Trading my Ruger for a Glock? - Page 2

Trading my Ruger for a Glock?

This is a discussion on Trading my Ruger for a Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In addition to the Glock and the aforementioned S&W M&P, Springfield Armory also makes the polymer framed XD series. I am a big Glock fan, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trading my Ruger for a Glock?

In addition to the Glock and the aforementioned S&W M&P, Springfield Armory also makes the polymer framed XD series. I am a big Glock fan, but I also consider other applications depending on what I am buying. As an example, I wanted a compact or subcompact 9mm for EDC. I looked at the Glock 26, the S&W M&P compact and the XD9 subcompact. My local gun store had all three, and I thought I wanted the Glock 26, but the XD subcompact fit my hand better than the others. I bought the XD subcompact.

There are no reliability issues with a Glock, S&W or Springfield Armory, but they do have different trigger pulls. Keep the Ruger if you can and go shoot some rentals to decide. Man, that sounds like fun!
    Guns: Glock 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30 & 36
    Rides: 2006 GTO with my turbo system and tune (635 RWHP); 2009 H-D Street Glide with many mods

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
    I've been concealed carrying my Ruger P89 9mm for about 5 years now. While I am not unhappy with my Ruger's performance, it is ever frustrating that I have such a hard time finding accessories. Has anyone else noticed this?
    No, we carry Glocks.

Sorry, couldn't resist! Actually don't have much in the way of accessories for any carry guns.

I have been fully converted to Glocks. They can begin to have some problems...after about 10,000,000 rounds.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    +1. Rugers are great guns, but dont get much respect on trade-in. In my opinion, it makes better business sense to just keep it, and pay outright for the Glock.
    Exactly, keep the Ruger and get a G19. I know money is tight for alot of people but you amost always lose on a trade. Save for a month or two and get the Glock. In the mean time you have a solid handgun for protection.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

the SR9 has a rail under the barrel you can attach a light or laser to it, keep the p89 thats 5 years of memories your getting rid of. I regret getting rid of my Ruger Ranch Rifle Mini-14 cuz that was memories and fun times that i got rid of!

re:

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - You can buy a Crimson Trace Lasergrip for your Ruger.
    Laser Sight For Ruger LG-389 Dual Side-Activation | Crimson Trace Laser Grips

- Glocks are absolutely rock solid. You can find torture tests of every kind on Youtube. The polymer is VERY durable and people have actually run over them with cars and trucks. I don't think there's anything to worry about when it comes to their durability.

My advice would be to shoot a few different models and see how you like it compared to your Ruger.
    I bet I can find a rock BIG enough to break one. Some people get caught up in slogans. Honestly they are very good weapons but I never and no one else should think they won't break down.

Now for a reality check. Glocks are very good, light and sturdy. And if you take care of them they will take care of you. But so will a lot of other brands. Pick one that will fit your needs. Accessories and goodies can be found for most of the major brands and models that are mainstream now, Glock, XD, M&P and Sig. My 2 cents, here are some very good weapons for conceal carry at a reasonable price, mid size Glocks ( 19, 23, 32 ) - - - XDs ( XD 9 or 40 sub compacts ) - - - M&P ( compact 9 or 40 ) - - Sig 229 ( 9, 40 or 357sig ). Learn the pros and cons of your weapon, then practice, practice ... have fun.
    Springfield Armory 1911-A1 TRP SS
    Glock 17
    Glock 32 ( w/ 23 barrel )
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Glock Pistols became popular because of their lightweight polymer frame. This was also true when the US military began to transition from the tried and true but heavy M-14 to the new M-16 with a nylon stock and smaller but much lighter 5.56 ammo.
    Many soldiers thought the M-16 was cheap plastic made by the Mattel toy company. Once they got use to it and the government changed the barrel back to original design specifications, Stainless, the corrosion problems became less and it eventual evolved to become the weapon of choice for all branches of the service.

