Help with Duty/BUG/CCW set-up...

This is a discussion on Help with Duty/BUG/CCW set-up... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everybody! I need your assistance please. ;) I am probably WAY over thinking all this, but it is an interesting endeavor. Currently I am ...

Hey everybody! I need your assistance please. ;) I am probably WAY over thinking all this, but it is an interesting endeavor.
    Currently I am trying to assemble a Duty/BUG/CCW set up. I have some ideas, and I have done extensive research, but I am still not satisfied. Hopefully you guys will be able to give me some insight.

For duty I am looking at the following pistols.

P220 .45 ACP
    P226 9mm
    P229 9mm

Does anybody have any experience with the DAK trigger? I liked the one I dry fired. However, I have read that the DAK suffers from “light strike” issues. The internet always makes things seem bigger than they actually are, but I do know one officer that had to send her 229 to SIG twice due to light strikes.

BUG/CCW

This is the area where I am really unsure. I have thought about a Glock 26 as it seems to be the best subcompact out there. Kahrs seem to have way too many issues for me to trust them. The Sig P239 seems a little big for a BUG as I am a small guy.

Are there any good/decent sized 7 shot revolvers? The only ones I have seen are the S&W 386 and Taurus 617. How big are these two revolvers? Also, can the key lock devices be removed from either one of them?

I am open to any and all suggestions.

I have a LCP for times when I can’t carry anything else.

Thanks for any help!

What do you think of the Glock pistols? They work well for you? Can't help but notice you've listed one 45acp pistol on the list. I could say what I would do, and that would be stick with the same caliber for duty and BUG. The only thing I know about SIGs is that I love my P220 SAO. Everything else is Glock to me. I figure if you could carry the P220, then the G21SF my go very well with a G30 as BUG, and if you're footing your own bill on your duty weapon, going Glock will probably save you some money over the SIG combo. I'm just sayin'.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevetb4 View Post

BUG/CCW

This is the area where I am really unsure. I have thought about a Glock 26 as it seems to be the best subcompact out there. Kahrs seem to have way too many issues for me to trust them. The Sig P239 seems a little big for a BUG as I am a small guy.

Also, can the key lock devices be removed from either one of them?

Thanks for any help!
    A couple of observations and comments for you:
    You are letting the Kahr haters/nay sayers get to you on the Kahr issue....they are fine CCW handguns and dismissing them is a disservice to yourself. Most issues with Kahr guns are operator error related.

Yes you can easily remove the lock from a J Frame revolver even though the reported issues with lock prolems is really just a another internet forum myth IMO. And yes I did remove the lock from my J Frame anyway. There is a instructional video on You Tube that shows you how....its easy and quick.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

kpw
    Personally, I like the DAK. Some don't, though. I never witnessed any issues with light strikes but I don't own one either. I have limited experience shooting a friend's 239, 220 DAK.
    As for the BUG, the 26 is a great one but if your looking for a slimmer pistol, the steel Kahrs seem to have less problems. The poly Kahrs usually show problems from the beginning if they are going to be problematic. Don't forget about the PPS.
    As for the 386, it's an L frame. Don't know about the Taurus but I'd presume it's similar in size.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Were I in your shoes, I'd get a Glock 31 or 22 for duty and a Glock 33 or 27 for BUG. Then I'd get a Glock 32 or 23 for an off duty gun. Of course, all would be in the same caliber. As an alternative to a subcompact Glock for a BUG, I'd have a snubbie.

I'm a big fan of the same manual of arms and trigger for all my carry guns.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

First off, what are your requirements for a "duty" gun? does it need to be concealed on and off duty? will you be carrying it off duty? were you thinking OWB or IWB for your concealed carry option? Have you considered SA/DA SIG's as well?

My dream set up (its in the works) is a P226 Elite Dark as my duty carry weapon, P229 Elite Stainless as my off duty carry weapon, P239 SAS as my CCW and my S&W M&P 340 as my BUG. I own 2 of the 4 already. I plan on having all 3 of the SIG's with the SRT SA/DA trigger that I love so well on my 229.

