What's the smallest .40 S&W 1911?

This is a discussion on What's the smallest .40 S&W 1911? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does the Warthog come in .40? Looks like a nice little gun... looking for a 1911 style for CC. Thanks, -Freak...

Thread: What's the smallest .40 S&W 1911?

Does the Warthog come in .40? Looks like a nice little gun... looking for a 1911 style for CC.

Thanks,
    -Freak
    -Kel-Tec P3AT .380 w/ Crimson Trace Laserguard and Clip Extension (summer carry)
    -Kahr PM9 9mm w/ Crimson Trace Laserguard and Clip Extension (new summer carry)
    -Glock 27 .40 w/ Crimson Trace Laserguard and Clip Extension (winter carry)
    -Taurus PT945 .45 (more or less retired from carry)

JD
    Administrator
    The Warthawg used to come in .40 in the form of the P10-40, it is out of production. Kimber does small amounts of Ultras in .40, there's also the Springfield EMP and some models from STI.

The Colt Defender was also made in .40, but like the P10-40 has been discontinued in that caliber.

VIP Member
    Kahr PM40? I carry it in a pocket for a BUG but it's NOT a 1911. Kimber doesn't list a 40 in their Jan 09 catalog. Springfield Armory lists a couple of 40 EMP enhanced, like JD said. Besides one extra round, what advantages the 40 over the 45? IMO recoil and blast are quite similar, but Cor Bon 45+P is almost like a 10mm.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Senior Moderator
    Springfield Armory EMP - not just a chopped 1911, but totally redesigned and scaled to the 9mm and .40 cartridges. 8+1 capacity in .40.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I just bought a Kimber ultra carry II 3 inch barrel in .45 acp, I originally wanted one in .40 s&w but my gun shop said it could take 8 to 12 months to get one cause they make very few of them each year. Kimbers website doesn't even advertise the .40. I decided it wasn't worth the extra bullet it holds and didn't want to wait that long to get one.
    When SHTF I don't call 911, I call 1911
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    Kimber ultra carry II stainless steel
    HK uspc

JD
    Administrator
    Having had a total of three 1911s in .40, there's really no appeal IMHO. Especially in the 3" size, OTHER than the EMP as it's steel framed, there just aren't that many steel framed 3" 1911s out there.

I had a P16-40 and two Kimbers in .40. The Kimbers were extremely problematic. The P16-40 shot very well but was not well suited for concealed carry for me.

I also had a first run Para Nitehawg, and while it ran well it was an awkward carry gun for me due to the weight distribution, a different belt and holster probably would have solved my issues, lesson learned. The Parakote finish was crap, I don't know if it's gotten any better, but it was extremely susceptible to flaking and it didn't seem like the metal underneath was well protected.

If for some reason I had other guns in .40 and wanted a 1911 to go with, I'd either go with the EMP or get a custom job from Fusion Firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by noonan View Post
    I just bought a Kimber ultra carry II 3 inch barrel in .45 acp, I originally wanted one in .40 s&w but my gun shop said it could take 8 to 12 months to get one cause they make very few of them each year. Kimbers website doesn't even advertise the .40. I decided it wasn't worth the extra bullet it holds and didn't want to wait that long to get one.
    Kimber discontinued their 1911 40S&W due to FTF problems. That is what you often get when rechambering the full size 1911 for the shorter round. And also why Springfield completely redesigned the EMP for the 9MM and 40S&W.

Bill
    Bill Orr
    SMSgt, USAF (Ret)

NRA Life Member
    Utah and Idaho CCW holder

Cylinder & Slide's Adevnturer comes in 40S&W. The Adventurer seems to be the shortest (in height) 1911 out there.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Kimber does small amounts of Ultras in .40
    Do they still produce them? I can't seem to find any .40s on their site.

+1 on the EMP. Very thin, narrow grip, though a bit longer than it needs to be, in my opinion.

I held an EMP yesterday at the gun shop.....VERY sweet pistol!!!!! Almost too nice to carry. Great feel and balance. If it shoots as nice as it looks and feels, it's awesome. It's also nicely priced too. But if that's what you want and you can swing it, then it's a beauty for sure.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

DMM

Small 40

The EMP is a great 1911, narrow grip, designed from the ground up for shorter ammo like a 9mm or SW40. I bought one in 9mm for my wife and I occassionally carry it. Three dings, 6:00 sight picture, no laser accessories, and the safety pin spring is too light. I load it with 147gr, JHP's because the ballistics are pretty close to the SW40 on 1st shot knock down. Very accurate, light and easy to carry. Locked and cocked gives you 10 rounds in 9mm and 9 in SW40.

Distinguished Member Array C Bennett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Springfield Armory EMP - not just a chopped 1911, but totally redesigned and scaled to the 9mm and .40 cartridges. 8+1 capacity in .40.
    this would be my choice it was designed for this round and to work with the round..you WONT have any of the problems you may hear about with chopped .45 ACP those problems DONT exist with this gun...IF I had the $$ it would be my next cc gun

I love my EMP 40 S&W, and it is very concealable.
    Bill Orr
    SMSgt, USAF (Ret)

NRA Life Member
    Utah and Idaho CCW holder

I looked at an EMP today and decided against getting one. I was under the impression it was sized down a good bit from my Ultra CDP but that was simply not the case. Weight is about the same (the EMP may actually be a tiny bit heavier) and it looks about the same.

I believe it to be a great gun, But I'm not looking for a near exact copy of what I already have. I was really dissapointed because I've been looking forward to seeing this gun so much. If I didn't already have the Kimber, then I would of bought the EMP today.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links