Shot my first 45 today

This is a discussion on Shot my first 45 today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My buddy bought a Springfield Armory 1911 in 45 caliber today (all stainless steel with wood U.S. grips) and paid less than $400 for it. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shot my first 45 today

Shot my first 45 today

My buddy bought a Springfield Armory 1911 in 45 caliber today (all stainless steel with wood U.S. grips) and paid less than $400 for it. A friend of his needed cash. We went and bought some ammo and did a little shooting with it, my S&W 442, and my Taurus PT709 Slim.

What a pistol!!! The 45 is a huge round compared to 38s and 9mm. It's such a large and heavy pistol, the recoil wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated. This was my first time firing a 1911...sweet. I'll try to get some pics and post. I had told him if he didn't buy it I would...I wish I would have gotten it. It's a classic and fun to shoot (of course, I love shooting them all).

I also got my first IWB holster for the Taurus and it's worked out great. It's an el cheapo, but something to start with. I put about 100 more rounds through the Taurus PT709 and it was flawless and accurate, as always (both two-handed and one-handed). I'm approaching 500 rounds now. I got some different brands of rounds too...this thing eats everything I feed it and begs for more (federal, remington, winchester wb, hornady, american eagle, etc.). I got the Hornady Critical Defense in 9mm and 38 +P just to try. I put 50 rounds of plinkers through my S&W 442 today (two-handed and one-handed). The more I shoot it the more I like it too. Consistently hitting pumpkins with it from 50 feet both ways. I'm getting better with it each time I go. I don't anticipate having to hit anything with a snubbie from that far, but I like knowing I can. These two little guns have become my daily carriers, snubbie in the weak side pocket holster and 9mm strong side IWB or OWB CC.

I bought my wife and I both some pepper spray today too, thanks to advice I received on this forum. I feel better knowing she has it and I like having a non-lethal option as well.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good day... too bad you couldn't get the .45, what a sweet deal... I'm sure I know what's on your wish list now...

Merry Christmas to you to...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Gotta love the 45acp. The USMC pretty much taught me that, and look what happened to me since then. I'm still ready for a 1911 to fall into my hands once again. I just don't actively pursue it as much as some. My P220 SAO has been a big brother through it all to me. Still...carrying a 45acp has an aura all it's own. Ten feet tall, and bullet proof pretty much. Everything else will just keep you sucking air until the day another 1911 finds it's way into your hands.

It's a Christmas Miracle!

I went out and put my first 100 rounds through my DW cbob today. I looove shooting it, so smooth and balanced. Be careful, you might be sucked into the 1911 cult, it gets expensive. lol

My girlfriend and I shot a .45 the other day for the first time. Holding the .45 round next to the 9mm round makes the 9mm look like a toy.

I was very surprised by the lack of recoil. My girlfriend actually shot the .45 better then the 9. Now she wants a .45 and doesn't even wanna shoot the nines.

And now I'm thinking I should move up to .45. I can't let her shoot a bigger bullet then me. lol
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

What a sweet gun. There's a reason the 1911 and 1911A1 have been around for nearly 100 years.

And still as popular as they've ever been.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I've already been sucked into the vortex of semi-automatics as I was a died-in-the-wool revolver guy my whole life until recently (I still love the wheel guns, but am getting into semis too now). Now that I've got a couple 9mm, I can't stop. I shot my buddy's 40 caliber Glock the other day and it's been calling my name ever since. Now a 45 cal 1911...I'm getting deeper in as I go. The 1911 is a nice shooter because of the sheer size and weight...and the bullet dwarfs my other rounds. Honestly, the compact light Taurus PT709 9mm kicks worse that the 1911. It's something to go on my wishlist...It takes time to build a good collection.

Did I mention that the gun had only 3 rounds fired from it before he bought it? Got the box, holster, and a couple boxes of defensive rounds thrown into the deal as well. He's lucky, because I was on it if he passed...he got it for less than half of what it's worth. I'll post a pic sometime.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Yeah I got a SIG GSR 1911 in .45 ACP back in June. I have yet to hold a pistol that feels better in my hands than the 1911. Unfortunately, the SIG is back at the factory for a 2nd time because it likes to jam on me , but I have a solution. It's called the Springfield GI, my most recent pistol purchase, and it has yet to fail me.

Bought a NIB Glock 21 with Mepro night sights for $495 out-the-door last month (dealer says it was "buyer's remorse".....)...
    This thing is tops! I'd never shot a .45 in my life...Now I'm wishing I'd started long ago.....Not that I'm thinking of giving up my 9mm's...
    Like the old commercial says: "Try it....you'll LIKE it!"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    My girlfriend and I shot a .45 the other day for the first time. Holding the .45 round next to the 9mm round makes the 9mm look like a toy.

I was very surprised by the lack of recoil. My girlfriend actually shot the .45 better then the 9. Now she wants a .45 and doesn't even wanna shoot the nines.

And now I'm thinking I should move up to .45. I can't let her shoot a bigger bullet then me. lol
    Power corrupts. .45 ACP power corrupts absolutely! A girl that wants to shoot the biggest gun she can handle? Priceless and a keeper.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by das38spl View Post
    Bought a NIB Glock 21 with Mepro night sights for $495 out-the-door last month (dealer says it was "buyer's remorse".....)...
    This thing is tops! I'd never shot a .45 in my life...Now I'm wishing I'd started long ago.....Not that I'm thinking of giving up my 9mm's...
    Like the old commercial says: "Try it....you'll LIKE it!"
    You get a perfectly fine 1911 thread going and somebody has to drop the "G" bomb.

This picture of a beautiful Springfield 1911-A1 Loaded should clear out that bad taste...

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Go 45ACP or go home !! j/k They're arent that bad to shoot, my GF loves shooting mine. One of these days i'll have a nice 1911, cant help but drool everytime i see one.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Administrator
    You shot one? Now...you need one!
    I couldn't live without having at least one "Old Slabsides" in the Gun Stable.

I dearly love that big ol' .45 round... first serious handgun was a .45 (1911, of course), now I have four.

Intellectually, I know that a well-placed shot with a modern 9mm defensive round will stop a fight as quickly as a .45 ACP will. Viscerally, though, it's a LOT different. I did my first steel match last week, and the difference between 9mms and the .45s hitting the plates and poppers was VERY reassuring. Audibly and visually, it was like the difference between a tack hammer and a framing hammer on the plates!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links