Defensive Carry banner

Your thoughts on the G27 please?

5K views 54 replies 45 participants last post by  rmarkob 
#1 ·
Ok. Well, I got a fabulous deal on a new G27, (it's less than our normal cost as a distributor!) so I'm thinking about buying one, BUT I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons here, so any input would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Pros:
*it's smaller than my Sig P239, so maybe it will be easier to conceal in warmer months.

*I'm told it's similar to my Sig's DAK where there are no external safeties, which is what I prefer.

*It's a .40 cal. Not to get into the whole debate about caliber here, and I LOVE my 9mm, but I suppose that in theory, it's not a bad idea to go up in caliber. I was always told to shoot the largest caliber you can safely, comfortably, accurately, and consistently shoot. I've got the 9 down pat now, so maybe I should work on 40?

*It's a Glock, what's not to love? :)

*The price.

The Cons:

*It's smaller than my Sig but a larger caliber. I'm concerned that it the resulting "kick" might not feel so comfortable in my little hands.

*It's a .40 caliber and I have issues with .40. It doesn't matter where I am on the range, whether I'm firing the .40 or someone else is, how I hold it, what make/model, I WILL GET HOT BRASS, guaranteed. I was recently on the line and 8 people down from the guy with the .40, I STILL got hot brass on my neck! :aargh4:

*It's not a Sig. :gah:

*Even with a great price, it's still not just pocket change, either.

I'm going to put a box or two of rounds through a friend's G27 on Thursday at the range, just to make sure I like the way it feels. But what do you guys think? Anyone regularly shoot one? Can you compare it to the P239? Especially you smaller ladies -- is it THAT much easier to conceal that it's worth buying another gun?

See less See more
#3 ·
The G27 is my EDC and the one that I shoot the most at the range. I can't compare it with the P239, but I can tell you that it is a great cc gun.

I believe that if you use proper shooting techniques (grip, stance, etc.) you will be able to handle the recoil. I'm pretty sure that you'll make the right decision after you shoot your friend's.

#4 ·
I've got a Glock 27. I think it's an excellent gun. I'm not a big guy - about 6 ft, 171 lbs, and I have no problem handling it. It's a bit of a challenge for me to conceal due to it's thickness, but others seem to have no problem with that. Personally, I really like a .40, and ammo seems to be pretty plentiful.

#5 ·
I carried one daily for 8 years. I could go back in a minute. One of the more accurate pistols I've owned. As for recoil, different loads feel...well different. There are plenty you'd find easily manageable. They tend to eject brass briskly but that's not a problem unless your off to the right of them. :wink:
DAK trigger is a bit different but I like both triggers. Glocks will reset faster.
If the price is that good, you could recoup most or all your money on a resale if you don't like it.

#6 ·
It is an excellent weapon...LEO friends of mine report being as accurate with it as their issued G22. I owned one and sold it on a whim. I wish I never had. I will own another one someday. Get it, you wont regret it, plus you can upsize mags with 23 and 22 mags. Plus look at these, they are very nice.

www.concealablecontrol.com

#7 ·
If you're getting a great deal on it, and you are not strapped for cash, and you are confident you can sell it used for what you paid for it, then even if it turns out that you don't want to keep it, it is a very small mistake at worst.

But in my experience, when I buy something that isn't what I really want, even if it is a good deal, I usually regret the purchase.

Regarding caliber, as you already know, 9mm, .40SW, and .45 are equally effective when applied to the correct anatomy. So if you've mastered 9mm, why change--especially for a defensive handgun?

#42 ·
If you're getting a great deal on it, and you are not strapped for cash, and you are confident you can sell it used for what you paid for it, then even if it turns out that you don't want to keep it, it is a very small mistake at worst.

But in my experience, when I buy something that isn't what I really want, even if it is a good deal, I usually regret the purchase.

Regarding caliber, as you already know, 9mm, .40SW, and .45 are equally effective when applied to the correct anatomy. So if you've mastered 9mm, why change--especially for a defensive handgun?
It is an excellent weapon...LEO friends of mine report being as accurate with it as their issued G22. I owned one and sold it on a whim. I wish I never had. I will own another one someday. Get it, you wont regret it, plus you can upsize mags with 23 and 22 mags. Plus look at these, they are very nice.

