Ruger LCP vs Kel-Tec P3AT

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP vs Kel-Tec P3AT within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone. I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands. My current CCW is a Kahr PM9, but I am considering something even ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Ruger LCP vs Kel-Tec P3AT

Hi everyone. I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands. My current CCW is a Kahr PM9, but I am considering something even smaller for a "throw in the pocket" gun, as the Kahr is a little too big for a comfortable pocket carry. This would be for when I can't carry the Kahr because of wardrobe or other issues. About the only pistols that seem to meet this requirement are the Kel-Tec P3AT, the Ruger LCP and the Taurus 738 series. I stumbled upon a gun/pawn shop that has all three available, and all for the same price ($300.00). I've ruled the Kahr P380 out because they are so expensive and very hard to find.

I'm leery of the taurus as every time I consider purchasing one there seems to be someone in the store with one complaining to the sales person about something wrong with it, so basically I'm down to the Kel-Tec and the Ruger. My concerns are reliability, concealability (but both seem to be about the same in this regard) and customer service. Which gun would be a better purchase, for the same money? I've had good luck with Ruger in the past but that was with revolvers and .22 autos. I've never had one of their centerfire autos before.

Thanks.

Administrator
    The Ruger is a little more refined. But, Ruger blatantly ripped off KelTec's design, and that doesn't sit well with me.
    I go to say that Keltec's customer service is grade A, Ruger is OK at best. For those reasons, I'd buy the KelTec.
    Richard58 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

take the ruger, much better. I own an LCP myself, a kel tec is a cheaper looking version. 300.00 for the ruger is a good price, they usually go for 350 when you can find one.
    as for the pm9 if your looking to part with it let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by kahr View Post
    take the ruger, much better.
    On what do you base this opinion?

They are basically carbon copies of one another. One feature on the Ruger I like is the slide lock.

Will the mags interchange?

One more question - the Ruger I looked at had a yellow dot on the side. Is that the mark that the recall work has been completed?

I've had this Kel Tec now for a little over four years and it's been fired about 1200 times. My brother-in-law has a Ruger LCP. The Ruger is better looking but functionally the same. The Kel Tec had some reliability issues at first. The Ruger was reliable but he had to send it back for the recall.

If I hadn't already gone the Kel Tec route I'd probably try the Ruger LCP but it isn't worth it to switch. Besides, I do my best to carry something more effective than a runt .380. I only got it because it is a far better choice than a .25 ACP when one desires something to really hide on his person.

There are a bunch of threads regarding both the Ruger and the Kel-Tek

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-thoughts.html

is a recent one regarding the Ruger, that came to mind, and I’m sure there are many many more.

Mind you both pistols are of the category, “carry often and shoot seldom”. So if you’re looking for a range gun, both are not for you. But, if you’re looking for a fine pocket pistol, then you can’t go wrong with ether.

I own the Kel-Tek, but if Ruger had been producing the LCP when I purchased the Kel-Tek I would have given it equal consideration.

So far I’ve shot the little Kel-Tek a total of about 100 times, and it has never had any hiccups, and it cycles hollow point ammo great. The only issue is when loading the firs hollow point requires you to release the slide, so the round will drive home hard and quickly, but other than that it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler View Post
    On what do you base this opinion?
    ya, I know ruger copyied the keltec, but look at the kel-tec, looks like its been glued together. they should take the time to improve there product. ruger did.
    i've looked at both of them, ya for alittle more money the lcp is a better looking ccw. I know they both are made to carry and not for shooting at the range.
    just my opinion.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Keltec
    -Should be cheaper than the LCP. It's not priced right if it's the same or the LCP is discounted
    -Keltec has a better grip but this is subjective

LCP
    -Better fit and finish; just a better looking gun

I have both and see no other advantages of one over the other. The slide lock on the LCP is worthless. It does NOT lock back after you fire the last round. It's only so you can lock the slide to the rear by manually pressing the slide lock in place as you hold the slide to the rear.

As far as how they shoot and handle, their identical but mags are NOT interchangeable.

Some will argue that one is more reliable than the other. No way to know or prove that in my opinion. Mine are both 100% although I did have to send my LCP back for recal.

Get the one you like the best because performance wise they're the same. As for "ripping of the design", they didn't. They copied it but the KelTec design didn't have any copy right on it. It was fair game.

Gideon

The slide lock on the LCP is useful for inspection, cleaning, and helping to load the first round. I also wish it locked open after the last round is fired.

That said, I would get the LCP over the P3at for this reason alone, if they are priced the same.

I have had very good luck with Ruger's customer service. They repaired my 10/22 and sent me a part for a M77 Mk II bolt rifle - no charge. My wife's LCP was subject to the recall - the repair took a while, but it has worked well.

I like the LCP so much, I just bought another one.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have been reading the Defensive Carry Forum for a while now and decided to join because of this thread. My LCP is a fine gun and I haven't had any issues with it. I bought it about a year ago. I did compare it to the Kel-Tec and felt that the LCP was a sturdier gun and better choice for me.
    If I were you , I'd look at the construction and then make a choice.

The LCP is slippery!
    Weapons list suppressed...........

i've looked at both of them, ya for alittle more money the lcp is a better looking ccw.

just my opinion.
    Hopefully, no one will ever see your CCW.

I don't own either but if I were to buy, I'd probably get the KT as it's cheaper and apparently not as slippery as the LCP. I don't think that there's any real data to support the LCP being "better" than the KT in any department other than looks (although the slide lock is kinda nice)

take the ruger, much better. I own an LCP myself, a kel tec is a cheaper looking version. 300.00 for the ruger is a good price, they usually go for 350 when you can find one.
    as for the pm9 if your looking to part with it let me know.
    to be clear, the Ruger is a more expensive looking version of the Keltec. the LCP may be nicer looking, but i don't see myself paying an extra $100 for a ripped of design.

i had the P3AT for awhile, and it was 100% reliable. i just couldn't afford the ammo anymore, and decided to consolidate all my ammo to just .45ACP and .38 Special. but, if i ever go back to .380, i'd get another Keltec.
    Richard58 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LCPcarrier View Post
    I have been reading the Defensive Carry Forum for a while now and decided to join because of this thread. My LCP is a fine gun and I haven't had any issues with it. I bought it about a year ago. I did compare it to the Kel-Tec and felt that the LCP was a sturdier gun and better choice for me.
    If I were you , I'd look at the construction and then make a choice.
    WELCOME aboard

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links