I'm so confused. - Page 2

I'm so confused.

This is a discussion on I'm so confused. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Sig P238 is actually fun to shoot.... nice single action (short) trigger. I carry mine hammer up and safety on. Carry in my pocket....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Sig P238 is actually fun to shoot.... nice single action (short) trigger. I carry mine hammer up and safety on. Carry in my pocket.

Fernset
    Take a look at the Taurus TCP, its the same dimensions and weight as the Kel-Tec P3AT and has a much better trigger and grip. The trigger is stamped, smooth, rounded, larger and doesn't rub a blister like the Kel-Tec. The trigger pull is predictable and breaks the same every round. Sights are fixed and snag free like all the mouse guns and with the long trigger pull has a tendency to shoot low left until you get used to the long trigger pull.

The TCP will be my new pocket pistol and the P3AT will be sold. TCP MSRP is $338 and includes life time warranty. Most INTERNET dealers have them for around $250. I almost forgot, they are made in the USA.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    It is, what it is. Sounds like your expectations were off the mark for "what it is". It's also a matter of aligning expectations with the real practical use we intend the gun to be used for.

At less than 7 yards, for point and shoot, it's a barely adequate gun but then again, anything you put into your pocket is going to be roughtly in that same category.

If you want true pocket carry then you are talking light weight and two finger grip for most folks and that means "challenging to shoot and shoot well"!

Now if you look at the other options:

Sig 380, well it's heavier which makes it feel better to shoot and it's single action only so the trigger is better but I personally don't want a manual thumb safety on a pocket gun for SD. First I don't like the idea of it coming off and all that's between me and an ND is a single action trigger in a good holster (if you're smart).

The new Kahr offering is expensive (quality is...) but it has a WONDERFUL DAO trigger that gives you a good combination of safety but a good trigger to. It also has excellent sights (the Sig does too!) and I like how it locks back after you fire the last round. I personally think that's a BIG deal because that's how all of my "big" pistols" work. Can't tell you how many times I've lost round count when firing my P3AT or my LCP and pulled down on an empty chamber becasue I'd already emptied the mag. Probably not a big deal in a real SD scenario because it'll likely be over before that mag is empty anyway, but still...

So think about what you're really getting the gun for and align the purpose with what it is and your expecations are likely to be met.

If you don't have to absolutely have a pocket gun, consider going to IWB or OWB carry and getting a larger gun that has the features you're looking for.

Problem is, I (for one) do have a need for a true pocket gun from time to time and there just aren't a lot of choices.

God Bless
    Gideon

I like my LCP just fine. Long DA trigger but smooth and easy enough to hit what you want within 10 yards. Shooting as fast as I can pull the trigger I can keep all 6 shots in the head zone , actually roughly 3-4 inch group.

If the KT is anything like it you should be able to also. I have the PF-9 also and find it a long pull but can hit what I aim at pretty good with it to.

Course this is JMO and your mileage may vary.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    lets be realistic...i'm sure there are a few people who are very profficient with the p3at and lcp...but it is a very small, short barreled, tight sight radius with almost non-existant sights handgun...i believe expecting great accuracy at 12-15 yards is a little optimistic at best....this isnt a range gun by any means and to expect it to be a comfortable shooter with great accuracy is just a bit far reaching....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Unhappy Amen to that.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    lets be realistic...i'm sure there are a few people who are very profficient with the p3at and lcp...but it is a very small, short barreled, tight sight radius with almost non-existant sights handgun...i believe expecting great accuracy at 12-15 yards is a little optimistic at best....this isnt a range gun by any means and to expect it to be a comfortable shooter with great accuracy is just a bit far reaching....
    Ditto.
    Next someone will comment that they can't shoot the eyes out of a BG at 100 yds with their P3AT or LCP or whatever. It's meant for up close & personal. If you want long-range accuracy, get a gun designed for that. A pocket gun is what it it. Put it in your pocket and take it out when you need to. Get a nice, heavy, long-barrel range gun for extended and accurate target shooting.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

A while back I hit a galvanized trash can at 165 yards 4 times out of 6 with my P3AT ... after walking the bullets onto it with the first 6-shot magazine. I braced the pistol on the power line guy wire. So they can be pressed into service at distance. I still think the trigger pull is wretched. Due to the combination of a long, stiff trigger with a very light weight handgun the P3AT will never be truly easy to shoot with pin-point accuracy.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I've been working since my OP so I haven't been able to comment. I trully do want a pocket gun but I'm gonna have to pracice more before I decide.

If I were to decide not to get a pocket gun the I would deffinitely more to IWB carry and would be between a PF9 or a Khar PM9 (I know its twice the price). I would still like to stick to the very light small guns either way.

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    Thanks everyone for your comments, I've been working since my OP so I haven't been able to comment. I trully do want a pocket gun but I'm gonna have to pracice more before I decide.

If I were to decide not to get a pocket gun the I would deffinitely more to IWB carry and would be between a PF9 or a Khar PM9 (I know its twice the price). I would still like to stick to the very light small guns either way.
    Just look at the Glock-26...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links