My Sig P239

This is a discussion on My Sig P239 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I picked up my Sig P239 9mm this afternoon. I now have a new favorite pistol. My former favorite was my Bulgarian Makarov in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Sig P239

VIP Member

My Sig P239

Well, I picked up my Sig P239 9mm this afternoon. I now have a new favorite pistol. My former favorite was my Bulgarian Makarov in .380. Like the Mak the Sig hits what I aim at.

I stripped it and lubricated it and put my Hogue grips on as soon as I got it home. Then I went out to the country and set up the target stands that I build from PVC using the plans in American Handgunner that QKShooter told us about. http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=8847

I put 106 rounds through the Sig with no problems, not one. I fired 76 rounds of Winchester white box 124 gr. and 15 rounds of Remington UMC 124 gr. The Remington rounds were put into the mags randomly with the Winchester except for rounds 85-91 which were loaded when all the Winchester had been loaded. Both brands fired consistently though the Remington always hit lower than the Winchester. The last 15 rounds fired were 147 gr. jacketed hollow points. 5 of these were Federal Hydra-Shoks and 10 were Georgia Arms Gold Dot +P. I've had a box of these laying around for a couple of years and have never fired them because my S&W Model 439 is 23 years old and I did not want to damage it and the Skyy CPX-1 manual states specifically not to fire +P. Look at the picture of the target and you will see why the Sig is my new favorite. This pistol is a shooter.

There is one hole in the C zone and 2 holes together low in the A zone. These rounds were 3 of the Federal rounds. All the +P rounds are around the A with several together. This is the best target I have ever shot. The two other Federal rounds are up around the A as well. I knew which ones were the Federal rounds in the second mag and raised my aiming point a bit for them. The reason that there were only 15 hollow points fired is that I only had 15 with me. I just picked up some to see how they fed.

Boomer45, cali-da, Roadrunner, RCS2, P95Carry, MechE, Ron8903, and any others who recommended the P239 when I asked for help in deciding what to buy - thanks a bunch. The P239 was not only my original list of options, but several of you recommended it over my options. Then when I revised my list to remove the Kahrs and add the P239 a number of you added your recommendations. If I had ever doubted (which I haven't) that Combat Carry was the best gun forum this removed all doubts. Great advise and a really great pistol.

There are two problems now though. First, I have to wait 8 to 10 weeks for Kevin to get my Cochise Defender to me. And second, I now have to figure out how to come up with enough money to buy a P239 in .357 Sig.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Good/great gun. Shoot it often and have fun. The Sig brand has allways been a great gun with min problems. Go to the range and shoot it. Put 500 plus rounds down range before you carry the gun.

frankmako

Glad ya like it nice looking gun didn't the sas come with wood grips i see you said ya put hogues on it but wheres the pic with the original grips

Administrator

Thumbs up Thumbs Up Doc.

Fine shooting w/ a fantastic firearm. Congrats.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I bought my Sig 239 in 2002 and I have never had a single problem. This is an accurate pistol and not too bad for CCW.
    MY GUN, MY RIGHT!!

Assistant Administrator
    George - if only I had a pic of your wide grin - I think judging by your testimonial it had to be worth seeing!!

I am not of course surprised but also delighted you have had a trouble free and enjoyable warm-up with it. I fully expect your ''relationship'' to deepen over time - if it's good now - it'll be even better later

So glad at last you have it - now, you are really good to go!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Glad ya like it nice looking gun didn't the sas come with wood grips i see you said ya put hogues on it but wheres the pic with the original grips
    Bud, the SAS comes with wooden grips, but mine is the standard DA/SA model. It comes with standard polymer grips. They are ok, but the Hogues are much more comfortable.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Dr.: Great report - like Chris said - we'll all like to see your grin!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    George - if only I had a pic of your wide grin - I think judging by your testimonial it had to be worth seeing!!

I am not of course surprised but also delighted you have had a trouble free and enjoyable warm-up with it. I fully expect your ''relationship'' to deepen over time - if it's good now - it'll be even better later

So glad at last you have it - now, you are really good to go!
    Chris, I left the target set up on the target stand in the carport. When Leah came in from WeightWatchers she made some smart remark about not being able to resist putting it so that she would be sure to see it. That was true and I was grinning real big when she was saying it.

I don't know whether the shooting proves what a great pistol the Sig is or documents my belief that I cannot shoot double stacks. Maybe both. For sure the Sig is a great pistol. The other targets I shot were grouped very well. I fired most of the rounds from a modified Weaver stance using the right hand. I did, however, fire 16 rounds using each of the following: one handed right and left and two handed modified Weaver left hand. The groupings were good although not necessarily exactly where I wanted them. Sweet!
    George

Assistant Administrator
    I think several factors are at work George - great gun - single stack (good for you), and grips that suit.

Off hand and weak hand practice is near essential with any platform but I must say (and I think in fact my CT grips help too) - my weak hand shooting in particular is better with my SIG's than any other semi - or any other gun actually come to that!

Which is not to say it is stellar - just 'better' - relative word

I'll all but guarantee, you are already planning the next session!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg
    Bud, the SAS comes with wooden grips, but mine is the standard DA/SA model. It comes with standard polymer grips. They are ok, but the Hogues are much more comfortable.

Sorry about that i thought you were getting a SAS to must be all the talk about them here ... The new grips on the 220SAO dont look that great but feel pretty dang good compared to sig other stock grips

My uncle has a 239 exactly like yours. When I started my hunt for a ccw it came down to the 239 and a GLOCK 26. I chose the GLOCK 26 but the 239 would have served just as well. The 239 was a joy to shoot and with the original grips would have been great for me to carry (IMO hogues are too thick/sticky for me to carry, but great for range). I also love the looks. There is just something about the way the trigger guard flows into the frame than I like.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Sorry about that i thought you were getting a SAS to must be all the talk about them here ... The new grips on the 220SAO dont look that great but feel pretty dang good compared to sig other stock grips
    Bud, it seems like everybody but me was talking about the SAS. Call me a purist, but I like the single action shooting. One double action pull is enough for me.
    George

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by '75scout
    The 239 was a joy to shoot and with the original grips would have been great for me to carry (IMO hogues are too thick/sticky for me to carry, but great for range). I also love the looks. There is just something about the way the trigger guard flows into the frame than I like.
    As far as I can tell the Hogues I have are the same thickness as the original grip down on the gripping surface. They are softer and have the finger grooves at the front. They are thicker up near the slide and under the decocker and slide lock, but not enough to interfere with operations. I found them to be very comfortable. So far carrying with them has been no problem. Of course we are talking a matter of hours.
    George

Lead Moderator
    I love my 239, and also have the grips changed out. That seems to be one of the favorite things to do on a 239.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links