Glock 33 Review

Glock 33 Review

This is a discussion on Glock 33 Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all-- Got my Glock 33 a few weeks ago -- my first and only gun (so far). Right now I'm using it as a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Glock 33 Review

Thumbs up Glock 33 Review

Hey all--

Got my Glock 33 a few weeks ago -- my first and only gun (so far).

Right now I'm using it as a primary weapon - have the 13 round mags with mag sleeves and 2 of the stock 9 round magazines as well.

I knew after shooting numerous kinds of guns - a few sigs, Walthers, a couple of revolvers, and numerous different glocks, that I would have a glock for my first weapon mainly for the ease of operation, cost/reliability/reputation aspect, etc.

After having narrowed it down to a mini-glock, I went to the range with a more experienced friend and we shot a 26, 27, and 30. Surprisingly, the 30 was the easiest for me to shoot. This was the exact opposite of what I was expecting because I'm a little guy (5'7") with little guy hands. I fully expected to not like the feel of the bigger, more powerful glock and the bigger grip and to revert to the smaller caliber gun because it would be easier to control. Not the case.

I shot more accurately with the larger caliber pistol and felt like I had a better grip on the somewhat more bulky .45.

I was set on a Glock 30SF, and started looking to buy one, but then the instructor of my CCW class told me not to overlook the G33. He said that it had less overall recoil than the .45 and that the 357 SIG is a more reliable feeding shape, has a more accurate trajectory, performs better from shorter barrels,
    performs better through barriers and yet is less prone to over-penetration in soft tissue. I did some research online and talked to a few more experienced shooters.

Even though I have heard some negative about it (lack of ammo availability, ridiculous recoil, not a good first gun to own, no better or more accurate than a 9mm +p+, etc, etc) I went ahead and purchased one anyway, and I have been very happy with it in the short period of time I have owned it.

I really don't see where all of the negative criticism comes from. I wouldn't call myself a novice, more of a newbie if you will, and after 500 rounds, I have had 0 trouble with the gun so far. Ammo is plentiful (have purchased from local Cabelas, online, etc, both JHP and FMJ ammo without any problems whatsoever), and easily concealed as well.

The thing is as easy to control as any other mini glock, and to be honest, even without the pinky grip, it's still a fun gun to shoot and may be even more comfortable without an extension.

I hear people complain about their hand/wrist hurts after putting a couple hundred rounds through it, but I have no clue what these folks are talking about. Even when really laying down rapid fire, I have no problem hitting my target with each shot I take. Double tapping is also no problem whatsoever.

All in all, I have been very happy with my purchase and look forward to expanding my horizons as far as caliber, size, and brand go, but I could not be more pleased with the purchase of my Glock 33.

Cheers!

-Ben

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Good the main thing is that you are happy with your gun... I found did a review on a Glock 26 vs. the S&W M&P 9 compact.. both really great HG's (handguns)... My carry gun is an S&W M&P 40... what i like about this gun.. besides the 15+1 clips... is I can swap a .357sig barrel in for my .40 barrel and i have two different rounds i get to choose from... check out all the different models S&W has in there 357sig line-up and you can have a .40cal gun too.

here is the link if your interested in a different brand like you mentioned above..YouTube - Baby Glock vs. M&P 9c
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    I really don't see where all of the negative criticism comes from. I wouldn't call myself a novice, more of a newbie if you will, and after 500 rounds, I have had 0 trouble with the gun so far. Ammo is plentiful (have purchased from local Cabelas, online, etc, both JHP and FMJ ammo without any problems whatsoever), and easily concealed as well.
    Every one has their own opinions. Every one is different in their likes and dislikes. The trick is finding a caliber/platform that works for YOU.

Never take someones opinion or several peoples opinions and base your decision on that alone. Do exactly what you did. Research and make up your own mind.

I am glad you found what works for you.

Good luck!
    PluggedNickle and ILoveSigs like this.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Congratulations on your new Glock 33! Glad things are going your way. I have yet to shoot any of the Glocks in 357sig, but most Glocks work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by justben View Post
    I'm a little guy (5'7") with little guy hands.
    , The Burger King commercial popped into my head when I read that.

Personally I think any Glock is a fine first pistol. Glad you're enjoying your new Glock, and the .357 is one hell of a defense round, it'll serve you well.
    PluggedNickle likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Congrats on your new Glock and thanks for the review. I have a G33 myself and like it a lot.

yes that is the way glocks are. 500 rounds with no problems right out of the box. pound for pound it is hard to beat a gun that will shoot right out of the box with no problems. all my new glocks did the same and my used glocks did also.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

You can also get a .40 cal barrel for your 33 and shoot a bit cheaper. You can also get a 9mm barrel too, but I wouldnt carry in this config unless you get 9mm mags and switch out the extractor and ejector.

I like your avatar picture..."I'm Kenny Powers!!!"
    Bigsteve113 likes this.

Congrats!
    You'll never regret your Glock purchase...I'm sure it will be the first of several others.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The .357 Sig is the caliber the air marshalls are carrying. I kind of wonder about the penetration of that round, not so much about punching a hole in the aircraft skin (not a problem) but about any innocent passengers in line.

I plan on getting the Glock 22 .40 next, then I can get the conversion barrels and go up to .357 Sig or down to the 9mm.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Glad you did your research and found a handgun you are happy with.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

To quote Art Garfunkle, "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest." What it boils down to is you have to be happy with the gun you buy, carry and decide to use to protect your life and the lives of your family and loved ones. The rest is details.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Thanks for the input and responses!

Put another hundred rounds through it today. Shot with another guy on the board who has a 27 and it was interesting to feel the recoil of the different models back to back. It's taken me a little time to figure out the correct amount of pressure to hold it with, but every time I shoot it, it feels better and better. It's kind of comparable to holding a hockey stick -- there's a saying about how "gripping the stick too tight" keeps guys from scoring. I have started using that logic with handling the pocket rocket as well and of course, my last 20 or so rounds were the most accurate when I was using this logic with the 33.

Oh and thanks silo for the pocket holster -- comfy!

Right there with you Justben. I wasn't consistent with my G27 until I realized I was holding it too tight and my posture was too rigid. Gratz on finding what works for you.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The .357 Sig is the caliber the air marshalls are carrying. I kind of wonder about the penetration of that round, not so much about punching a hole in the aircraft skin (not a problem) but about any innocent passengers in line.

I plan on getting the Glock 22 .40 next, then I can get the conversion barrels and go up to .357 Sig or down to the 9mm.
    I think the overpenetration issue with handguns is somewhat overblown. Is it possible? Sure. Probable? Doubtful at best. Handgun rounds are not rifle rounds that do all sorts of damage to the human body with power left over to continue destruction once exiting the body. Aside from penetration what about the rounds that just don't hit the badguy?
    I believe the air marshalls chose the .357 Sig because it has been shown to be one of the best rounds for passing through intermediate barriers such as: auto glass, auto doors, wooden framed doors, etc.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links