New Gun

New Gun

This is a discussion on New Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up the latest addition to my "collection" yesterday. After much research, testing and mulling over, I took possession of a Taurus PT145 Millenium ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Gun

New Gun

I picked up the latest addition to my "collection" yesterday. After much research, testing and mulling over, I took possession of a Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro. As soon as I got it home, I disassembled it, cleaned all of the grease and oil (not really much), checked for burrs, flashing, and all the stuff you would normally check, lightly lubed it and reassembled it. I am impressed by the quality of the gun considering the fact that I paid in the mid $300's for it.

Next in line is actually putting a couple of hundred rounds of different ammo and loads down range.

My course of fire will most likely be:

1) 100 Rounds of Winchester WB 230gr FMJ
    2) 25 Rounds of Federal Hydra Shok, 230gr JHP
    3) 25 Rounds of Remington Golden Sabre 185gr JHP
    4) Field strip and clean
    5) 100 Rounds of various range rounds, 10 rounds at a time.

I would like to put more PD rounds through the gun, but the expense and scarcity of ammo precludes that.

As with most of my guns, I'll start a dope book on this one and make entries every time I go to the range with it. At my age, a dope book takes away "the older I get, the better I was" issue out of the picture.

If there are no unexplained failures, I'll add this weapon to my inventory of carry guns, and after a few more range trips and a few hundred more rounds, will most likely become my normal carry weapon. At 22.2 oz empty, with the mag, it's a lot lighter and easier to carry than my Randall Raider (4.5" barrel, 33 oz unloaded with mag). I expect to return home with a slightly sore right wrist.

I was able to put close to 100 rounds down range through a friend's PT145 MP. This was the determining factor in the purchase of my own PT145 MP. I was surprised at the lack of recoil for a compact .45. Although there is a degree of muzzle hop, the recoil seems to be mostly rearward, allowing a timely re-acquisition of the sight picture.

After the first 2 or 3 mags during the evaluation of my friend's gun, I was able to hold 2-3" groups at 15 yards, and all in the "golden triangle" on the COM silhouette target. (Inside range, excellent lighting).

All in all, I think I've made a good choice. Taurus has made giant strides in the past few years in terms of quality and reliability. This gun will join it's cousin, a PT 24/7 DS in 9 mm.

Once I've put it through it's paces, I'll do a range report.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I have been very satisfied with my Taurus PT745 MP. The trigger on mine is a dream. Like you mentioned, the recoil is less than I expected from a .45.

I think you made a great choice. I own a PT 24/7 PRO and a PT 111 Millennium both in 9mm. Can't say enough good about them and carry the PT 111 most often. I have not had a single flub in 600-700 rounds between the two of them. They are on my do not sell list. I am quite sure you will not regret your purchase, enjoy! Also, Galco summer comfort IWB holster works very well for me with both, just fyi. Good shooting and keep us clued on the range reports.

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new pistola... I've heard nothing but good things about them and have been looking at them myself... Can't wait for the range report...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Congrats, but where's the pics?

I've not added pictures to my posts and am not sure how that's done. Do I have to put the picture on something like "photo bucket," or can I download an image right off my computer?

^ Depends on the size, click add reply, scroll further down you'll see "manage attachments" follow the prompts.

Pictures

Thanks. Hope this works. Top one is my 24/7 9mm, bottom is the 145 MP.

I hope to get out to do a little range test on the 145 sometime next week.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rmac58 View Post
    ^ Depends on the size, click add reply, scroll further down you'll see "manage attachments" follow the prompts.

Thanks. Worked just fine. Next time I'll know.

Yeah, I see, cool, now more!

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    congrats
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Congrats on the new gun. I have a Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP. Never had a problem with 1000+ rounds.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Nice!!! Let us know how it goes. My father-in-law just bought a Taurus PT111 and I was very impressed with it when we took it shooting. I've had a PT709 Slim for a few months with 500 rounds through it and it has been flawless. I've got my eye on a .40 caliber. I'd be very interested in your observations of the .45 in a compact carry gun.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

GM
    Congrats to the new gun; I hope you enjoy it
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Bersa T380 Duotone
    Taurus PT-145 MilPro
    Life is too short to be serious!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links