Kahr MK40 Fails to fire - Slide will not remove

This is a discussion on Kahr MK40 Fails to fire - Slide will not remove within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just today, went through 50 rounds of Winchester 40 S&W 165 GR. Full Metal Jacket with no issues. Took a break for lunch and then ...

Thread: Kahr MK40 Fails to fire - Slide will not remove

Kahr MK40 Fails to fire - Slide will not remove

Just today, went through 50 rounds of Winchester 40 S&W 165 GR. Full Metal Jacket with no issues. Took a break for lunch and then shot 5 rounds. On the next clip... the firearm failed to fire. I was able to pull back on the slide and eject the round. Next round failed to fire. After ejecting the round and trying different clips to see if the clip was an issue, the results were all the same. Sounded like the Striker released with a little "ping" and no fire. I then tried to disassemble the Slide from the frame. After removing the Striker Release Lever and pulling the trigger... I was unable to release the Slide from the Frame. Whatever is causing the blockage seems to have spring tension. What should I do?

2. Remove Ads

Make SURE the gun isn't loaded and try to disassemble it. Line up the slide indicators and pull the slide release out. As you try to pull the slide off (forward), pull the trigger. The slide should come right off. You should then be able to find out what the issue is.

That's the problem... I'm unable to pull the slide off (forward) and pulling the trigger at the same time. Is the striker in a un-cocked position stopping the slide from moving forward?

Well... I had to do a complete tear-down... took the handles off to get the slide released... then took the slide apart to find a bit of debris and brass mix. The striker was not going in full strike position. I think I applied too much gun oil and fouled the slide striker.

I'm glad you fixed the situation. I know that you're not supposed to let any oil get into that part of the Kahr. :(

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDinWP View Post
    Well... I had to do a complete tear-down... took the handles off to get the slide released... then took the slide apart to find a bit of debris and brass mix. The striker was not going in full strike position. I think I applied too much gun oil and fouled the slide striker.
    You have to be very careful with some gun oil. Many guns could be considered almost self cleaning if if were not for corrosion. It may not be recommended, but I use very little oil after solvent cleaning and just a very slight spray of white lithium grease on two points at the back of the slide only. The grease will not come off and is far less prone to gumming up if used very sparingly.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Glad you got it figured out... The MK series of guns are pretty solid...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I've change over to the grease for my CW9 just because of oil in the striker channel. MY suggestion to you would be to do the same.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I use TW-25B grease almost exclusively for lube. Only time I use oil is when I need to get into the trigger group on long guns.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Kahr MK 9 Elite 98 - TheFiringLine Forums

Here is a photo of where to lube your Kahr and how much and with oil or grease. I found it helpful. Reference is from another Forum.....sorry.

That was helpful for all small autos...and the info on not using steel case ammo because of what it does to small auto extractors.

It's a good thing it wasn't a Taurus or you would be required to rub it with garlic, drive a stake through it, and then burn it in a sacrificial ceremony in a dark cave at midnight and hang the remains on a stick at the entrance as a warning to all of the evils they posess.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links