Ruger LCP thoughts

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking about picking up a Ruger LCP to carry when running or biking. It seems like a good gun for the size and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP thoughts

VIP Member

Ruger LCP thoughts

I am thinking about picking up a Ruger LCP to carry when running or biking. It seems like a good gun for the size and I think it would be a good fit for an 'exercise' gun.

I haven't found any used locally yet, but I am not in a hurry so that's not a big deal, but what's a good price for one used, or a new one for that matter? I have been looking at Gun Broker, but it seems like the prices are all over and there is plenty of them that never get bid on at all.

If you have any general thoughts on the gun, or something similar in the same price range, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Use the search feature and type in LCP or Ruger LCP. You will a lot of threads on that particular gun with tons of information on them.

I have one. I love it, and it is a gun I'll never sell or get rid of. For me, it's a deep concealment back-up piece. I don't use it for primary carry, but if I had to on occasion I would.

It has been 100% reliable with all the ammo I have used in it which to date has been about 6 different brands and types. For defense rounds, I use Hornady Critical Defense or Speer Gold Dots.

It is an accurate little pop gun. Due to it's size, I find it to be more accurate in rapid fire as opposed to trying to perform slow aimed fire holding such a small gun. I can definitely shoot moving targets while shooting on the move and has great combat accuracy out to 10 - 12 yards. As a back-up gun, I purchased it, fully intending to only use it at "contact distance" out to about 5 or 6 feet.

As a new gun on the market, they had one "rare" issue which prompted a recall. There was a rare possibility with 1st run, 1st production guns that there may be an accidental discharge if you dropped the gun. My pistol is of the newer production run which has supposedly fixed the "potential" problem.

Again, my gun has been flawless and it is one I'll never sell or trade away. In fact I'll be getting a second one as a back-up gun for the wife. She really likes mine, and while I've let her use it, I'll have to get her one of her own because I'm likin' mine that much.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Have you considered a Kel Tec PF9?

It's similar in size, weight and price but it's chambered for more effective, more available and cheaper 9mm.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have it and a Keltec P3AT. After having put 100's (if not 1000+) rounds through each, I would recommend you consider the P3AT as well. There's differences but unlike many who think the LCP is in a totally different class than the P3AT (I used to think that) I've come through experience to see them as almost the same. Here's the pro's and cons of each:

P3AT
    Pros
    -cheaper
    -much better grip which is important in a small two finger hold
    -100% reliable (my own)
    Cons
    -perception as being a "cheap" gun
    -creates "smilies" on the next bullet in the mag; doesn't affect performance but bothers me

LCP
    Pros
    -much better looking as far as fit and finish
    -100% reliable after recal work was done and they tuned it up; prior to that it didn't like hollow points (not any of them)
    Cons
    -Almost slippery as far as the grip goes

The sights are better on the LCP but considering how this gun is used I don't think there's enough difference to make a difference. Trigger pull is about the same for both but my P3AT's pull is a little lighter and a tiny bit shorter but not enough difference to make a difference. Both are backed by good warranties.

I'd consider both and get the one you like the best. I do think the .380 is a very very nominal defensive round but for your purpose I don't think you can find a better suited gun.

Gideon

LCP
    -

The gun just came out this last year, probably why you can't find any used ones yet. The LCP (Light Compact Pistol) belongs a family of light Rugar handguns. The other is the LCR (Light Compact Revolver) which is a polymer frame 5-shot pistol in .38 SPL.

I bought a new LCP for my wife this Christmas, and I have to say I'm very impressed with the gun. However, as all light weight .380 ACPs are like to do, the LCP has a fairly snappy recoil. But it is quite accurate for a gun of its size (about the same size as the Keltech P3AT, and weighing in at just 9.5 oz fully loaded (6+1)) and very reliable.

I have read that Ruger is trying to compete with S & W in the light weight/air weight handgun market and the LCP/LCR combination is the result. Price on the LCP should be in the range of $329-$350 (in Florida anyway). The LCR is more expensive at $425 (at a gun show) to $599 (at Gander Mtn). My wife is now in loive with the LCR (right not the one I bought) ... so if you want to save yourself from the same buyers remorse you may want to check out the LCR before you buy ... wait a minute ... what am I saying? Buy both!

