Night Stand Gun

Night Stand Gun

This is a discussion on Night Stand Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the last year or so I have really gotten into firearms, shooting as a hobby, and concealed carry. I have owned 5 pistols over ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Night Stand Gun

Night Stand Gun

In the last year or so I have really gotten into firearms, shooting as a hobby, and concealed carry. I have owned 5 pistols over the last year and still have 3. I currently have a Walther PPS in .40 S&W, a Taurus snubby in .38 Special +P, and as of today a Ruger LCP with a Crimson Trace on it. The problem is, for some reason I am ALREADY thinking about the next gun I "need." So while thinking of a niche I haven't filled with a handgun yet, I realized I could use something bigger, more powerful, and higher capacity than what I have. It would be mainly a nightstand gun (my PPS is currently filling the roll but I think I can do better) but also get use as a car gun for trips to bigger cities, and sometimes as a CC gun in the winter under a coat.
    So, I have decided that I would like a gun in either .45ACP, .45GAP or 10mm. (10mm could double as my backpacking gun but I am thinking I will want an excuse to buy a bigger revolver later.) I want at least 10 rounds in the magazine but more is better. I want a 4" barrel or bigger. I want to have the option of using lasers, lights, and night sights. I would like it to not be SAO so the trigger is similar to my other pistols. And I want to keep the price to about $700 for the pistol itself but could pay more for a good, practical reason. Also, I shoot Glocks well, but I don't really like how they feel in my hand. My coworker has a small one in 10mm that I shot and was accurate with, but I don't know that I really want one for myself.
    Any ideas? Is this even a good reason to buy a new gun?

VIP Member
    My nightstand gun is an XD45.... 4" barrel... 13 round mags. Sounds like it might be what you're looking for. It's considered a full size auto, has a rail, It's really soft shooting and feels smaller in my hand than some of my Glocks...

You definitely want a .44mag revolver minimum, for a outdoor gun if bears are an issue...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Yeah, where I hike wolves are staring to come back (doubt they would be a problem,) cougars are common, I occationally come across a blackbear but see plenty of sign, and there have been sightings of a grizzly or two wandering down from Canada sometimes, but that has never been "scientifically" confirmed by an expert.

XD45 4" Service model here too. 13+1 of Federal Hydroshock and a can of Fox Labs OC mounted high up next to the bedroom door. Also have a telescoping baton and LEDlenser flashlight in the nightstand.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Rats, I was about to suggest a Glock, as you can change calibers as easy as swapping out barrels. I don't know that any other brand has that versatility.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

+1 on the xd45 sweet gun lots of rounds. I would stay away from the 10mm they are expensive and hard to find. I would for sure get a LED tactical light to mount on the bottom rail, a must for things that go bump in the night.
    When SHTF I don't call 911, I call 1911
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    Kimber ultra carry II stainless steel
    HK uspc

GLOCK seems to fit every requirement you have. Regarding your statement "I don't really like how they feel in my hand," I think maybe that should not play a big role in your decision making process. See the following blog entry by Jeff Mau, a firearms instructor at Insights Training Center, for some thoughts on that subject.

InSights Training Center Blog Additional Info on Handgun Designs

Also, by your post it seems that caliber is pretty significant in your decision process. Maybe you should reconsider that. The blog entry at the link below, by John Fogh (another Insights firearms instructor) argues that reliability, shootability, and accuracy are far more important when choosing a self defense handgun/catridge combination. It also contains one of my favorite quotes, from John Holschen:

"Get a gun/cartridge combination that goes bang every time you pull the trigger and which you can shoot quickly and accurately. No common defensive handgun cartridge will quickly and reliably stop a human being who is committed to causing serious bodily harm, unless the bullet from that cartridge is applied to the correct anatomy. When the bullet is applied to the correct anatomy ANY of the 3 will serve equally well (9mm, .40, .45)."

InSights Training Center Blog 9mm vs. .40 vs. .45

Those are just the observations and opinions of the Insights Training Center staff, but I've grown to respect their collective wisdom quite a bit.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Same here for an XD45C (which is virtually the same size as a G19 w/10rd mag).
    I had FIST make me a nice custom leather holster that fits with my tac light attached.
    Anyone interested can search on my thread history to see it.

Glock 20!

If the main role was Home Defense, then I would go with the XD45

Administrator
    Forget the GAP guns, you'll be sorry you bought one.

S&W made a nice 10mm auto a few years back, the model number isn't coming to be right now. I don't think they are made anymore, but you should be able to find a used one fairly easy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sixto View Post
    forget the gap guns, you'll be sorry you bought one.

S&w made a nice 10mm auto a few years back, the model number isn't coming to be right now. I don't think they are made anymore, but you should be able to find a used one fairly easy.
    s&w 1076 and 1006?

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Forget the GAP guns, you'll be sorry you bought one.

S&W made a nice 10mm auto a few years back, the model number isn't coming to be right now. I don't think they are made anymore, but you should be able to find a used one fairly easy.
    1006?

Administrator
    There ya go. Smiths model system is easy enough... its been a long week.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Same gun that I carry all day Charter Arms Bulldog 44 spcl loaded with Hornady 200 gr. factory XTP ammo & my DB 12 ga. shotgun, loaded with #4 buckshot (Under my pillow ) just BSing but it is very near by my bed, along with a surefire light near by also.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I have two "go to" nightstand guns kept in a quick access electronic safe. Glock 38 (45 GAP) and XD 45 compact. The Glock light fits the XD compact too.

In regard to the comment about 45 GAP, the 38 is my favorite Glock to shoot and is good for IWB carry too. Many police departments use the GAP, don't think it's going to disappear. I bought a 39 as well. What a sweet shooting compact 45 the model 39 is! Even though the grip doesn't have room for the pinky (the idea is concealment) that pistol still feels like it has less kick than the 45 acp Colt Officers model, and I can get my whole hand on that one.

The XD 45 compact has the best feeling grip (IMO) for a high capacity 45. It's not any bigger than a Glock 19, or the 38. Holds 10 rounds of 45 acp in the flush fitting magazine. Kick? What kick... soft recoil for a 45. Also easy to conceal IWB.

For either the XD45 compact or the 38, I use either a Fist or Blade-Tech Kydex IWB holster.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links