Ruger SP101

Ruger SP101

This is a discussion on Ruger SP101 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wish to purchase a Ruger SP101 and have a question for this forum. Would you all recommend the spurless hammer model or hammer with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SP101

Ruger SP101

I wish to purchase a Ruger SP101 and have a question for this forum. Would you all recommend the spurless hammer model or hammer with spur model? Also do you recommend the Crimsion Trace grips or standard grips? This unit will be for CC.

What barrel length do you want? If you get the snubby, I don't know how much help a laser grip will be.

The SP101 is an excellent choice. It's built like a tank and easy to conceal, although pocket carry is tough. My wife's is the 3.06" barrel. I wouldn't want to get in front of her.

Go for the spurless. Less chance of hanging up on anything. Execellent revolver and a very good shooter. Like nc sp101 said, it is built like a tank!!

The SP is built like a tank. They are heavy, but I prefer a gun of this weight because they are more fun for me to shoot. I would not choose it for myself as pocket carry gun, but I pretty much don't pocket carry. I have not had any problem with the hammer hanging on things. So to me for a gun of this weight there is not much advantage to a shrouded hammer.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    For dedicated CCW, I'd recommend spurless with the short barrel. Crimson trace is fine if you got the money to burn but not necessary and some would argue, not adviseable. the shorter barrel with spurred hammer is just a bit easier to conceal and carry than one with a hammer and/or longer barrel.

The hammer is a wasted piece of furniture on a dedicated CCW gun. you'll never take the time to cock it. If you're trying to be so careful as to want to cock it into single action for a hostage situation or some jazz then you're dreaming, have the wrong gun, and are quite possibly outside your legal rights.

Now if you want to also use this as a field gun for hiking, fishing, etc and CCW, then I'd recommend the longer barrel and a hammer.

Either way I'd recommend a reduced main spring that costs $8 and takes 5 minutes to install. It'll greatly improve the double action trigger pull of this fine gun.

Final option, get the spurless, short barreled version, send it to Gemini Customs to make it a beautiful and functional work of art. Then buy the long barreled version with a hammer and leave it stock as a working, bang around field gun.

Gideon
    Gideon

I have the spurless 2 1/4" with Crimson Trace grips. It is an awesome gun!

I haven't done anything to the gun besides add sight paint to the front sight, and the CT grips. I could see changing the spring out as it does have one heck of a DA pull. None of the women I let try it could get a round off because of the trigger pull.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I'd go spurless for concealed carry.

I have one of each. I carry the spurless one, the other is a house gun. I prefer spurless for carry so there's nothing to snag on jacket or shirt when drawing from CC. I don't have CT grips but I practice regularly and can hit what I aim at just fine. I don't feel the need for a laser beam.

Here is a great vid on how to take it apart if you do decide to swap out some springs on it, which I would recommend. If you do a search function, you can see mine. I put some badger grips on it and changed out the front sight to an XS Dot. Great gun.

YouTube - Off the rack...Ruger SP101 Disassembly

Personal preference. For concealed carry, I would go with the spurless. For home defense or range/field get the full-hammered model.

I have the spurless 2-1/4" for concealed carry and am hoping to get the spurred hammer, 3" model for one of the house guns.

VIP Member
    My vote is for the 3" version with a hammer spur... It's a little big for pocket carry, but can be done... It's really easy to learn to draw a spurred hammer wheel gun from a pocket... If you're carrying it on a belt holster, or IWB, there's no problem with the hammer snagging on your clothing... Except for a 642 all my wheel guns have had hammer spurs and have never snagged on anything...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Sorry I'm not trying to hijack the thread but does anyone have a link or know a website where I can buy a trigger spring for my sp 101. I'm thinking a 10 or 12lb.
    Dont mistake Kindness for Weakness!!!
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Kel-Tec PF-9
    Ruger SP 101 2 1/4" 357 mag

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I got mine from Gemini Customs...his base price for the gun alone was about 50-75 bucks cheaper than I could find it for in Cali, so I figured I was getting a deal on his custom package that runs around 200....great action job, chamfer cylinders, carry meld including hammer, polished trigger and pins, matte finish and fiber optic front sight....well worth the extra money....

Quote Originally Posted by chepo06 View Post
    Sorry I'm not trying to hijack the thread but does anyone have a link or know a website where I can buy a trigger spring for my sp 101. I'm thinking a 10 or 12lb.
    Springs for RUGER SINGLE ACTION SERIES Revolvers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links