Defensive Carry banner

Night Stand Gun

9K views 76 replies 62 participants last post by  ron8903 
#1 ·
In the last year or so I have really gotten into firearms, shooting as a hobby, and concealed carry. I have owned 5 pistols over the last year and still have 3. I currently have a Walther PPS in .40 S&W, a Taurus snubby in .38 Special +P, and as of today a Ruger LCP with a Crimson Trace on it. The problem is, for some reason I am ALREADY thinking about the next gun I "need." So while thinking of a niche I haven't filled with a handgun yet, I realized I could use something bigger, more powerful, and higher capacity than what I have. It would be mainly a nightstand gun (my PPS is currently filling the roll but I think I can do better) but also get use as a car gun for trips to bigger cities, and sometimes as a CC gun in the winter under a coat.
So, I have decided that I would like a gun in either .45ACP, .45GAP or 10mm. (10mm could double as my backpacking gun but I am thinking I will want an excuse to buy a bigger revolver later.) I want at least 10 rounds in the magazine but more is better. I want a 4" barrel or bigger. I want to have the option of using lasers, lights, and night sights. I would like it to not be SAO so the trigger is similar to my other pistols. And I want to keep the price to about $700 for the pistol itself but could pay more for a good, practical reason. Also, I shoot Glocks well, but I don't really like how they feel in my hand. My coworker has a small one in 10mm that I shot and was accurate with, but I don't know that I really want one for myself.
Any ideas? Is this even a good reason to buy a new gun?

See less See more
#2 ·
My nightstand gun is an XD45.... 4" barrel... 13 round mags. Sounds like it might be what you're looking for. It's considered a full size auto, has a rail, It's really soft shooting and feels smaller in my hand than some of my Glocks...

You definitely want a .44mag revolver minimum, for a outdoor gun if bears are an issue...

#3 ·
Yeah, where I hike wolves are staring to come back (doubt they would be a problem,) cougars are common, I occationally come across a blackbear but see plenty of sign, and there have been sightings of a grizzly or two wandering down from Canada sometimes, but that has never been "scientifically" confirmed by an expert.

#4 ·
XD45 4" Service model here too. 13+1 of Federal Hydroshock and a can of Fox Labs OC mounted high up next to the bedroom door. Also have a telescoping baton and LEDlenser flashlight in the nightstand.

#5 ·
Rats, I was about to suggest a Glock, as you can change calibers as easy as swapping out barrels. I don't know that any other brand has that versatility.

#6 ·
+1 on the xd45 sweet gun lots of rounds. I would stay away from the 10mm they are expensive and hard to find. I would for sure get a LED tactical light to mount on the bottom rail, a must for things that go bump in the night.

#7 ·
GLOCK seems to fit every requirement you have. Regarding your statement "I don't really like how they feel in my hand," I think maybe that should not play a big role in your decision making process. See the following blog entry by Jeff Mau, a firearms instructor at Insights Training Center, for some thoughts on that subject.

InSights Training Center Blog Additional Info on Handgun Designs

Also, by your post it seems that caliber is pretty significant in your decision process. Maybe you should reconsider that. The blog entry at the link below, by John Fogh (another Insights firearms instructor) argues that reliability, shootability, and accuracy are far more important when choosing a self defense handgun/catridge combination. It also contains one of my favorite quotes, from John Holschen:

"Get a gun/cartridge combination that goes bang every time you pull the trigger and which you can shoot quickly and accurately. No common defensive handgun cartridge will quickly and reliably stop a human being who is committed to causing serious bodily harm, unless the bullet from that cartridge is applied to the correct anatomy. When the bullet is applied to the correct anatomy ANY of the 3 will serve equally well (9mm, .40, .45)."

InSights Training Center Blog 9mm vs. .40 vs. .45

Those are just the observations and opinions of the Insights Training Center staff, but I've grown to respect their collective wisdom quite a bit.

#10 ·
Forget the GAP guns, you'll be sorry you bought one.

S&W made a nice 10mm auto a few years back, the model number isn't coming to be right now. I don't think they are made anymore, but you should be able to find a used one fairly easy.

#15 ·
I have two "go to" nightstand guns kept in a quick access electronic safe. Glock 38 (45 GAP) and XD 45 compact. The Glock light fits the XD compact too.

In regard to the comment about 45 GAP, the 38 is my favorite Glock to shoot and is good for IWB carry too. Many police departments use the GAP, don't think it's going to disappear. I bought a 39 as well. What a sweet shooting compact 45 the model 39 is! Even though the grip doesn't have room for the pinky (the idea is concealment) that pistol still feels like it has less kick than the 45 acp Colt Officers model, and I can get my whole hand on that one.

