Defensive Carry banner

Wheel gun for around $300

7K views 29 replies 28 participants last post by  puffer 
#1 ·
I just got a small Christmas bonus and would like to get a new gun. I'm looking for a decent wheel gun for around $300. I'd like something with a longer barrel and not a snub nose. Preferably a .357 of some sort. Anyone know anything that fits this?

#8 ·
my brother bought a Comanche; i believe they're made in Argentina, and are imported by Bersa. his has a 4" barrel, and it's a .38 Special; they also come in .357Mag, and .22. he paid $280, brand new, the .357 was only a few dollars more. can't find much about them on the net, but every shop i've been to has one or two. i've shot it, it's accurate enough for self defense.

#10 ·
Solid gun, in fact, damn near bulletproof. I got a pretty decent deal on a stainless one just ten years ago (thought a .357 would be good to have on hand for the Y2K debacle...). Mine has a 6-inch barrel, which is OK, but I'd prefer a 4" for ease of carrying.

The Security Six has adjustable sights, a nice feature. The Service Six is a fixed-sight version of the same gun.

The OEM wood stocks are killers, though, especially with full-house magnums. I quickly replaced mine with a Hogue monogrip. Not pretty, but the gun ain't exactly a beauty queen to begin with.

#12 ·
If you are considering a used gun, look for a Ruger GP100, great guns. if you don't want to pay the extra $'s that comes along with the name Smith & Wesson.
Of course a used Model 65, Model 27 or 686 are also great guns.

#13 ·
A BIG + 1000 on the Security Six, Exsellent revolver!! I have one made back
in 1975, It was my daddy's Duty weapon with manny full house loads thrugh it
& still LOCKS up solid, & shoots GREAT ; )
H/D

#14 ·
You pays your $ and takes your chance!

Consider a used S&W or Ruger.
Make sure the gun is empty.
Thumbcock the hammer.
Make sure the Cylinder will not rotate, it should lock when the hammer is cocked.
Look inside the back of the cylinder at the top, hold the trigger back and let the hammer down slowly as you contnue to hold the trigger to the rear, you should see the firing pin through the gap at the top chamber.
Thumbcock it again, let the hammer down again slowly but this time release the trigger before the hammer comes down. You should NOT see the firing pin extrude. This means that the transfer bar or hammer block ARE properly installed.
If the Firing Pin does extrude that gun is NOT SAFE TO CARRY WITH AROUND UNDER THE HAMMER! It will fire if dropped on the hammer.
Finally, make certain that the gun cycles correctly when operated double action by dry firing the gun and watching the cylinder rotate.
Remember to make sure that the cylinder locks in alignment with the forcing cone / barrel at the end of each cycle.
Used guns are like used cars, maybe you are getting a deal or maybe you are buying someone's old headache.
If I were in your shoes, I'd save up and buy either a GP-100 or S&W 686, New In Box!:image035:

#17 ·
I found a S&W model 13 which is a 4" k frame in 357. I think I paid $250.00 for it two years ago. I dont shoot a lot of 357 ($) but it is the cats meow with 38 special. I carry it often the trigger is as buttery smooth as anything I have ever pulled. I rotate between this and my Glock 26. Long story short I love my 4" k frame.

#18 ·
I bought a Dan Wesson 15V for about $300. The pro there is that you can switch barrels (mine is a 6", but I've seen them from 2" to 15"). They are K frame size, but a bit lighter than a 65 or 19 I believe. The con is that the cylinder release is at the front of the crane. Great lockup, very accurate, but if you carry also carry a Ruger Smith or Colt for defense it's a different reload procedure.

I'm actually thinking of selling mine fyi, because of the cylinder latch and how annoying finding iwb holsters for it is. If it's just for plinking (or hunting, games... Anything but carry, really) it's a great brand to look at.

#19 ·
#28 ·
Used .38/.357

Recently found a used 4" EAA .357 for 175.00 at a local Gander Mtn. I haven't heard of them before and when asked why it was priced so low, the guy behind the counter said that EAA made decent autos but their revolvers were terrible. I thought about it as I walked around the store and went back 3 minutes later...gone. I believe the same guy pulled it, maybe he didn't know it was there (it was mixed in with 20-25 other used guns) maybe for a friend. There were only 2 other people looking at guns and they were looking at autos when I arrived and left and returned! Now, in this poor economy, you may find a better deal than might be expected. A customer of mine was looking to sell 3 handguns and a 12ga just before the holidays. One of them was a 4" GP100 with the wood and rubber stocks on it...very nice looking. He wanted 1300.00 for all 4 (others were Beretta 92FS, Dan Wesson .44 and Weatherby 12 ga SA) but was willing to sell 'em individually. I tried to find someone to buy them and couldn't. He told me to make him an offer on the GP100. I didn't. Anyway, not that you want to take advantage of anybody, but there may be some deals out there right now. Don't be in a hurry, handle as many guns as you can before buying.

Ceapea

#29 ·
A .357 for $300 or less can be a tall order. My wife's Ruger SP101 was $375 used which I think is a pretty decent price for a great gun, but it's not under $300. My Dan Wesson Model 14 was $240 which I think I made out well. If you can find a DW in good working condition for under $300 get it! Hidden Defense: A Little Old School - Dan Wesson .357 Magnum

Other .357's that are out there that can be found at that price point are Rossi's, EAA's and if the stars are alined Ruger Speed/Service/Security Sixes. If you're not planning on putting thousands of rounds through it on a regular basis than the Rossi's & EAA's should hold up fine.

#30 ·
I have carried a Revolver for over 40 years (Mil.LEO & civilian)
Until about 15 years ago, only S&W.
Now I have added a SP101 as one of my 'primary carry guns ( as well as a .44 mag for the field.) IMHO,these 2 manufactures are the best. But even a GOOD used one most likely will not be in your $$$ range.(esp. S&W)

About 6 years ago, I procured 2 "Taurus' " A 4" .357 mag ( used & a "ported" mdle. no longer made) & a 6' .22.(new) I got them for my students to use. BOTH Guns have had a lot of rnd.s put through the. (use primarly .38 in the .357) They have preformed "flawlessly") The only thing, the .22 is very stiff in double action.

At their $$$ a Tarus may be interest to you.

Puffer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.