Trading my Ruger for a Glock?

This is a discussion on Trading my Ruger for a Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been concealed carrying my Ruger P89 9mm for about 5 years now. While I am not unhappy with my Ruger's performance, it is ever ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trading my Ruger for a Glock?

I've been concealed carrying my Ruger P89 9mm for about 5 years now. While I am not unhappy with my Ruger's performance, it is ever frustrating that I have such a hard time finding accessories. Has anyone else noticed this? I'd also like to have a tactical rail for a nice light and/or laster mount. My Ruger does not have this.

I was at a local sporting supply store this past weekend, and stopped by the gun counter to ask a few questions and look at a new shotgun for trap-shooting. While there, I was looking at a couple of Glock 9mm's. I was surprised at how light weight they are compared to my Ruger. I also noticed it was mostly plastic.

My question is, are only some of the Glock's plastic? Is the plastic a problem? Will it hold up over time if I decide to go this route?

I guess what I'm looking for is pro's and cons on making this switch. I see from the forms that a lot of our readers/posters own/carry Glock handguns. Just looking for a little advice, as I feel like I don't have enough information to make this decision at this point.

Thanks in advance,
    Dwayne

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
    I've been concealed carrying my Ruger P89 9mm for about 5 years now. While I am not unhappy with my Ruger's performance, it is ever frustrating that I have such a hard time finding accessories. Has anyone else noticed this? I'd also like to have a tactical rail for a nice light and/or laster mount.
    - You can buy a Crimson Trace Lasergrip for your Ruger.
    Laser Sight For Ruger LG-389 Dual Side-Activation | Crimson Trace Laser Grips

While there, I was looking at a couple of Glock 9mm's. I was surprised at how light weight they are compared to my Ruger. I also noticed it was mostly plastic.

My question is, are only some of the Glock's plastic? Is the plastic a problem? Will it hold up over time if I decide to go this route?

I guess what I'm looking for is pro's and cons on making this switch. I see from the forms that a lot of our readers/posters own/carry Glock handguns. Just looking for a little advice, as I feel like I don't have enough information to make this decision at this point.
    - Glocks are absolutely rock solid. You can find torture tests of every kind on Youtube. The polymer is VERY durable and people have actually run over them with cars and trucks. I don't think there's anything to worry about when it comes to their durability.

My advice would be to shoot a few different models and see how you like it compared to your Ruger.

Glock 19...go forth and be happy.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    G19 or G26... pick one and don't look back... The G26 is slightly smaller than the G19, but many people will tell you the G19 is the perfect balance between size and capacity and one of the best CC guns around...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

IMO, I really like the P89 pistol. Had one myself for several years. Way before carry even entered my mind. That being said, I say you should step into this decade with a Glock pistol for carry if the Glock works for you. If you are able, I'd hold onto the P89 as you won't get out of it what it's worth to you in trade. Probably better off just selling it (if you have to). Nothing wrong with going used on the Glock pistol you'd like, and if you want, you could join GSSF for $35 and save over $100 on a new one with the pistol voucher. I'm just sayin'.
    By the way.........welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    If you are able, I'd hold onto the P89 as you won't get out of it what it's worth to you in trade.
    +1. Rugers are great guns, but dont get much respect on trade-in. In my opinion, it makes better business sense to just keep it, and pay outright for the Glock.

Like-new Glocks are $450 everywhere, no taxes on a private sale. Try out some different models and see what you like.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Good advice here. Keep the Ruger and buy the Glock outright if you can. Glock is rock solid and you will have no issues with durability. I do not believe you will regret the purchase.

VIP Member
    I've been concealed carrying my Ruger P89 9mm for about 5 years now. While I am not unhappy with my Ruger's performance, it is ever frustrating that I have such a hard time finding accessories. Has anyone else noticed this? I'd also like to have a tactical rail for a nice light and/or laster mount. My Ruger does not have this.

I was at a local sporting supply store this past weekend, and stopped by the gun counter to ask a few questions and look at a new shotgun for trap-shooting. While there, I was looking at a couple of Glock 9mm's. I was surprised at how light weight they are compared to my Ruger. I also noticed it was mostly plastic.

Thanks in advance,
    Dwayne
    Glock Pistols became popular because of their lightweight polymer frame. This was also true when the US military began to transition from the tried and true but heavy M-14 to the new M-16 with a nylon stock and smaller but much lighter 5.56 ammo.
    Many soldiers thought the M-16 was cheap plastic made by the Mattel toy company. Once they got use to it and the government changed the barrel back to original design specifications, Stainless, the corrosion problems became less and it eventual evolved to become the weapon of choice for all branches of the service.

I do not know if I can honestly say the same is true of the Glock but it is somewhat reliable and lighter weight that a Ruger. Many law enforcement jurisdictions adopted the Glock, not because it was the best but because it was being sold in volume relatively cheap.

All shooters have their preferences. I won't say it was dumped on the market but there were some hefty discounts made to get law enforcement interested in the 9mm.

I Sell all Glock's and All Springfield Armory Firearms. They are priced right and I sell them 2-1 over many other top tier handguns.

Personally I prefer a Sig Sauer, H&K, CZ or Walther in the same caliber.

What you shoot well is what you should shoot and keep shooting.

I would probably keep the Ruger and save for another gun of your choice.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

definitely fire some glocks before you buy. glocks, for most are hit or miss. you either love them or hate them. i own a p85 myself and i love the heck out of it. can't stand when glock in my hand. but others will say the exact opposite.

if you really like ruger and want to stay with them, ruger does make a light weight polymer gun as well. the SR9. not quite as light as a smililar sized glock, but hardly a noticeable difference. i would check it out before you make your final decision. just something to consider.

Try the S&M M&P before you decide

If it was me I'd keep the Ruger and pick up the Glock as well.

are only some of the Glock's plastic?
    No, all of um are polymer and steel construction.

Is the plastic a problem?
    Not at all. The polymer is state of the art and as tough as steel.

Will it hold up over time if I decide to go this route
    Absolutely! I have a G23 that I've had for over ten years and thousands upon thousands of rounds through it and it's still in excellent condition. I'd trust my life to its reliability.

IMO, you can't go wrong with the Glock platform no matter what model you chose.

Good luck.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

My opinion......keep that P89 of yours AND get yourself a Glock 19!

You'll be happy!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Keep the Ruger and buy the Glock outright. never sell a gun if you don't have to. You always end up regretting it.

The only problems I'm ever heard of with the Glock "plastic" frame (or any other make, for that matter) is when the dog chews it up (and it keeps on shooting) or when it's left in the glove box forever and the sun and heat eventually deteriorate it, as all polymers will. Otehr than that, they're pretty much bullet proof.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Have you been in a CAVE since 1990?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links