Conversion Barrels and CCW

This is a discussion on Conversion Barrels and CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking of picking up a G27 or a G33, and due to the converison possibilities of these, i essentially can have 3 great ...

View Poll Results: Would you Carry a 9mm Conversion Barrel? Please explain your answer, thanks!

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES: As long as it performed flawlessly when tested, I would CCW

24 75.00%
  • NO: For a CCW, I would not feel comfortable with a Conversion barrel

8 25.00%

Thread: Conversion Barrels and CCW

I am thinking of picking up a G27 or a G33, and due to the converison possibilities of these, i essentially can have 3 great calibers in one gun. This question is not about caliber or stopping power but about the reliability of conversion barrels, specifically changing a G27 or G33 to 9mm and CARRYING the conversion barrel. Now, I understand that the 27/33 are interchangeable so there would be no issues with converting them back and forth. The only potential problem might be when converting the 40/357 to 9mm.

I have read as much as I find about this type of conversion and 99% of the reviews and reports are positive. I know some people might ask why carry the 9 if you have a 40 or 357 and my answer would be..... if after testing all the calibers, I find that I control the 9mm much better, ie I am much more faster on follow-up shots and more accurate. Then I might want to carry the 9mm conversion. Also for a do it all gun, 9mm is widely available.

I guess I what I don't get is If there is no damage to the original parts, and there all these people using the conversion barrel with no reliability problems, then what's the issue with carrying a conversion barrel??

If you shoot faster and more accurately with 9mm, why bother getting a 27 at all? Just get the 26 and be happy with that, not having to worry about the reliability of a conversion barrel. Which, for that matter, if it came down to my life, I'd never rely on anything aftermarket that could diminish the reliability of an already perfect gun.

Just my thoughts.

The least I would do is get 9mm mags for the gun too. If you really want to do it right though, get the 9mm extractor and ejector as well. They are not hard to swap out. I can do it in less than 5 minutes.

If it was 100% reliable. I have a 40 S&W barrel for a 10MM that I don't carry with because it is not 100% reliable. Very accurate though.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silo View Post
    If you shoot faster and more accurately with 9mm, why bother getting a 27 at all? Just get the 26 and be happy with that, not having to worry about the reliability of a conversion barrel. Which, for that matter, if it came down to my life, I'd never rely on anything aftermarket that could diminish the reliability of an already perfect gun.

Just my thoughts.
    ^^^ I like how you think^^^

From what I understand it would be much harder to convert a 40/.357sig to a 9mm.....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Sponsored Links