I do not know if I can honestly say the same is true of the Glock but it is somewhat reliable and lighter weight that a Ruger. Many law enforcement jurisdictions adopted the Glock, not because it was the best but because it was being sold in volume relatively cheap.

All shooters have their preferences. I won't say it was dumped on the market but there were some hefty discounts made to get law enforcement interested in the 9mm.

I Sell all Glock's and All Springfield Armory Firearms. They are priced right and I sell them 2-1 over many other top tier handguns.

Personally I prefer a Sig Sauer, H&K, CZ or Walther in the same caliber.

What you shoot well is what you should shoot and keep shooting.

I would probably keep the Ruger and save for another gun of your choice.
    Very wise words, and I agree with your preferences. Glocks are good no doubt, but I would say that they are just above average compared to higher tiered brands. I would take a Sig or HK any day over a Glock.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Glock 19...go forth and be happy.
    This. My dad did the same thing. He bought a P89 at first and ended up trading it for a G19. He was quite happy with the trade.

I haven't shot the Ruger so I can't compare, but I have a Glock 19 and love it. It's solid, always goes bang and I shoot it well. Rugers are great guns, I have an LCP.
    I would suggest you shoot a Glock before you buy it just to be sure it suits you.
    I'm considering a .45ACP next and the Glock 30SF is high on my list.

Glock

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
    I guess what I'm looking for is pro's and cons on making this switch. I see from the forms that a lot of our readers/posters own/carry Glock handguns. Just looking for a little advice, as I feel like I don't have enough information to make this decision at this point.
    Dwayne,

Putting on my flame-retardant suit now.

I am NOT an experienced shooter. I own a Ruger P95. For me, this is the safest weapon I could own.

The thread here about the ambidextrous safety had Ruger all over it.

I don't like the safety in the trigger. I have read where an officer shot himself, accidentally. This particular account does not identify a Glock. Don't most officers carry Glock? However, there are plenty of Glock references to accidental incidents to make me cautious.

Now, I know that accidents happen. LEO are supposed to be proficient with their weapons. For an OFFICER to accidentally shoot himself, or others, is not comforting to me.

I also read that Glock is frequently sued over product safety.

Now, if you are comfortable with this, don't let me dissuade you. My brother (a 1911 Colt fan) steered me away from Glock but he's not proud of my Ruger either.

There's plenty of people who handle their Glock safely, I am sure. I just won't own a Glock because of this issue.

Lloyd
    Lloyd Colston KC5FM
    Altus, OK USA http://wx5em.us
    http://kc5fm.blogspot.com

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I carry glocks 90% of the time ,I like 17 and 26,The other 10% is divided between revolvers and my 45 acp.Don't get me wrong I own several rugers
    but they are a bit behind in designing a carry pistol.I'll carry their revolvers any day.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    You can't blame a pistol for operator error !Some inexperienced shooters get
    to hung up on glocks trigger safety which works well.Most of my carry pistols
    don't have any safeties.As you become more comfortable with carrying your
    fear should subside.

I have a Ruger P95 that is a great gun. Reliable, durable, etc. It's an older one, so I don't have a rail, etc. No big deal to me as I really don't want all those goodies, but I do find it a little too big for CC. I've been shopping for a Glock 23 .40 caliber and it will likely be my next addition. I've shot my buddy's, and it's pretty sweet. Glocks are durable, reliable, simple, and relatively inexpensive. You can't go wrong with one for sure. I would suggest keeping your Ruger 9mm and adding a Glock .40 caliber for all of your accessories. Best of both worlds. Practice with the cheaper 9mm round with the Ruger and carry the better stopping power .40.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    G19 or G26... pick one and don't look back... The G26 is slightly smaller than the G19, but many people will tell you the G19 is the perfect balance between size and capacity and one of the best CC guns around...
    exactly +1

I've held the G26, and even with the finger extension mag boot the G19 feels better in hand to me. It had to do more with where the bottom rear of the grip hitting the palm versus the palm heel (since the bottom of the grip is angled up).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links