G A P H O M E
I love my 27, it is my EDC also. You won't regret buying it.
Enjoy it neighbor:wave:

looking at these^^^^posts ,it appears^^^you have your work cut out for you

Ok, so what's the speed of dark?

#10 ·
The G27 is my EDC for summer (switch to a G23 for winter). I have a Pierce extension on the magazine which makes a place for my pinky without increasing the grip size much. My spare magazine that I carry with it is a G22 (15 rounds) with a slide on piece that matches the grip. I recommend tryng the G27, especially if you are getting a good deal on it. If you aren't happy with it, I will likely take it off your hands for the same good deal so you would lose nothing.

#11 ·
I started my CC life with the G27. It's still with me almost ten years later. It will be back in my hands when I get my wife her G26. I'm toting the G23 now and it works well for me. The 40S&W is pretty much my favorite.

#12 ·
I love my G27. Don't worry about recoil: while I might be 5'11" and 200 lbs, I have really weak arms. No, really. And yet I can hit center of mass every time. It's all about learning to be confident with the recoil and don't let that infringe on a consistent trigger pull.

In an effort to reduce the recoil/increase confidence I got the Pierce pinky extensions. Don't bother. Once you learn to shoot it you won't need it. In fact, I bought four to go with my four magazines; I took two off. That way I have four mags for going to the range, two of which are just a little easier on my hands. Then I'll CC with the regular mags.

Get it and enjoy it. Hey, if nothing else, if it's such a good deal then you'll be able to sell it for a nice profit.

#15 ·
If you can wait another year or two, or three, there ought to be the 4th generation ones on the shelf. It might help with the hand size issue.

...just something to think about since most of us keep firearms for decades.

#16 ·
Get it, you'll love it... Get the GAP floor plates, I think they're better than the Pierce Grip Extensions, because they don't increase the grip length...

#17 ·
Mine is my EDC and fav by far. Same here as silo on the grip extensions, I prefer not to have them on my mags. A big plus is that you can carry the 15 round G22 mags cause they fit and give you large spare capacity. Mine runs without any hiccups what so ever.

#21 ·
I think you'll love it. :hand5:

The kick isn't bad at all due to the low bore axis there's very little muzzle flip. I have the G23, G26 and the G36 and all about the same when it comes to muzzle flip, it's just mostly missing. I was very surprised when I shot my G26 for the first time with the stock 10 round mag in it. I like to have all my fingers on the grip when I'm at the range vs CC. Due mostly to the low bore axis the recoil was more in straight back motion as apposed to up and back like my .40 24 7 Taurus. I don't have the G27, but being basically the same pistol as the 9mm, I can imagine the recoil will be similar just a little more snappy for the .40.

And like you said, it's a Glock. :hand10:

GBK

#22 ·
I'm going to put a box or two of rounds through a friend's G27 on Thursday at the range, just to make sure I like the way it feels. But what do you guys think? Anyone regularly shoot one? Can you compare it to the P239? Especially you smaller ladies -- is it THAT much easier to conceal that it's worth buying another gun?
No its not.
Whats that ? I just told you not to buy a Glock? I must be sick!!

You know I love my G26 and you like the way it shoots too ,but!
Its a still too wide too just disappear under cloths that fit right
and in my experience a woman likes her cloths to fit her, more so than men
This is the problem with trying to conceal a handgun under clothing , the gun must be small and thin to even come close to
doing this.

I would try a Wather PPS , I found a photo on the internet to show you what I'm talking about.[/ATTACH]

Attachments

#24 ·
You will love it. I just got my G26 because of ammo $$. You go and enjoy. I have shot the G27 loved it and had to make the choice. You can't go wrong with either one. Congrat's!

#26 ·
Get it. Then you can get a 9mm conversion barrel, a G26 magazine, and shoot the smaller round whenever you want. Sounds like a win/win situation to me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.