EDC FTE getting bad, advice?

This is a discussion on EDC FTE getting bad, advice? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my Taurus 709 "slim" (single stack 9mm) since 8/17/09 and it quickly became my EDC. I put about 150 rounds of Federal HydraShock ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EDC FTE getting bad, advice?

EDC FTE getting bad, advice?

I've had my Taurus 709 "slim" (single stack 9mm) since 8/17/09 and it quickly became my EDC. I put about 150 rounds of Federal HydraShock through it without a hiccup. From the beginning it never liked to feed WWB, about 1 FTE per 25 rounds. So, I quit using that at the range. I've tried Blazer brass, Remington, etc. They all jam as well. Over the past couple months, the FTE has become more frequent. Even the only reliable range ammo I've found (Federal and then the cheap Blazer steel cased crap) are now starting to FTE. Yes, I do clean my pistol well.

Today, it was horrible. The federal range ammo was at a rate of 1 FTE every magazine (4 mag's of 7 rounds each)!!! I didn't want to burn through my little remaining stock of Federal HP but man, my confidence in this piece is low right now....bottomed out. I'll be calling Taurus tomorrow to send it in for service, but I'm not sure I can ever trust it again and it now has over 1500 rounds through it so it should be broken in.

My question is...if the problem is resolved with service the first time and I sell/trade it in, what should I look at as a replacement? My criteria are: 1) single stack (thinner the better), 2) 9mm (keep almost all of my pistol ammo the same), 3) I prefer a hammer fire with a manual safety (not a must) and 4) RELIABLE, RELIABLE, RELIABLE. Question 2: would you even take the gun for a "test run" after repair or just sell it straight from Taurus as is?

Until it returns from Taurus, I'll carry (depending on attire) either my Cougar 9mm (15 round mags and reliable) or my old P64 (9x18) which is reliable. That P64 has a piece missing from the feed ramp and other internal "damage", it's a rough gun, but I can't get the dang thing to misfire at all...it's 34 years old and still goes bang every time.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

I would be checking the extractor and or ejector,most of the problems with different ammo is usually FTF,not FTE
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I would be checking the extractor and or ejector,most of the problems with different ammo is usually FTF,not FTE
    My first thought as well. Taurus, in some models, used/uses a plastic ejector that will cause problems, especially in some of thier older models. If it is damaged or worn it'll have to be replaced. Being a 'newer' gun makes me wonder though.......

I do not know if this is the case with your 709 but it's something I have seen before.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

You should seriously consider having it fixed, and then replacing it. You must have confidence in your EDC, and it must perform flawlessly.
    Guns: Glock 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30 & 36
    Rides: 2006 GTO with my turbo system and tune (635 RWHP); 2009 H-D Street Glide with many mods

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Bingo! That may be all it takes, and then you can once again be confident with your EDC. Otherwise, yes -- get a different gun. One you will be accurately, reliably, consistently, comfortably excellent with. Train to a minimum on the range, because if S ever HTF, you can suddenly drop performance by close to 50%. You want to make sure you're at or close to 100% when you practice with your EDC.

But it may just be a simple fix. I'd have it looked at by a professional or send it back to Taurus or something.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Administrator
    Send it to Taurus. In the months that they have it, save for a better gun. Consider this a lesson learned and move on.
    Once you get the Taurus back, sell it for whatever you can get for it and buy ammo for your new reputable gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Do a search - I think this is a known issue with this pistol.

Just reinforces a lesson I have had to learn the hard way myself - DO NOT ever buy any new gun the first year it comes out.

Once you get it back from Taurus, it will be up to you if you ever trust it again. I have been through the same thing myself - three times (I will not name the maker lest I be accused of "bashing" them...).

Maybe you can find a more comfortable way of carrying the handguns you already have that you do trust?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by GTOGuy View Post
    You should seriously consider having it fixed, and then replacing it. You must have confidence in your EDC, and it must perform flawlessly.
    yup, im trying to replace the Glock 23 but have not yet because I need something I know will work..not something I HOPE will work :)

Quote Originally Posted by xdcolorado View Post
    I've had my Taurus 709 "slim" (single stack 9mm) since 8/17/09 and it quickly became my EDC. I put about 150 rounds of Federal HydraShock through it without a hiccup. From the beginning it never liked to feed WWB, about 1 FTE per 25 rounds. So, I quit using that at the range. I've tried Blazer brass, Remington, etc. They all jam as well. Over the past couple months, the FTE has become more frequent. Even the only reliable range ammo I've found (Federal and then the cheap Blazer steel cased crap) are now starting to FTE. Yes, I do clean my pistol well.

