Smaller Thinner CC gun

Smaller Thinner CC gun

This is a discussion on Smaller Thinner CC gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently have a Glock 23(whos grips I hate but I can shoot it well and it works so I still have it) and a ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Smaller Thinner CC gun

Smaller Thinner CC gun

I currently have a Glock 23(whos grips I hate but I can shoot it well and it works so I still have it) and a Taurus CH85 revolver that I swap on and off for CC(the revolver is more comfortable and conceals better than the 23)

What im looking for is a smaller and thinner CC gun. the only criteria are it has to be a NON Glock and it should be smaller and or thinner than a Glock 23..im NOT as concerned about weight or round capacity. Guns ive been looking at or thinking of trading the Glock 23 in on are(in no particular order). Oh minimum of 9mm..no .380's. $500 or less including used guns.

1.Sig P6 (seems to be Glock 23 size but thinner)
    2. HK P7 (Pricey but can get for around $525..unfortunately they dont take trades on that lol so id have to save up and buy it straight out probably my FAVORITE CC gun if I could just pick one and afford it this is what id have right now)
    3. M&P Compact/XD Sub Compact(Glock like but tons better grips and reliable..probably just as thick as the Glock though)
    4. Taurus 709 Slim (well slim and 9mm)
    5. Kel Tec PF9(slim and small 9mm)
    6. Taurus PT111/140/145 (still smaller and I think thinner than a 23 but a bit more capacity then the 709.

If you can think of anything else let me know.

oh and I dont have a problem with any of the makes/models listed as far as reliability ive had numerous Tauruses and they all have run 100% for me.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i carry a taurus pt111, glock 19 and 30sf...the taurus is very easy to conceal iwb but there are times when i think the 709 would be great because it is so slim....i have been toying around with one for light carry...

ive found the kel tec to be a bruiser at the range...the grip is thin and squared making it hit hard in your palm....the p11 is wider and smoother on the hand...

VIP Member
    A used Kahr? I have no idea how much they cost in your area "previously owned."
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    I currently have a Glock 23(whos grips I hate but I can shoot it well and it works so I still have it) and a Taurus CH85 revolver that I swap on and off for CC(the revolver is more comfortable and conceals better than the 23)

What im looking for is a smaller and thinner CC gun. the only criteria are it has to be a NON Glock and it should be smaller and or thinner than a Glock 23..im NOT as concerned about weight or round capacity. Guns ive been looking at or thinking of trading the Glock 23 in on are(in no particular order). Oh minimum of 9mm..no .380's. $500 or less including used guns.

1.Sig P6 (seems to be Glock 23 size but thinner)
    2. HK P7 (Pricey but can get for around $525..unfortunately they dont take trades on that lol so id have to save up and buy it straight out probably my FAVORITE CC gun if I could just pick one and afford it this is what id have right now)
    3. M&P Compact/XD Sub Compact(Glock like but tons better grips and reliable..probably just as thick as the Glock though)
    4. Taurus 709 Slim (well slim and 9mm)
    5. Kel Tec PF9(slim and small 9mm)
    6. Taurus PT111/140/145 (still smaller and I think thinner than a 23 but a bit more capacity then the 709.

If you can think of anything else let me know.

oh and I dont have a problem with any of the makes/models listed as far as reliability ive had numerous Tauruses and they all have run 100% for me.
    Have you ever had a P7? While it's thin, it's not light.

Check out the Kahr line especially the CW9, CW40 or used P9, P40 etc.

You nailed it on the M&P and XD, it's about the same overally thickness. The Kahr is probably the most slim option out there other than the KelTecs and given a choice of the two I'd take a Kahr any day or the week.

I can't comment on the Taurus.

The P6 or 225 would be a good piece, but again it's not all that light and is only available in 9mm if I'm not mistaken, if you want to stay with a .40 that's out.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    A used Kahr? I have no idea how much they cost in your area "previously owned."
    ive not really looked good additional gun to look at thanks.

My vote would be the M&P 9, nice and thin, still higher capacity, and nice firearm. I have a XDSC9 and it is about the same as the Glock, just like you thought, so going to it wouldn't be the change you are looking for.

Have you considered a j-frame smith or similar sized revolver?

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Have you ever had a P7? While it's thin, it's not light.

Check out the Kahr line especially the CW9, CW40 or used P9, P40 etc.

You nailed it on the M&P and XD, it's about the same overally thickness. The Kahr is probably the most slim option out there other than the KelTecs and given a choice of the two I'd take a Kahr any day or the week.

I can't comment on the Taurus.

The P6 or 225 would be a good piece, but again it's not all that light and is only available in 9mm if I'm not mistaken, if you want to stay with a .40 that's out.
    Owned a P7 no, Held a P7 yes and its just fine..as I said im not concerned with the weight..I used to carry a 1911 back in the late 80's and had to give it back(well sell it back to a friend that was down on his luck and needed $$ I promised to sell it back to him when/if he got back on his feet and he did) to the original owner and that was also fine to carry.

I know the P7 was a good bit LIGHTER than the 1911 and felt pretty light in the hand to me. I like steel/alloy guns.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    Have you considered a j-frame smith or similar sized revolver?
    I have a Taurus CH85. Pretty much the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    I have a Taurus CH85. Pretty much the same thing.
    Just a suggestion. I carry a j-frame IWB during the summer, basiclly disappears.

Another recommendation for the Kahr CW series. Some have had issues with um, but my CW9 has been a sweet shooter and never had an issue within the 1000 rounds so far. YMMV

Just as a side note; The CW series are basically the same gun just not all the bells. Mine was $400 and change.

GBK
    Last edited by gottabkiddin; December 29th, 2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Add pricing for the CW
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Walther PPS or Kahr P9/P40

I believe the Walther PPS and the Kahr P series are among the thinnest guns in the market, with slide width of about 0.90 inches and grip width between 0.90 and 1.00 inches. These guns are available in either 9mm or .40 caliber.

By way of comparison, your Glock 23 has a slide width just a hair over 1.00 inches and a grip width of about 1.10 inches. (I have a Glock 23 and have measured it.) So you'd pick up at least 1/10 of an inch on reduced thickness with either the Walther or the polymer Kahrs. Of course you give up some capacity, as the double stack Glock 23 holds 13+1 rounds of .40, while the Walther and Kahr are single stack with much lower capacity.

You might have a price problem with the Walther or Kahr, given your $500 price point. But I offer these suggestions in case you decide to go a little higher in price.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Of the guns on that list, the Kel-Tec PF-9 is the smallest and thinnest. I've had one for a while now, and really like it.

Kahr CW40.... same as the P models just a little less eye candy and the sights are not dove tailed for change out. Thin/made well/40 S&W/I shoot it great/6+1/cheaper than the P models.
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

VIP Member
    Another vote for the CW40, if you're looking for something thinner than the G23. The CW series, is a great value IMO, with the only downside being no night sights. Of course for much less than the price difference between the CW and P series, you can buy the CT laserguard...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links