When shopping for my LCP about 6 months ago, "new" prices ranged from roughly $275 to $350. I ended up buying online and paid $305+$25 FFL transfer fee. "Used" prices will depend upon the condition of the handgun --- I don't think I would pay more than $275 for a used one in good-to-excellent condition. I haven't checked prices recently on the LCP, but, generally, all gun prices appear to be going up since demand remains high.

As for your intended purpose ... although relatively small and lightweight, when fully loaded it still has weight and needs to be carried securely --- especially if your activities are some sort of exercise. A belly band, tactical t-shirt with underarm carry --- something that holds it snug to your body. The pocket of a pair of cotton or nylon gym pants/shorts is not going to work.

I carry mine only as a BUG ... never as my single primary carry. I feel .380 simply isn't potent enough, but that's just my opinion. If I only carry one gun, it's always a revolver and never a semi-auto. For jogging, bicycling, etc., I carry a S&W 642 airweight with .38 +p, and a couple of speedloaders in a snug pouch on my waist. It's comfortable, yet still provides quick access to a reliable and unquestionably lethal caliber.

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

For me having a gun on me is much better than the cannon as home.

Wife and I both carry Kel Tec P3ATs with spare mag each.

She shoots the P3AT better than me and really likes to run the gun at the range.

As to 380 stopping power I was taught to shoot to stop the threat, therefore one shot stop is not the first issue of concern with me.

Recommend P3AT, and if LCP is as good a carry and reliably recommend it also.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Due to it's size, I find it to be more accurate in rapid fire as opposed to trying to perform slow aimed fire holding such a small gun. I can definitely shoot moving targets while shooting on the move and has great combat accuracy out to 10 - 12 yards. As a back-up gun, I purchased it, fully intending to only use it at "contact distance" out to about 5 or 6 feet.
    I'll take that statement to be honest, so let me first congratulate you on your ability to accurately shoot at moving targets out to 12 yards with a LCP.

I have one and I like it as well. It is a little too snappy for range use. My shooting concerns are more up close, accurate within my own personal safe zone for self defense. Along with it's light weight for EDC in a pocket.

The newer models with serial number 371-***** have been factory corrected. They will not need to be recalled for repair.

The prices seem to vary by area of the country. The price has gone up since it was released to the public, because it is a hot gun right now and Ruger knows it.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

i have an LCP and love it..
    i have used it for a primary, but is mostly used as a secondary gun.
    i to have been able to shoot pretty good with this weapon.

I highly recommend it.

there is alot of great info about the LCP as barkn stated.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

I called around a few local gun stores. I was going to buy online until I found one locally for $289 NEW!

My wife has one, and now I will have one as well. I have to confess that it may indeed become my primary carry piece. I have carried Glocks in a Smartcarry for over two years now, and I'm finding that the grip of the pistol is starting to cause me some pain from always pushing against me while driving (could also be that I gained a few pounds since my daughter was born a few months ago - lack of sleep leading to eating for quick energy...). I need deep concealment, and I've tried a bunch of carry methods - Smartcarry and pocket carry are the only ones that really worked for me.

In any case, the one advantage of the LCP over the P3at is the manual slide lock. You can lock the LCP open for cleaning, inspection, and easier loading of the first round. I wish it locked the slide open when the mag is empty, but it does not. With only 6 rounds in the mag, I'm going to make it a habit to practice a combat reload no matter how many shots are fired.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Thanks for all the great information so far! Lots of valuable insight to take into consideration, that's for sure...

I actually did start by doing a search, but this gun is mentioned so many times, I found myself overloaded with threads and was having some difficulty sorting through all of them for relevant information. Hopefully this thread might help the next guy with similar questions!

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    you might want to go to the elsie pea forum... elsiepea.com and get into their chat...its dedicated to that particular pistol and yoll find a lot of good information there...

as far as the pf9 being comparable in size...it is small but nowhere near a s small as the lcp for pocket carry...

another option is the new taurus tcp pt738 .380 very similar in size...slide locks on last shot and comes with 2 mags...growing in popularity fast because it has good feel in the hand and seems to be as reliable as the others...

VIP Member
    Thanks, I will have a look at both the forum and the Taurus offering.

For the record, I would probably carry in either a fanny pack or one of those belts that someone mentioned in the thread about exercising and carrying... I don't think I could effectively carry any gun in a pocket, while running.

I have a small problem with the Taurus TCP PT738, the mag has a finger extension that is wide and in the way for spare mag carry in pocket.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

+1 on buying an LCP as backup

And you can hunt waterbuffalo out to 300 yards as well!

Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links