a .45 with todays ammo.

JMO
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Sportster guy, maybe I read the thread wrong, but I believe he already is shooting a 9mm.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links