Today, it was horrible. The federal range ammo was at a rate of 1 FTE every magazine (4 mag's of 7 rounds each)!!! I didn't want to burn through my little remaining stock of Federal HP but man, my confidence in this piece is low right now....bottomed out. I'll be calling Taurus tomorrow to send it in for service, but I'm not sure I can ever trust it again and it now has over 1500 rounds through it so it should be broken in.

My question is...if the problem is resolved with service the first time and I sell/trade it in, what should I look at as a replacement? My criteria are: 1) single stack (thinner the better), 2) 9mm (keep almost all of my pistol ammo the same), 3) I prefer a hammer fire with a manual safety (not a must) and 4) RELIABLE, RELIABLE, RELIABLE. Question 2: would you even take the gun for a "test run" after repair or just sell it straight from Taurus as is?

Until it returns from Taurus, I'll carry (depending on attire) either my Cougar 9mm (15 round mags and reliable) or my old P64 (9x18) which is reliable. That P64 has a piece missing from the feed ramp and other internal "damage", it's a rough gun, but I can't get the dang thing to misfire at all...it's 34 years old and still goes bang every time.

Thanks!
    Wow. Unfortunate. I've got 500 rounds through mine and it's been flawless with all types and brands of ammo. I have fallen in love with it as my EDC. I bought mine in November 09 from a dealer that has sold hundreds of them and hasn't had any complaints. I've read threads where the early ones had some bad extractors and ejectors out of the box, but once replaced by Taurus they've been 100%. With 1500 rounds through it and the problem popping up, it sounds like something has either worn, broke, or been bent. I've got mine apart now inspecting the extractor and ejector. You should be able to tell by shining a light on it if either are bent. Take it apart and take some pics of both and I'll compare to mine. Is yours failing to extract the empty chambered casing or failing to eject it from the pistol? I would call Taurus, send it back, and give it a try. That's the first time I've heard of this issue after that many rounds.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Send it to Taurus. In the months that they have it, save for a better gun. Consider this a lesson learned and move on.
    Once you get the Taurus back, sell it for whatever you can get for it and buy ammo for your new reputable gun.
    That is brutal but so true!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    That is brutal but so true!
    The truth is often brutal, that's life...

Taurus isn't an approved mfg. for carry guns by any agency around here... wonder why???
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Hopefully its something simple,and can be back in action soon.

If you have to replace it, you might want to think about a Glock, M&P, or an XD.

Something that has a strong reputation for reliability.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

If its not a wheelgun or a .22 pump rifle and says it Taurus on it, buy the gun next to it.

Yes, I know what you are saying. However, I would want to replace it with a single stack as the thinness is what I am looking for. I love my Cougar and it's utterly reliable for me, I'll carry that if I want something larger and in a double stack. I've used XD and Glock at the range but they just never fit me for whatever reason. The Cougar is like a glove, silky smooth trigger and accurate too.

I chose the Taurus 709 over the Kahr PM9, Walther PPS, Kel-Tec PF9, etc. If Beretta came out with a single stack version of the Cougar, I'd be in heaven. And not their new line of polymer, I love the fact that the Cougar could pound a nail if you had too (just kidding).

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Hopefully its something simple,and can be back in action soon.

If you have to replace it, you might want to think about a Glock, M&P, or an XD.

Something that has a strong reputation for reliability.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Sorry about your problems. I personally will not own any Taurus semi except for their 92 which is a DS and only for a range gun.

I too had a Springfield Champion that made 5 trips back to the factory for the same problems as your Taurus. After the 5th trip it ran and I wasted a buttload of ammo trying to break it in after each visit. I never trusted the .45 after that and went back to my 5" Springer which eats everything.

Weapons are like wives. If they let you down once it's hard to ever trust them again.

I'd recommend a SIG 239 to replace that Taurus. It too is a single stack and a fantastic semi.

I lucked into a H&K P7 that is my EDC. It's the most accurate and reliable semi I've ever owned or shot. You can still find them and they are worth every penny IMO. It's a single stack with 9 rounds ready to go. IF the extractor ever breaks it will still blow the empty case out due to it's gas system. It takes practice to get it's controls down but once you do it's a shooting machine.

If you really like the Cougar (I love em) you can carry that pistol with the right holster and outerwear. A good IWB holster and a Columbia Fishing Guide shirt allows me to pack a 3" 657 S&W .41 mag. undetected and I have never been made.

Let us know how long it take Taurus to get that pistol back. I've heard horror stories on Taurus's customer service.
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; January 10th, 2010 at 04:43 PM.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links