Summer Vacation Starts Soon...time for a NEW Gun

This is a discussion on Summer Vacation Starts Soon...time for a NEW Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, my wife said we can use the summer money we're getting for the training we'll be getting in June (after the start of vacation) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Vacation Starts Soon...time for a NEW Gun

Smile Summer Vacation Starts Soon...time for a NEW Gun

Okay, my wife said we can use the summer money we're getting for the training we'll be getting in June (after the start of vacation) for anything we want.

Since my wife is a teacher too and will be going to the same professional development clinic that I will be attending, she plans to buy jewelry making supplies.

As for me, I'm going to take the $800+/- and kick in a little bit more for a Sig P229 SAS + a NICE holster or two and a couple MORE mags. I think the Sig Anti Snag is the ultimate carry gun....if only for the fact that any cover garment just slides off of it to keep you in a concealed status. Then of course there are the other advantages....

Of course the 45 is always the caliber of preference. I love my 45's... both my
    Sig P245 and my H&K USP. The 1911's are safe queens. But the P245 has a really low std capacity for a 45 (6). The USPf solves that but carrying that monster AND a spare mag or two in the South Florida summer heat is basically begging to become a heat casualty. I hate that.

I have not fired any of the 40 sigs. I have dry fired the P229 SAS and I LOVED it. Couple that with 12 rd capacity in the 40 and that awesome "melted carry" feel and I think it's a winner. I just love the idea of carrying IWB with an 2XL Hawaiian shirt over a cotton "T-Shirt." I personally like the idea of the longer but smoother trigger pull. Also, it's (IMHO) a lighter trigger pull. Anyway, I'm goin' for the P229 SAS. Does this make sense? What I'm really askin', I guess, is have I done enough of a personal B.S. job to rationalize my expenditures to myself? C'mon folks! Help me out!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    As for me, I'm going to take the $800+/- and kick in a little bit more for a Sig P229 SAS + a NICE holster or two and a couple MORE mags.
    Good choice.......
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Ahh a good reason to buy a gun im not much on the 40 but the sas sigs look nice

Assistant Administrator
    With your available budget Jim I think that is an excellent choice - I too am not into .40 but sure as heck if I was that gun would be very high on my list.

There seems so much going for it - and the capacity is superb. I can't think of much to say to dissuade you to be honest.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I have a hard time carrying my duty P229, but manage....that said, I really appreciate my Kahr trio (PM9, P9 Covert and P45) for their slimness, lightweight, and reliability (at least my samples are reliable).
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Rationalize?

I was unaware I had to rationalize a new firarm purchase. I hope my wife doesnt hear about that.

I just got a Glock 30 to do the IWB Hawaiian shirt carry here in FL. I picked up a cheap Bagmaster IWB holster at a gun show over the weekend and it works fine. I may order a CrossBreed IWB because they look like they should be comfortable, concealable and are reasonably priced. Anyway, enjoy what you choose.

Richard

I know nothing about Sigs, but looked up the specs on the one you chose...my reaction was that 32 oz empty was more weight than I'm willing to tote. My comfort is enhanced more by light weight than small size, even though my choice is a sub-compact Glock. I carry my 35+ oz Beretta 92G-SD occassionally, and I sure find it uncomfortable to lug that much weight.

From what I've learned about Sigs, I'm sure it's a great firearm, so enjoy your new purchase!

Hey Ex sounds like a sweet gun let us know how it shoots. I always liked the sig line but $$$ was an issue for me so I opted for an springfield xdsc and I really like the gun. But any sig in my book is an excelent gun. My wife isnt to gun friendly havent converted her yet. But she dosent say to much about the six I currently own. So Ive stopped there. Have a great day.

Sixgun

Distinguished Member
    makes sense, buy it, buy it, buy it!
    RKBA

John

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I am envious. I would love one for carry. I think you will find the 40 to be to your liking after shooting it for a while. I truly enjoy my Glock 40. Be sure and post pics and a review when you get the rig together.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    What I'm really askin', I guess, is have I done enough of a personal B.S. job to rationalize my expenditures to myself? C'mon folks! Help me out!
    Consider it DONE, SIR!

Actually, I'm insanely jealous! Gun lust is SO ugly! It makes me feel so...cheapened. Ain't it GREAT! Have fun with it!

Hope you enjoy it. It's HEAVY !!

I carried mine on a generic leather belt slide all day in Homestead for the class this past weekend and it felt no heavier than my Glock. I got mine at Lou's at a good price. They have had the best prices on every gun I have priced around. I really like the look and feel of mine, and as soon as I replace the rear sight on mine I hope it will line up better for me. It is accurate and softer shooting than my Glock. I say go for it.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    You have worked hard motivating and expanding the young minds of our future leaders in America. So go forth and reward yourself for your service and dedication. How's that for helping you out?
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Well, Ex, we need a report, man! The P229 SAS? Show us the real deal!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links