Night Stand Gun

This is a discussion on Night Stand Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Glock 21 seems tailor made for HD, Get the SF, load it up with an extended 30 round mag, mount a WL, and you ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Night Stand Gun

The Glock 21 seems tailor made for HD, Get the SF, load it up with an extended 30 round mag, mount a WL, and you have the ultimate in HD/zombie slaying protection. My friend has this exact rig, because he has a Kriss Super V that takes 30 round Glock mags. It isnt pracitcal for outside the house, but it makes one heck of a hold the fort gun.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

I'm using my XD45T for a nightstand gun. Occasionally I switch with the XD9SC, just for rotational purposes tho.

Mike
    SA LW Champion Operator x 2!
    DPMS AR-15

I carry one of two handguns concealed--either the 642 in the pocket or the XD40 4" in an MTAC. I use the XD as the nightstand gun because I don't want different a different manual of arms for a gun that I'll be needing to go to in a stressful situation in the middle of the night where I'll most likely be a little disoriented and not completely up to speed when needed most. I'm very familiar with both the 642 and XD. While the 642 is idiot-proof, the 5 round capacity and need for fine motor skills on reload in the middle of the night rule it out. The XD is point and shoot as well, mag changes are easier than revolver reloads, and it starts with over twice the capacity as the 642.

Of course, the Beretta 390 12 guage is close by as well (mag limiter is removed until I use it for birdhunting). I may put a home-defense pump shotgun on the birthday list...
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I'd usually recommend a 1911, but they dont have the capacity you specified (8+1).

In that case, I'd say that a Glock 21 (13+1), Springfield XD-45 (13+1), or S&W M&P-45 (10+1) would be the way to go. Cant go wrong with any of those three choices.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Forget the GAP guns, you'll be sorry you bought one.

S&W made a nice 10mm auto a few years back, the model number isn't coming to be right now. I don't think they are made anymore, but you should be able to find a used one fairly easy.

Out of curiosity what is the downside of gap guns? Too much recoil or something?

Quote Originally Posted by georgio View Post
    Out of curiosity what is the downside of gap guns? Too much recoil or something?
    Performance is fine, but its just that its been a bit of a flop commercially. GAP was intended to have .45 ACP performance in a gun with a smaller double-stack grip. Well, most of the gunmakers have figured out other ways to make smaller grips with normal .45 ACP, rendering the GAP's primary advantage largely irrelevant.

As such, the cartridge will eventually disappear. GAP ammo has never been "common", and will become even harder to find at "brick and mortar" stores in the future, thus more expensive. Although, it'll probably always be available from online specialty retailers.

I must be the odd man out. My night stand gun is a simple 5 shot .38 S&W revolver. Pick it up, point it and pull the trigger. No thinking involved. Not hugh in caliber because I prefer the round stay within the structure, yet large enough to drop an intruder. Big calibers are good. But I believe one has to consider ones home interior design. The number of people within the home, locations of each individuals room, etc. You certainly do not want to fire a round or two and find that it has exited your home and penetrated in a wall three houses away. Neither selection is wrong, it's just a personal preference. All within your comfort zone.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by georgio View Post
    No, its not a recoil issue. In addition to what Grant has already said, its one of logistics.

First, who is making GAP guns? One manufacture. Springfield made and XD chambered in GAP, I'm pretty sure they discontinued that.
    So, if Glock pulls the plug on its GAP pistols, you're done.

Then, go to your local gun shop and check out that wide array of ammunition available for your GAP pistol. How about the price on what they might have? I would not own a defensive pistol that ammunition is not widely available. It just doesnt make sense. The pros of the cartridge simply do not out weigh the cons.
    The very few police departments who made a short sighted decision and did buy GAPs found out rather quickly that logistics and supply play a huge role and most have switch to a more conventional caliber in a hurry.

Some of the same arguments could be made with the 10mm, but at least the 10mm has captured the interests of reloaders who are keeping interest alive in that cartridge.
    "Just blame Sixto"

EdC
    I have a Springfield XD45c. 10 +1 if I need more concealment capability, and 13 +1 when I don't. 4" bbl.

I have the M&P45 that I use for my nightstand/truck gun. It stays in a Tommy's Gun Pack with a couple of extra 14 round mags, flashlight and cell phone. What's nice about the gun pack is it keeps everything together so you're not fumbling for this or that and is a snap to put on regardless of what clothing (or lack of) you sleep in. You can get the 14 round mags at G&R Tactical for roughly $24. The M&P45 is really a great weapon that's very accurate and much more ergonomic than many polymer pistols plus has nice features like the interchangeable backstraps which helps "fit" it to your hand. Like most polymer pistols, it also has the picatinny rail for a light or light/laser combo. My wife has a Browning Pro-9 (essentially the same as the FNP-9) with the Insight M6 light/laser combo for her nightstand gun and it's a very sweet setup. I initially bought the M&P for my "beater" gun to keep unnecessary wear off of my Kimbers. After shooting it however, I was impressed enough that not only did it become one of my primary carry weapons but I also bought the wife the M&P9c and I will most likely pick up the 45c along with a full size M&P9. I personally think they're that good plus they are made in the good ol' USA!

I would also stick with the .45 ACP over the GAP or 10mm. You need something with ammo that's readily available (or as much as possible) that won't break the wallet so you can shoot often to become familiar with the gun. It would also be a better possibility to find a friend/acquaintance who reloads that would have the necessary dies for the common ACP as opposed to the GAP or 10mm which would also help reduce the cost of shooting.

I usually have to with in reach. First and on top is a full size bobtailed 1911a1 45 acp, under that ontop of the computer is usually my 38 revolver.

Nightstand Gun
    Mine is a G36 fully loaded and ready for action.

The G36 is a slimmed down .45 and feels pretty good in my averaged sized hands. The 7 rounds of .45 is plenty in power and round count for home defense, plus I have extra mags for reloads if I need um. I can always back my .45 with one of my nines if I need more firepower.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I saw a review on the FNP series of guns on tv and I have held one and they seem like a great idea for the money and the quality plus 3 magazines. Doenside is a bit large but perfect for home use since size wouldnt matter here.

Currently my carry gun of the day is a PM9 or my Glock 26...so whatever I carry stays in my nightstand at night. I dont have a dedicated home gun due to the issues of moving it from the safe everyday (I have a stepson in the house)...so it is easier ligistically for me to just use my carry gun for home.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

A wonderful XD!
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links