A "wheelie's" light carry system.

This is a discussion on A "wheelie's" light carry system. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is for those who keep harping that revolvers are just too bulky and heavy for carry. I sometimes have to wear dress slacks or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A "wheelie's" light carry system.

This is for those who keep harping that revolvers are just too bulky and heavy for carry. I sometimes have to wear dress slacks or dressier jeans, so I have put together a "light" EDC system for those occasions. The revolver is a S&W 637 Airweight, the knife is the Spyderco Native (short and light but still has lot's of blade), the light is a Streamlite Stylus Pro and the Bianchi Speed Strip of course. For this configuration I usually slide the 637 into an Uncle Mike's pocket holster as it is pretty much minimal in size. Everything is concealable and light.

Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

VIP Member
    Good system... I use my 642 for the same scenario... BTW Quick Strips makes 5 round (speed) quick strips, they're a little smaller....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I have a 340 M&P for the same idea. I also use the Streamlight like that but I use the Microstream, just a bit smaller. I too use the 6 round speed strips like that, loaded the same way, with GDHP 135 grain Short Barrel. Nice set up.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Administrator
    Thats pretty much whats in my pockets right now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar

Bulky and heavy?
    I don't understand
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I wear a 686 with 2 1/2" barrel in OWB on days that I can cover it. But there are days it just is too much!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

I have almost the same setup here. Change the Spyderco out for a Leatherman Wave and I just recently replaced my Stylus pro with a 4Sevens Preon.
    Even thought the Wave is much bulkier, I just can't be without it, so damn useful.
    The Preon has several modes including dimmer and brighter than the Stylus which I think is more useful for day to day.
    Carry the J in either a TuffProducts pocket holster or an Alabama Holster Appendix rig.
    Still, things keep evolving, considering the addition of a small fixed blade for defensive purposes. Even though the Wave's blades are external, it's a bit awkward to get the right one. Wouldn't want to attack someone with the file ;)
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

The only thing I would change is the light, not enough lumens IMO, otherwise very nice system.

-Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

I carry speedstrips with my S&W 442, but I go ahead and put 6 rounds in it. I figure, why not? It's not taking up any more room, and what if I needed that last round? Any thoughts on that? Is there any particular reason NOT to carry 6? Just asking. Thanks.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The only thing I would change is the light, not enough lumens IMO, otherwise very nice system”

I normally carry a Surefire G2.
    Again, this system was meant for “lite” situations where the pockets could not hide much and there are no covering garments.

“I carry speedstrips with my S&W 442, but I go ahead and put 6 rounds in it. I figure, why not? It's not taking up any more room, and what if I needed that last round? Any thoughts on that? Is there any particular reason NOT to carry 6? Just asking. Thanks.”

Just my own philosophy on reloads. I have a lot of speed strips so I don’t worry about dropping one. That is the idea: reload and then drop strip, it is no longer in play. Sort of like the clip on a Garand. You use it, “ping” and it is gone. You don’t spend time looking for it or fumbling around trying to re-pocket it.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    A good setup....I do a similar carry.....S&W 36, speed strips, Surefire G2 with an LED drop in, and a folding Buck knife.....gun goes in a De Santis Nemesis.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    “The only thing I would change is the light, not enough lumens IMO, otherwise very nice system”

I normally carry a Surefire G2.
    Again, this system was meant for “lite” situations where the pockets could not hide much and there are no covering garments.

“I carry speedstrips with my S&W 442, but I go ahead and put 6 rounds in it. I figure, why not? It's not taking up any more room, and what if I needed that last round? Any thoughts on that? Is there any particular reason NOT to carry 6? Just asking. Thanks.”

Just my own philosophy on reloads. I have a lot of speed strips so I don’t worry about dropping one. That is the idea: reload and then drop strip, it is no longer in play. Sort of like the clip on a Garand. You use it, “ping” and it is gone. You don’t spend time looking for it or fumbling around trying to re-pocket it.
    You can insert two rounds leave a space and then insert three. That way you have two rounds lined up to insert for a reload, and three more to finish it. plus there is a space for you finger to grip the strip, and stabilize the first two rounds.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Nice little 'snubbie'...I also have the S&W 637...a great little gun for a quick trip to the corner store. I still like my Glock-36, tucked into the kidney...don't even know it's there.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    You can insert two rounds leave a space and then insert three. That way you have two rounds lined up to insert for a reload, and three more to finish it. plus there is a space for you finger to grip the strip, and stabilize the first two rounds.
    That makes sense. I guess I was thinking if I had 6, and dropped a round while trying to load, I would have an extra. I guess a spot for your finger in the middle would make it much easier and quicker. Luckily, I've never been in a shoot-out and pray to keep it that way. I'm guessing in a SD situation, if I need to reload my 5 shot snub, I'm likely toast anyway. Thanks for the feedback.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links