I carry generally OWB on the 229, but am planning on carrying IWB when I get my 239. All mine are .40 S&W except the 340PD - .357 :-)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Thanks guys for all the replies!
    I agree with you on the same manual of arms, however…

Glocks are good guns, but they do not fit my hands right. It’s the grip angle. The Glock 21 is too big for my small hands. The only reason I included the P220 is due to how well it fits my hands. Other than that, I am fine with a 9mm. The Glock just seems to be the most reliable 9mm SUBcompact out there. However I may give the Kahrs another look. I have decided to field some form of a Sig as my duty weapon, they just do the best job for me.

I looked at the specs on the S&W…I guess the 386 would be a fairly decent sized gun.

All Sig .45 solution

In light of your liking for Sigs, I would suggest the Sig P220 for your duty gun and the smaller Sig P245 for your CCW or backup gun. The advantages are the same trigger system and same caliber in both, plus the ability of the P245 to accept P220 magazines in a pinch.

I have a P220 for a range gun and have great confidence in the caliber and my ability to hit targets with it. It also feels good in my hand. I am considering a P245 as a CCW addition to that.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

If you are set on SIG, I'd go with the P220. Its flatter than the double stack guns, and that makes it easier to carry off-duty (I carried one off-duty for a couple of years). I haven't heard anything about light strikes with the DAK system, and both the NC Highway Patrol and Virginia State Police issue the 229 in 357 SIG with the DAK trigger. I suspect if there were issues, I've have heard about them (having been a LEO in VA for 10 years and currently a LEO in NC).

As for a BUG, I don't think you can beat a small revolver. I've carried a S&W J-frame of one sort or another as a BUG for the majority of my career (after trying several autos and finding them to be less than ideal). At the moment I'm using a DAO S&W 37-2 Airweight .38 Special. The S&W 442 and 642 are currently available without the lock (I've personally experienced a IL failure, while I expect its pretty rare it can happen, no sense in risking it). The lock is pretty easy to disable if you get a lock gun, but its easier to buy one that doesn't have it in the first place.

I'm one of those folks that likes an off-duty gun that is different from my on-duty BUG (in my case I carry a Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum or a M&P45). However, I think the SIG 220 would be fine for off-duty also.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Look at the 340 line from S&W. I have the M&P with a Steel cylinder but a Scandium frame. It is 13 oz unloaded. perfect setup for uniform pocket and ankle carry. Duty weapon the compact Sig sounds like a good bet for you. Look at the P220 carry model. Basically in dimensions it is the same size as a 229 but in .45. Would be an excellent duty and off duty gun. Sounds pretty much perfect to me.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I'll add this to your inquiry. Locally, the major PD's are carrying the S&W M&P 40 for duty. The Highway Patrol carry the SigSauer P226 in 40 caliber. What is the normal issue sidearm with your PD? IMO, for a BUG I'd carry a reliable lightweight revolver. For off duty, I'd probably stick with the same manufacturer as your duty gun. I recommend something lighter in weight, so you may have to drop to a 9mm. I do hope you keep in mind, everyone of us are simply giving recommendations. What I prefer the next guy may think is stupid. But, I think most would agree nothing below a 40 caliber for duty carry with max load in magazines.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    In light of your liking for Sigs, I would suggest the Sig P220 for your duty gun and the smaller Sig P245 for your CCW or backup gun. The advantages are the same trigger system and same caliber in both, plus the ability of the P245 to accept P220 magazines in a pinch.

I have a P220 for a range gun and have great confidence in the caliber and my ability to hit targets with it. It also feels good in my hand. I am considering a P245 as a CCW addition to that.
    This was my thinking also, or the P220 compact carry as BUG CCW. That way both your duty weapon and BUG have same operation.

Sig 220 one of the best Tactical .45 side arms to be had,but personally it just can't beat the 1911 platform over all,the numbers speak for themselves! Even the Special forces won't give the 1911 up,Like I said just my opinion! As for a BUG,You just can't beat a revolver for reliability when you need a backup,I beleive there making a 9mm snub with 6 shoots now,that's not a bad deal!If your dead set on a Sig go 9mm and have a 9mm auto and a 9mm revolver for a bug

Trigger pull isn't going to matter a hill of beans if death is staring you in the face and you have to go to your backup gun!

Since your agency will be issuing Sigs in 45 or 9, and if I were a person who of their own volition signed up to go towards trouble I would lean towards bigger holes (45) over smaller holes (9).

Additionally, I would push hard for the Sig P250 so your sidearm could be the same "manual of arms" as your BUG. Probably cheaper, too.

Full Size P250 .45

Subcompact P250 .45
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Links