40 S&W for small hands?

40 S&W for small hands?

This is a discussion on 40 S&W for small hands? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been trying to find a 40S&W with the grip of a Sig p239. I have small hands/pointer finger and trigger reach is a problem ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 S&W for small hands?

40 S&W for small hands?

I've been trying to find a 40S&W with the grip of a Sig p239. I have small hands/pointer finger and trigger reach is a problem for me. I do know that the 239 comes in 40, but i'm interested in a longer barrel...4-5 in. Anyone know of a model that would fit the bill?
    Thanks for any info.

(Sure is cold in Cincinnati)

M&P with the small backstrap, maybe?
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

May we know the reason you are searching for a longer barrel? If it's for accuracy, you can't get more accurate than a Sig (IMHO).

Any more info you can give us before we recommend?
    "I believe that's my stapler."

NRA Member for Life
    "I can not, for all the Stars in Heaven, find one instance or occasion or a living example of a woman who gave birth to anything but another human being, regardless of the period of time that baby was in the womb".

I have very small hands, and I bought a sig p229. I love it kind of bulky for cc and it doesn't have a safety. Very reliable gun. Another gun that is good for small hands is hk uspc. Or the always reliable 1911.
    When SHTF I don't call 911, I call 1911
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    Kimber ultra carry II stainless steel
    HK uspc

Have you looked at the Kahr P40 (3.6" barrel) or PM40 (3" barrel)? They're also single stack and very thin.

Quote Originally Posted by golfnguns View Post
    May we know the reason you are searching for a longer barrel? If it's for accuracy, you can't get more accurate than a Sig (IMHO).

Any more info you can give us before we recommend?
    I have a P239 in 9mm. It doesn't seem to me that I would really get that much more "bang for the buck" by getting a 239 in 40S&W.
    Maybe I'm wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by noonan View Post
    I have very small hands, and I bought a sig p229. I love it kind of bulky for cc and it doesn't have a safety. Very reliable gun. Another gun that is good for small hands is hk uspc. Or the always reliable 1911.
    I held a p229 at a gun store and probably would have bought it if my trigger finger would have reached the trigger properly. I have to hold the pistol at 12:30 to 1:00 to reach the trigger correctly.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I'm no good with the links, but if you go to the Sig website SIG SAUER the P239 comes in 9mm, .40 and .357SIG
    Walk softly ...

I just purchased a p239 in 40 yesterday and although overslept was able to get to the range this morning for about an hour. I have small hands and for the sake of pride won't say they are girly, but not far off. This used pistol came with the hogue grips and shot groups that totally amazed me. single action and double were right where I wanted them. I left the range really impressed. I think Sig offers something I'm not used to and really like. Good luck with your search.

I agree with the P229 as a gun worth looking at. The .40 cartridge is designed to perform well in shorter barrels, so I don't think you'll gain as much from a longer barrel as you might with other calibers, and the P229 is at 3.9 inches anyway.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlee1948 View Post
    I've been trying to find a 40S&W with the grip of a Sig p239. I have small hands/pointer finger and trigger reach is a problem for me. I do know that the 239 comes in 40, but i'm interested in a longer barrel...4-5 in. Anyone know of a model that would fit the bill?
    Thanks for any info.

(Sure is cold in Cincinnati)
    Have a look at the Walther PPS chambered in .40. It comes with two different back straps. You will probably like the smaller one.

I own several handguns. my preference is Sig Sauer and Kimber. For light carry though I really like the Walther PPS. It is very accurate, ultra slim and designed to last.

It is a fine gun that will not fail you.

There are other options. Just don't buy junk.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Why not look at a .40 Hi Power?

That is unless you have to have a DA first shot.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Why not look at a .40 Hi Power?

That is unless you have to have a DA first shot.

Biker
    Yes, I've been trying but they seem to be scarce around here. One thing I don't understand though...If it's SA, how does that work on the first shot when the hammer is still forward?

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    I agree with the P229 as a gun worth looking at. The .40 cartridge is designed to perform well in shorter barrels, so I don't think you'll gain as much from a longer barrel as you might with other calibers, and the P229 is at 3.9 inches anyway.
    SO, do you think a P239 40 S&W would have enough of an edge over a P239 9mm to justify the cost? (In terms of "stopping power" and/or terminal ballistics and/or "one stop shot", etc, etc, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by mrlee1948 View Post
    Yes, I've been trying but they seem to be scarce around here. One thing I don't understand though...If it's SA, how does that work on the first shot when the hammer is still forward?
    The hammer is not carried in the forward position.

The gun is designed to be carried "cocked and locked". That is with the hammer back and the thumb safety engaged. To fire you have to "swipe" the thumb safety to the off position, which is done while drawing.

It sounds to me like you need to get some training from a qualified and competent instructor before using a single action "bottomfeeder". No disrespect intended, as we were all newbies at one time. Qualified instruction is a must!

As far as being hard to find, yest they can be that. I prefer buying online and having guns shipped to my FFL for a small fee.

Biker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links