Wheel gun for around $300

This is a discussion on Wheel gun for around $300 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got a small Christmas bonus and would like to get a new gun. I'm looking for a decent wheel gun for around $300. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel gun for around $300

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Question Wheel gun for around $300

I just got a small Christmas bonus and would like to get a new gun. I'm looking for a decent wheel gun for around $300. I'd like something with a longer barrel and not a snub nose. Preferably a .357 of some sort. Anyone know anything that fits this?

2. Remove Ads

Look at the Ruger SP101 .357 with a 3.06" barrel.
    They are nice revolvers. Well built, sturdy and accurate.
    Haven't had a single problem with over 600 rounds thorugh it.

For $300 I'd think you are going to have to go used. J&G has used S&W revolvers in very good condition for $209.95, but it is a .38 spec not .357.

Going to be kinda hard to find one for $300.

J&G Smith & Wesson Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by nc sp101 View Post
    Look at the Ruger SP101 .357 with a 3.06" barrel.
    They are nice revolvers. Well built, sturdy and accurate.
    Haven't had a single problem with over 600 rounds thorugh it.
    sp101's are well over $300 I would be surprised if you could find even a used one under $350.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar

What he said

Quote Originally Posted by Rigrat View Post
    For $300 I'd think you are going to have to go used. J&G has used S&W revolvers in very good condition for $209.95, but it is a .38 spec not .357.

A used S&W or a Charter, Welcome to Charter Arms, American made and decent. Not fabulous, just decent.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rigrat View Post

I'll second that choice. I've picked up two M64s that were police turn-ins, and they are sweet shooters. One is a 4-inch that probably sat in an administrator's drawer, since it has zero holster wear and looks to be shot very little. The other is a 2-inch snub with a factory DAO conversion, now sporting Eagle "Secret Servce" grips. Both excellent guns for the money, and with +P ammo you'll do all the damage you need to do on human predators.

The 4-inch ran me about $250, and the snub was right around $300 - both just about 2 years ago.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Taurus Model 85 UL. I like mine. I bought it for less than 300.00.

my brother bought a Comanche; i believe they're made in Argentina, and are imported by Bersa. his has a 4" barrel, and it's a .38 Special; they also come in .357Mag, and .22. he paid $280, brand new, the .357 was only a few dollars more. can't find much about them on the net, but every shop i've been to has one or two. i've shot it, it's accurate enough for self defense.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I saw the Ruger Security-Six... that looks like something I'm looking for. The price seems right too. What do people think of these? I prefer a .357 over a .38

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I saw the Ruger Security-Six... that looks like something I'm looking for. The price seems right too. What do people think of these? I prefer a .357 over a .38
    Solid gun, in fact, damn near bulletproof. I got a pretty decent deal on a stainless one just ten years ago (thought a .357 would be good to have on hand for the Y2K debacle...). Mine has a 6-inch barrel, which is OK, but I'd prefer a 4" for ease of carrying.

The Security Six has adjustable sights, a nice feature. The Service Six is a fixed-sight version of the same gun.

The OEM wood stocks are killers, though, especially with full-house magnums. I quickly replaced mine with a Hogue monogrip. Not pretty, but the gun ain't exactly a beauty queen to begin with.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Rossi makes a 4" .357 for around $350.
    With the exception of the M85 Taurus revolvers are a little ninja-ish with "judge", "raging bull" and "tracker" written all over them, but the Rossi's are a nice looking inexpensive wheelgun.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    If you are considering a used gun, look for a Ruger GP100, great guns. if you don't want to pay the extra $'s that comes along with the name Smith & Wesson.
    Of course a used Model 65, Model 27 or 686 are also great guns.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

A BIG + 1000 on the Security Six, Exsellent revolver!! I have one made back
    in 1975, It was my daddy's Duty weapon with manny full house loads thrugh it
    & still LOCKS up solid, & shoots GREAT ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

You pays your $ and takes your chance!

Consider a used S&W or Ruger.
    Make sure the gun is empty.
    Thumbcock the hammer.
    Make sure the Cylinder will not rotate, it should lock when the hammer is cocked.
    Look inside the back of the cylinder at the top, hold the trigger back and let the hammer down slowly as you contnue to hold the trigger to the rear, you should see the firing pin through the gap at the top chamber.
    Thumbcock it again, let the hammer down again slowly but this time release the trigger before the hammer comes down. You should NOT see the firing pin extrude. This means that the transfer bar or hammer block ARE properly installed.
    If the Firing Pin does extrude that gun is NOT SAFE TO CARRY WITH AROUND UNDER THE HAMMER! It will fire if dropped on the hammer.
    Finally, make certain that the gun cycles correctly when operated double action by dry firing the gun and watching the cylinder rotate.
    Remember to make sure that the cylinder locks in alignment with the forcing cone / barrel at the end of each cycle.
    Used guns are like used cars, maybe you are getting a deal or maybe you are buying someone's old headache.
    If I were in your shoes, I'd save up and buy either a GP-100 or S&W 686, New In Box!

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    If you found a used Security Six in good condition SNAP IT UP. That would probably be your best buy at under $300.

Bill
    Bill Orr
    SMSgt, USAF (Ret)

NRA Life Member
    Utah and Idaho CCW holder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links