The XD 45 compact has the best feeling grip (IMO) for a high capacity 45. It's not any bigger than a Glock 19, or the 38. Holds 10 rounds of 45 acp in the flush fitting magazine. Kick? What kick... soft recoil for a 45. Also easy to conceal IWB.

For either the XD45 compact or the 38, I use either a Fist or Blade-Tech Kydex IWB holster.

#16 ·
The Glock 21 seems tailor made for HD, Get the SF, load it up with an extended 30 round mag, mount a WL, and you have the ultimate in HD/zombie slaying protection. My friend has this exact rig, because he has a Kriss Super V that takes 30 round Glock mags. It isnt pracitcal for outside the house, but it makes one heck of a hold the fort gun.

#18 ·
I carry one of two handguns concealed--either the 642 in the pocket or the XD40 4" in an MTAC. I use the XD as the nightstand gun because I don't want different a different manual of arms for a gun that I'll be needing to go to in a stressful situation in the middle of the night where I'll most likely be a little disoriented and not completely up to speed when needed most. I'm very familiar with both the 642 and XD. While the 642 is idiot-proof, the 5 round capacity and need for fine motor skills on reload in the middle of the night rule it out. The XD is point and shoot as well, mag changes are easier than revolver reloads, and it starts with over twice the capacity as the 642.

Of course, the Beretta 390 12 guage is close by as well (mag limiter is removed until I use it for birdhunting). I may put a home-defense pump shotgun on the birthday list...

#19 ·
I'd usually recommend a 1911, but they dont have the capacity you specified (8+1).

In that case, I'd say that a Glock 21 (13+1), Springfield XD-45 (13+1), or S&W M&P-45 (10+1) would be the way to go. Cant go wrong with any of those three choices.

#22 ·
I must be the odd man out. My night stand gun is a simple 5 shot .38 S&W revolver. Pick it up, point it and pull the trigger. No thinking involved. Not hugh in caliber because I prefer the round stay within the structure, yet large enough to drop an intruder. Big calibers are good. But I believe one has to consider ones home interior design. The number of people within the home, locations of each individuals room, etc. You certainly do not want to fire a round or two and find that it has exited your home and penetrated in a wall three houses away. Neither selection is wrong, it's just a personal preference. All within your comfort zone.

#25 ·
I have the M&P45 that I use for my nightstand/truck gun. It stays in a Tommy's Gun Pack with a couple of extra 14 round mags, flashlight and cell phone. What's nice about the gun pack is it keeps everything together so you're not fumbling for this or that and is a snap to put on regardless of what clothing (or lack of) you sleep in. You can get the 14 round mags at G&R Tactical for roughly $24. The M&P45 is really a great weapon that's very accurate and much more ergonomic than many polymer pistols plus has nice features like the interchangeable backstraps which helps "fit" it to your hand. Like most polymer pistols, it also has the picatinny rail for a light or light/laser combo. My wife has a Browning Pro-9 (essentially the same as the FNP-9) with the Insight M6 light/laser combo for her nightstand gun and it's a very sweet setup. I initially bought the M&P for my "beater" gun to keep unnecessary wear off of my Kimbers. After shooting it however, I was impressed enough that not only did it become one of my primary carry weapons but I also bought the wife the M&P9c and I will most likely pick up the 45c along with a full size M&P9. I personally think they're that good plus they are made in the good ol' USA!

I would also stick with the .45 ACP over the GAP or 10mm. You need something with ammo that's readily available (or as much as possible) that won't break the wallet so you can shoot often to become familiar with the gun. It would also be a better possibility to find a friend/acquaintance who reloads that would have the necessary dies for the common ACP as opposed to the GAP or 10mm which would also help reduce the cost of shooting.

#27 ·
Nightstand Gun
Mine is a G36 fully loaded and ready for action.

The G36 is a slimmed down .45 and feels pretty good in my averaged sized hands. The 7 rounds of .45 is plenty in power and round count for home defense, plus I have extra mags for reloads if I need um. I can always back my .45 with one of my nines if I need more firepower.

GBK

#29 ·
I saw a review on the FNP series of guns on tv and I have held one and they seem like a great idea for the money and the quality plus 3 magazines. Doenside is a bit large but perfect for home use since size wouldnt matter here.

Currently my carry gun of the day is a PM9 or my Glock 26...so whatever I carry stays in my nightstand at night. I dont have a dedicated home gun due to the issues of moving it from the safe everyday (I have a stepson in the house)...so it is easier ligistically for me to just use my carry gun for home.

#31 ·
Im with Grant on the 1911 suggestion, but do understand the lack of rounds. My Dan Wesson is my nightstand gun, loaded with Hydrashocks and night sights, with my SP2022 and Mossberg 590 within easy reach as well.

#32 ·
S&W .40 sigma compact 15+1 JHP with trijicon sights right by the bed
the back up is S&W 642 in the basket beside the bed with Hornaday critical defense:wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.