Trading my Ruger for a Glock?

This is a discussion on Trading my Ruger for a Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Dwayne I've been concealed carrying my Ruger P89 9mm for about 5 years now. While I am not unhappy with my Ruger's ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trading my Ruger for a Glock?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
    I've been concealed carrying my Ruger P89 9mm for about 5 years now. While I am not unhappy with my Ruger's performance, it is ever frustrating that I have such a hard time finding accessories. Has anyone else noticed this? I'd also like to have a tactical rail for a nice light and/or laster mount. My Ruger does not have this.

I was at a local sporting supply store this past weekend, and stopped by the gun counter to ask a few questions and look at a new shotgun for trap-shooting. While there, I was looking at a couple of Glock 9mm's. I was surprised at how light weight they are compared to my Ruger. I also noticed it was mostly plastic.

My question is, are only some of the Glock's plastic? Is the plastic a problem? Will it hold up over time if I decide to go this route?

I guess what I'm looking for is pro's and cons on making this switch. I see from the forms that a lot of our readers/posters own/carry Glock handguns. Just looking for a little advice, as I feel like I don't have enough information to make this decision at this point.

Thanks in advance,
    Dwayne
    rock solid(Glocks i mean) get either a 19/23 compact or a 26/27 sub compact its gonna be a LOT nicer to carry than that beast of a 89...we used to use P89's for the LE agency I am with...id NEVER consider actually carrying one though so a Glock will be a VAST improvement not so much for reliability(both are greatly reliable guns) but in weight and size.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Like-new Glocks are $450 everywhere, no taxes on a private sale. Try out some different models and see what you like.
    yup im selling my 2nd gen Glock 23 $375 or $500 for the entire package that includes a new 9mm conversion barrel, Warren Tactical sights, and 2 holsters.

I also recommend trying a few different ones. I remember trying my buddies Glock G27 and not liking it much. I then went to purchase a CZ PO-1 and the store didn't have any in stock. I then rented a G19, shot it, and bought it. The grip size for my hand fits better than a Sub compact glock and the 9mm recoil wasn't that bad for a somewhat lightweight gun.

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    I also recommend trying a few different ones. I remember trying my buddies Glock G27 and not liking it much. I then went to purchase a CZ PO-1 and the store didn't have any in stock. I then rented a G19, shot it, and bought it. The grip size for my hand fits better than a Sub compact glock and the 9mm recoil wasn't that bad for a somewhat lightweight gun.
    100% why not even wait a little more and see if you like the new Ruger SR9c compact 9mm that Ruger just came out with...Glock 19/23 size but looks slimmer which is better for CC.

I carry a P94 9mm. In fact I carry it quit often as a Conceal Gun. I guess its because I have carried it for so long and have the right holster/belt set-up I can carry it all day long with zero problems. I purchased a set of Crimson Grips for it and every once in a while I take them on and off. I have a set of Trijicon sights and find them a very nice edition to the gun. I have done some low light testing with them and have found they help me quit a bit. So if you are planning to keep the Ruger maybe check on fitting it with Night Sights (if you don't already have them).
    "Rhino"

Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    +1. Rugers are great guns, but dont get much respect on trade-in. In my opinion, it makes better business sense to just keep it, and pay outright for the Glock.
    ++1
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Thanks!

I appreciate all of the feedback on this post! I plan on trying a few models of Glock to be sure I find the right fit, and make sure I am comfortable with them. Checking into a local indoor shooting range that I know does rent some handguns. Check the selection there and try that. I'll also be keeping my eye on the paper to see if anyone has any that are used.

I would consider buying from a pawn shop, but worry about what I'd be getting there. I will also have to be comfortable with the fact that it's not been used in a crime or something. I'm sure I'll have no way of knowing. That's kind of scary! On second thought, maybe I'll refrain from the pawn shops.

Thanks again! Love reading the forums, and look forward to future posts! Thanks for the warm welcome!

Dwayne

Just to give you an idea. A guy today sold a P89 to another coworker for $250. I couldnt believe it I dont have a gun I would sell for that. I would have held on to heck I would have bought it to sell back to him in a few months when his latest greatest urge passes. I found out after the fact.

For the person claiming the Glocks are dangerous I am worried mine is defective. Its amazing if I dont pull the trigger it doesnt shoot. You give enough idiots a feather one will figure out how to injure themselves. You cant blame the gun,Glocks are safe.

So I made my decision

Ok, after getting some great advice here and doing a lot of research, I went out to buy my Glock 17 today. While waiting for a sales rep at Cabela's this morning, I happened onto a S&W M&P 9mm that caught my eye. When the guy came over, I asked to see the S&W and the Glock 17 and proceeded to compare the two. Funny thing was, it was the S&W I liked better. The gun fit better in my hand, and I was altogether more pleased with the grip. I also liked the model with Stainless on the top, I guess it's called "Bi-Tone".

Anyway, Making a long story short, I did sell my Ruger P89 to my little brother. He just got his CCW and wasn't sure what he wanted. He was in love with my P89...so it's not too far away if I want to shoot it. LOL

And I ended up going with the S&W over the Glock.

I get it on Monday and I can't wait!

Thanks again!

Dwayne...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post

And I ended up going with the S&W over the Glock.

I get it on Monday and I can't wait!
    Man I hate waiting on handgun purchases! Congrats on the M&P; I've shot the compact .45 and thought highly of it.

The only reason I had to wait, was I bought it across state lines. But I can get it on Monday.

Thanks!

Good choice on the M&P.

I'm a Glock man myself, but I like to checkout the other quality pistols too. I haven't acquired a M&P yet, but they have caught my eye at the GS. Good choice on the 9mm as well, it should run forever.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links