Looking to consolidate and fund a purchase

This is a discussion on Looking to consolidate and fund a purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Trying to figure out which ones to let go of to fund a 1911 purchase. I've pretty much got the basic concealed carry options covered ...

Thread: Looking to consolidate and fund a purchase

Trying to figure out which ones to let go of to fund a 1911 purchase.

I've pretty much got the basic concealed carry options covered with the following:

Kahr PM9
    S&W 442
    Glock 9mm and .40 S&W compacts and subcompacts
    Kimber Pro Raptor II

I'm trying to decide whether to sell either the Glocks in 9mm or Glocks in .40 S&W or a couple of Sigs I have (P226 9mm and P220 .45ACP).

I'm leaning towards keeping the Glocks in 9mm and selling the Sigs and possibly one or both of the Glocks in .40 S&W.

Looking to buy a Les Baer or Ed Brown 1911 after raising funds.

Thoughts?

I think that you should keep what you can shoot and conceal/carry better. Me, I would at least keep the Glock(s) and the 442.

As I think about you dilemma, I would probably have a few bake sales, car washes, sell aluminum cans, etc. to fund the new toy and not sell a thing.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I would ebay/garage sale other stuff and then buy a 1911 before selling off other guns, unless there is a particular gun you don't like/enjoy anymore. That's just me though.

I just recently purchased a Rock Island Armory 1911 5in tactical. I was sold on their customer service and solid reputation. Best part...it was $489 dollars out the door. Just an idear.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    If you're going to sell something, I would think about selling one each of the Glocks. That way you have one in both 9mm and .40, in case of an ammo shortage. You'll have some caliber options...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I'd sell all Glocks except for the 23, sell the PM9, Kimber and both Sigs and buy an Ed Brown and Springfield XD9 SC. Of course you'll now also need a Ruger SP101 with 2 1/4" barrel.
    I'm anonymous on the internet and you should definitely follow my advice.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

What I would do is based on what I think and what works for me. Doesn't mean it is right for anyone else. But since you asked...

I'd sell off both subcompact GLOCKs and the GLOCK 23. 1st, I don't like the .40SW caliber. If I want something bigger than a 9mm for a semi-auto, I'll carry a .45 ACP. IMO, the .40SW is a solution in search of a problem (I recently sold my last .40SW gun--a GLOCK 22). 2nd, I don't think the GLOCK subcompacts are much more concealable than the compacts (e.g. G19, G23). If I really want something more concealable that the G19, the Kahr PM9 and/or SW442 serve the role better the the GLOCK subcompacts.

If after selling the GLOCKs I still needed to sell something else, it would probably be either the Kahr or 442. I only really need one subcompact for my carry purposes. I'd probably keep the 442 over the PM9, but I'm not sure.

Good luck!
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

I would part with the SIG 220. Having two full-size 45 ACP handguns would be a waste to me. But, of course, that is just my opinion on the matter.
    Beretta 92FS

I'd sell all the Glock's but 1(9mm), the Kahr, & the 226.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Sell the 40s. Think of all the fun you could have going through your surplus .40 ammo before you sell!

Looking over what you have, I'd be inclined to consolidate by caliber.

Keep the Sigs. You'll never get what they're worth in a trade, and both are exquisitely reliable.

Keep the 442. You always need a snubby to drop in the pocket.

Keep the Kimber Pro Raptor. A man with a full-size 1911 needs a Commander-size 1911, and they use the same magazines.

Keep the PM9. You need a flat, sub-compact 9.

That leaves you with at least one full-size, hi-cap 9 and a compact 9, a .38 snubby, plus two 1911s and a DA auto in .45... I'd say that covers the bases, all are high-quality guns, and you've reduced your ammo inventory needs by one caliber.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

OK, beretta shotgun is sold pending funds. May have a buyer for the Glock 26 tonight. Will take the Glock 27 and Sig P220 to the gun show to sell. Keeping the Glock compacts.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Looking over what you have, I'd be inclined to consolidate by caliber.

Keep the Sigs. You'll never get what they're worth in a trade, and both are exquisitely reliable.

Keep the 442. You always need a snubby to drop in the pocket.

Keep the Kimber Pro Raptor. A man with a full-size 1911 needs a Commander-size 1911, and they use the same magazines.

Keep the PM9. You need a flat, sub-compact 9.

That leaves you with at least one full-size, hi-cap 9 and a compact 9, a .38 snubby, plus two 1911s and a DA auto in .45... I'd say that covers the bases, all are high-quality guns, and you've reduced your ammo inventory needs by one caliber.
    +1, I agree. I wouldn't give up the PM9. I'd sell the snubbie first, as the PM9 can also "drop in the pocket". with the .45 and 9mm, you don't need .40 S&W.

I'm usually the one to say never sell a gun, but what's strange is that I'm picking guns I never shoot to possibly fund an Ed Brown Special Forces. I've decided I'm not going to waste my money spending $800+ on a factory 1911 only to send it back to the factory 3 or 4 times.

I'd keep the Glocks in 9mm and the Sig 220 maybe just because I've always liked the 220.

ETA I see you've made some sales. Good luck with the rest!

Links