TFO's on P228 Problem!!!

TFO's on P228 Problem!!!

This is a discussion on TFO's on P228 Problem!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally got my TFO's for my P228. But when I installed the rear sight I have a 1/16 + gap between the slide and ...

Thread: TFO's on P228 Problem!!!

TFO's on P228 Problem!!!

I finally got my TFO's for my P228. But when I installed the rear sight I have a 1/16 + gap between the slide and base of the sight. The sight is all the way down in the dovetail slot so it can't go any lower, but this gap can't be right. There is no gap on my Glocks, it fits tight to the top of the slide. Has anyone else had this issue? I have contacted tru glo but thought I would ask on a couple forums. Here is a photo of the sight installed. Thanks for the help.
    NCH

When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

A member of another forum posted pics of his P228 with TFO's and this gap is normal. I am not crazy about it, but I am glad it is normal for the TFO's. Not sure why the Glock TFO's fit so much tighter to the slide???

NCH
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Administrator
    Huh. I wouldnt like that either.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Maybe that's why the Sigs that have the TFO front from the factory still have the Siglite rear sight.

I have had lots of quality control issues with the TFO's that I USED to have. Will not use them again until they have years and years of positive reviews... and maybe not then.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    I have had lots of quality control issues with the TFO's that I USED to have. Will not use them again until they have years and years of positive reviews... and maybe not then.
    I'll second that! Installed one on the front of my 870 riot and it chipped. Installed a second one and it cracked. The old gold bead is back on. Will never own another again.

Glad I have a Surefire securely clamped firmly to the mag tube for night use. It'll take a licking unlike the cheap TG's. Point light and slap trigger!

NC, yours does not look like a good fit. I personally would not trust it. My NS's on my 228 are still glowing strong. Think I'll keep em.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I didn't need this to be a debate over the TFO's. I am aware of their past issues but I believe they have been corrected. The ones on my Glock have been 100% and carried daily for well over a year and over a thousand rounds through the gun. They are the brightest sights I have used and I have used them all. I have found out that the gap is normal, I really played with it last night and don't see how it can affect anything, but time will tell. If they end up being a problem I will put the Trijicons back on that I took off for these. Thanks for the help though.
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

The TFOs on my SIG P229 have the same gap above the slide. But, they shoot true and have never incurred any damaqe while being carried about 75% of the time.

I'd not worry about it.

As far as problems with them in general, I think they would have to be somewhat "abused" before they would show damage. I've found that they are built quite sturdy and the fiber is especially well shielded.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I have a set on my sig 245 that are the same way it doesn't effect the function. I just have gotten use to it.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    They are the brightest sights I have used and I have used them all.
    Talking day or night? Day they are very bright, but at night, my TFO's were the worst I have ever seen, barely glowing even in TOTAL darkness. And yes, there was that pesky fiber optic thing falling out on mine too. I am also probably in the "never buy again" category right now.

I didn't need this to be a debate over the TFO's.
    What's the fun in that!

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The TFO's on my Sig 226 are the same way, but they don't catch and haven't had any problems. Brightest non-electronic sights I've ever seen, day or night if you get the green or red. The yellow are kind of dim for some reason.

I agree day or night these are by far the brightest sights on the market today. Yes, I have tried most all of the other major players in this market. I just bought another P228, this one is a mint German made two tone. I have wanted one of these since they appeared in the gun mags in the 1990's. I was looking for another set of TFO's for this P228 and came across this thread. I thought I would update that I have carried the P228 mentioned above for the last couple years daily and have never had a single issue with these TFO sights. Maybe it will help someone else in the future.
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I didn't buy a P229 SCT because of that front sight. I just didn't like how much it flexed when you touched it. seemed kind of flimsy.

I should've bought it and just changed the sights to trijicons though. Kick myself.

Links