Range report

Range report

This is a discussion on Range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Four of us went to the range yesterday and had a smorgasbord of pistols to shoot! I'm thinking of getting a Kahr and have been ...

Thread: Range report

Talking Range report

Four of us went to the range yesterday and had a smorgasbord of pistols to shoot! I'm thinking of getting a Kahr and have been looking at the PM 40 and PM 9. A friend and his wife have both so it was great to be able to shoot both. I have a Firestar 40 (small but HEAVY) so the Kahr felt a bit snappy compared to it. The 9mm felt really good!. I had never shot a 9mm before. We also shot our Springfield Micro-compacts in 45-always reliable and accurate! We both are still breaking in the LCPs but they seem to eat and spit out anything we feed them. They both have 100 to 150 rounds so far. Also in attendance were a Kimber in 45 and an H &K in 45. My husband just got back the Sig P238 that was sent back to the factory for not going into battery. It sadly, did not shoot very well at all-same problem. At the end, I shot my S &W 337PD with +P in it and wow! It felt REALLY snappy after shooting all the other semi-autos! Just a matter of perspective. It was a fun day and we finally lost the sun and had to head home. PS-after coming home, I scrubbed the Sig and we returned today to test fire. It shot flawlessly for the first 3 mags and then started the fail to go into battery stuff. The brass on the Lawman rounds were very black and singed. Cheap powder fouling the gun?? Will clean tonight and try other ammo.Fun last day of 2009 and fun beginning to 2010!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

glad you had a great day at the range. my p238 eats pmc's fmj rounds like candy, same with the 102 gr golden saber rounds. my reloads however...not so much..gotta tinker with it and get it to work

Looks like you had a great time ending 2009 and starting 2010. Great review; hope that the Sig feels better soon.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Keep practice shooting it will sort out. Happy new year!

Quote Originally Posted by surefire7 View Post
    Four of us went to the range yesterday and had a smorgasbord of pistols to shoot! I'm thinking of getting a Kahr and have been looking at the PM 40 and PM 9. A friend and his wife have both so it was great to be able to shoot both. I have a Firestar 40 (small but HEAVY) so the Kahr felt a bit snappy compared to it. The 9mm felt really good!. I had never shot a 9mm before. We also shot our Springfield Micro-compacts in 45-always reliable and accurate! We both are still breaking in the LCPs but they seem to eat and spit out anything we feed them. They both have 100 to 150 rounds so far. Also in attendance were a Kimber in 45 and an H &K in 45. My husband just got back the Sig P238 that was sent back to the factory for not going into battery. It sadly, did not shoot very well at all-same problem. At the end, I shot my S &W 337PD with +P in it and wow! It felt REALLY snappy after shooting all the other semi-autos! Just a matter of perspective. It was a fun day and we finally lost the sun and had to head home. PS-after coming home, I scrubbed the Sig and we returned today to test fire. It shot flawlessly for the first 3 mags and then started the fail to go into battery stuff. The brass on the Lawman rounds were very black and singed. Cheap powder fouling the gun?? Will clean tonight and try other ammo.Fun last day of 2009 and fun beginning to 2010!
    To me, it sounds like the Sig needs a good break in and it should settle down and become reliable. +1 on the Kahrs. I have the CW9 and really enjoy it when I take it to the range, it's a very good shooter, even with +p loads.

Good luck with the Sig. I would suggest, wipe it down good but don't lube it up at all, then manually rack the slide several times, even into the 100 count to force all the areas of friction to wear quickly. Then lube it up and run it again. I did this with my Kahr and have had no malfunctions from the start. It did like to nosedive the first round when manually charged, but even that disappeared after I did the same break in on it.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Links