Beretta Cheetah

Beretta Cheetah

This is a discussion on Beretta Cheetah within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I was wondering what you guys thought about the Beretta 84 Cheetah. I recently bought one in .380 ACP, it is the wide-gripped, double-stack ...

Thread: Beretta Cheetah

Beretta Cheetah

Hello, I was wondering what you guys thought about the Beretta 84 Cheetah. I recently bought one in .380 ACP, it is the wide-gripped, double-stack model that can take 13-round magazines. I'm out here in Hawaii now where a CCP is basically impossible to obtain, but I won't be here forever. I was thinking about using it as a carry weapon whenever I get to a shall-issue state. Anyone have any experience carrying this weapon? What do you think of it?

VIP Member
    I don't know that much about the Cheetah. I used to carry a Browning BDA .380 off-duty when I was an LEO. It was double stack, fairly small and very reliable. Probably a twin of the Cheetah. The capacity is what really sold me on the gun, even though it was .380... I think you'll enjoy carrying it, when you get somewhere that you can...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I owned the single stack version many years ago. Never carried it, but it was an accurate, reliable .380. I regret having sold it.

The design has been around for decades and works well. However, for CCW, there are several 9mm choices in that size now adays. But I still think it works well.

Great gun.

I have a couple of Beretta's , but not the Cheetah. I've had one a very long time and it has been used a lot and still looks new. Beretta's quality holds up well. I don't expect you have any issues with it.

The Beretta and the Browning double-stack .380s have been on my wish list for years. They are beautiful to the eye and the hand, but my budget disagreed with the idea. I've had several chances to shoot these guns, and they shoot every bit as nicely as the looks, price, and name would lead you to expect. You will definastely love your new pistol.

Someday one will be mine. Until then I'll make do with my surplus CZ-82.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Oh I do love shooting it. It has yet to jam on me, fits my hands very nicely, and recoil is mild. Seems to me that it would be nice to carry around, it's actually why I bought it. I was just hoping for some real experience from people in states that let you do that, looks to me like you guys say it's a good gun for that purpose...

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I love that gun!

I carried one for years. It is one of the few guns I've owned that have never failed me. IMHO the Beretta is the best .380 made. It has no faults. Shoots any and all ammo, it's accurate, the trigger is a jewel, it's lightweight, compact and the ergonomcs are the best.

My 84 has now been retired but I still have it and enjoy shooting it. I prefered the Pachmayr grips to the wood or plastic also available. My son carries a 84 with some very nice custom grips, (no longer made).

I also think highly of the slimmer 85. This one is almost new.

Links