I'm getting a Kahr PM9

This is a discussion on I'm getting a Kahr PM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The groomsmen and ushers in my wedding just told me they are getting me a Kahr PM9 as a gift. This might be the best ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm getting a Kahr PM9

I'm getting a Kahr PM9

The groomsmen and ushers in my wedding just told me they are getting me a Kahr PM9 as a gift. This might be the best gift I've ever been given. My brother-in-law said they might even have it in by this weekend and we are going shooting for my bachelor party (sober). I'm very excited and it feels good to know that I have such great friends.

I do have one question though. Can anyone tell me how to field strip it. I know you have to line up the two notches on the side, but what else and in what order. No one that sells Kahrs knows how to field strip them.

2. Remove Ads

Very nice congrats on gun and getting hitched..

Some of the kahr owners will be along shortly to tell ya how to field strip it i sure dont know dont have one

Yeah I've noticed alot of Kahr owners here.

VIP Member
    Jeez....I wish my best man and ushers got me a great present like that when I got married eons ago.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

So, is your wedding party available for use when I get married in about a year?

Congrats on the upcoming marriage and the new pistola.
    It's probably good though if your groomsmen don't give you any ammo. When you wake up the next morning and realize what you've done common sense, rationale and possibly your will to live will be out the window for a few moments.

Just kidding of course. I've been down the isle more than once and I'm still breathing. (barely)

I've got plenty. 400rds FMJ, 200 JHP. But won't need it for that reason. We are best friends, have been for 5 1/2 years. I'm looking forward to it.
    Last edited by '75scout; May 8th, 2006 at 11:36 PM.

Any gun is better than "NO GUN". I wish my buddies gave me a gun. Have fun and Congrats on the upcoming marriage.

frankmako

VIP Member
    Click on this link and this will take you to page that will let you download the Kahr manual.

http://www.kahr.com/download.html
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Thanks, it seems simple enough.

This is the gun I carry most simply because of its' size. Very concealible using a number methods.

Remember the 200 round break in period.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The slide stop on the little kahrs can be a bear to get to come out , personaly i use the corner of the mag on the little slot milled in the underneith of it ( seems to be there for that reason lol ) to pop the slide stop out to where it will swivle , then pull it out as you would a 1911 ) it gets easyer the more you clean it lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Congratulations.... on both things.

I carry a Kahr PM9 Covert (short PM9 frame, standard P9 barrel/slide) as my "always gun". It replaced my beloved S&W J-frame Airweights in that role after shooting it a while. I found that I shot it a LOT better than any snubby I've had (S&W of several varieties, and a couple of Colt Cobras), so it went in the pocket- after shooting it enough to trust it.

I had an MK9 (short frame, short barrel/slide) a few years ago, and it was so-so. I had the occasional failure of the slide to fully close. I understand Kahr was made aware of that happening some, and has corrected that potential problem, but I don't know for sure. Anyway, that's why I wanted one with the standard length slide/barrel.

Although I didn't trust it, I was happy enough with how that first one shot, handled, and carried to give them another try.
    I'm glad I did.
    It's worked just fine, and I really enjoy shooting it.

I hope you're just as happy as I am- again, on both counts!

VIP Member
    Hi '75scout,

As a former owner of a PM9094A, I can tell you it is not real easy at first to field strip the gun. The gun is very stiff until you break it in (about 200 rounds), but basically you do the following:

1. Remove the magazine and visually check the chamber to make sure it is empty.
    2. Hold the gun in your weak hand with your thumb through the trigger guard and the slide release facing you.
    3. Using your index finger, push the slide back about 1/2 inch until the two marks on the slide and frame align. It's real important to keep the marks aligned, or the slide release pin will not move.
    4. Holding the slide at that point, use a non-marring tool to push the pin of the slide release lever out of the pistol. I've also found that holding the gun and pressing the pin against a non-marring hard surface will also get the pin to start moving out of the pistol. You can then pry the pin out the rest of the way with your fingers, as the slide will stay put.
    5. Once the pin is out, ease the slide forward until it stops.
    6. Pull the trigger to release the striker and then let go of the trigger and push the slide forward off the frame.

Re-assembly also requires you to align the two marks and then work the pin back through the frame of the pistol. You have to have the slide and frame aligned so that you can see through the hole where the pin will be inserted. It gets easier with practice. The first couple of times, I broke into a heavy sweat and used up my lexicon of curse words.

Ben

Thanks Ben. I realized field stripping the Kahrs wasn't a piece of cake when nobody that sells them knows how too.

Do I need to clean it before my first range session? I didn't need to when I purchased my GLOCK but I'm not sure about the Kahr. If so what would the initial cleaning include? Frame rails, extractor, feedramp, ect? Pretty much everwhere I'd normally clean and oil it. Also do I oil it like a GLOCK, because they seem to be fairly similar in operation.
    Last edited by '75scout; May 10th, 2006 at 03:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links