Kahr CW9 not chambering round?

This is a discussion on Kahr CW9 not chambering round? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have this problem? It looks like the the slide is causing the cartridge to straighten out, as opposed to letting it remain angled, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr CW9 not chambering round?

Kahr CW9 not chambering round?

Anyone have this problem? It looks like the the slide is causing the cartridge to straighten out, as opposed to letting it remain angled, and the round won't chamber. This is with both mags, anyone know what is causing this?

2. Remove Ads

Is it new ammo ? Maybe try something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Forget it..I am an idiot. Note to self..read instructions before playing around.

The instructions tell you to release the slide stop, and to have the slide already back, in order to chamber a round. I am used to sling shotting it.

So now that we have figured that out, anyone know where to get mags (or a part) to make the mag flush with the gun as opposed to having the little lip?

The CW9 is a nice little, light gun that conceals freaking awesome IWB, but it is not the pocket gun I was looking for. It looked good in my pocket at the store, without a holster and mirror, but when I got home and looked in the mirror and with a holster, it bulges like crazy. Funny thing is, it conceals better in pants I didn't think it would, than in pants I thought it would (in the pocket) go figure.

But for $400 OTD, I can't complain. I guess I have another reason to get the Luger LCR I wanted in the first place..that's if I can find one..

Funny... I was reading your post and I was thinking as I read "bet he's not using the slide release". I have carred the CW40 for some time now and the extra length on the mag does not bother me. I looked into getting another mag from KAHR ARMS ONLINE SHOP but could not figure out if there truly was a flush mag for the CW models. If you find there is one let me know....
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

Quote Originally Posted by Carry4MyFam View Post
    Funny... I was reading your post and I was thinking as I read "bet he's not using the slide release". I have carred the CW40 for some time now and the extra length on the mag does not bother me. I looked into getting another mag from KAHR ARMS ONLINE SHOP but could not figure out if there truly was a flush mag for the CW models. If you find there is one let me know....
    I know at one shop, the guy says it came with one flush and one with the lip. Of course, he could have meant another gun.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    You can put the Kahr flat base plate on the magazine, but it will still extend out of the mag well a little bit. Nobody that I know of makes aftermarket flat base plates that fill the gap.

Slide release...
    After the spring loosens up a bit you'll find you can slingshot the slide if you must.

VIP Member
    There is no flush fitting factory mag for the CW9/K9 series of pistols. The CW series comes with one mag, the K9 with two. There is an 8 round mag that has a longer extension on it, that I carry for spares. That way each reload has 8 rounds, the same as the 7+1 factory mag...

P.S. you can slingshot the slide, but you must do it very swiftly and stoutly or it will jam. It will get easier after a couple of hundred rounds...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

there is a guy that has a video on youtube that talks about the pm9 and the reasons that kahrs mag design. You may find it helpful. I dont have the link, but some searching should find it.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Quote Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
    there is a guy that has a video on youtube that talks about the pm9 and the reasons that kahrs mag design. You may find it helpful. I dont have the link, but some searching should find it.
    - It basically explains why the Kahr should not be loaded using the slingshot method, which the guy in the video insists on using as his method of loading the Kahr.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    You can put the Kahr flat base plate on the magazine, but it will still extend out of the mag well a little bit.
    Kahr part numbers 036M9S and 037M9S get you the left mag. File off the lip of a standard mag for the right mag. CW9 shown.

pic borrowed from another forum
    Last edited by ripley16; December 30th, 2009 at 07:43 AM.

It's not only an issue with loading the first round. It's also a potential issue if you ever need to clear a dud from the chamber using a standard "tap-rack-bang" drill. If you're using JHPs you stand a good chance of getting the next round stuck nose-down into the feed ramp, if there are more than 5 or so rounds left in the mag.

The fix is easy enough - smacking upwards hard on the bottom of the mag usually gets the stuck round to "nose up" and feed. Assuming, of course, you know to do this. With Kahrs the "tap-rack-bang" drill becomes a "tap-rack-tap-bang" drill.

Some folks' Kahrs don't seem to have this issue, while others do. Of those who do, most owners are willing to put up with this quirk (after all, duds with center-fire ammo are rare). Other owners, however, are not willing to put up with this quirk - including me!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

As much as I enjoyed carrying and shooting my CW9, I got rid of it due solely to this chambering "quirk".

The slingshot/overhand method of reloading is ingrained in me brain.

Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz View Post
    As much as I enjoyed carrying and shooting my CW9, I got rid of it due solely to this chambering "quirk".

The slingshot/overhand method of reloading is ingrained in me brain.
    As it should be. The slingshot/overhand method is a gross motor skill, while using the slide release is a fine motor skill. Fine motor skills degrade under stress. The Kahr apologists will poo-poo this point, but it is a valid concern. I always teach my students the slingshot/overhand method for this reason - it is easier to execute under stress.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    There is no flush fitting factory mag for the CW9/K9 series of pistols. The CW series comes with one mag, the K9 with two. There is an 8 round mag that has a longer extension on it, that I carry for spares. That way each reload has 8 rounds, the same as the 7+1 factory mag...

P.S. you can slingshot the slide, but you must do it very swiftly and stoutly or it will jam. It will get easier after a couple of hundred rounds...
    +1

I advanced the break-in by manually racking the slide very quickly and forcibly to simulate firing the pistol several hundred times. Did it hep, who knows, but I can now easily rack the slide and chamber the first round without the round wanting to nosedive. YMMV

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

...it is easier to execute under stress.
    How on Earth do you teach people to pull a trigger then? Is that any different than moving a thumb when those fine motor skills evaporate? Whether under stress or sipping a Pina Collada, what possible difference does it make? People do whatever it is they are trained to do. Both methods work equally well. Well.., the thumbed slide release is quicker, but who's counting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links