H&K USP Compact

H&K USP Compact

This is a discussion on H&K USP Compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be 21 in a couple of weeks and I am considering a H&K USP Compact either 9mm or 45, just wanted to get ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: H&K USP Compact

H&K USP Compact

I will be 21 in a couple of weeks and I am considering a H&K USP Compact either 9mm or 45, just wanted to get some input on this gun and about which is better 9mm or 45.
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

Bought a USP Compact45 when they first came out. I like the 45 but it is lower capacity on round count than the 9...

Shot it quite a bit for tactical shoots, carried it some, 100% reliable, HK makes nice gun.

Decided to move on last year and sold it to a friend. Then bought an XD45 for the 13+1 round count

ooOOoo.... touchy subject!

9mm vs .45 OUCH!

As far as the gun itself, very good. I have a USP tatical and love it. I dont carry it, but I love the gun. Never fired the compact version, but I am sure its good.

My vote is the .45. Less rounds than the 9mm, but more knock down. Its what you prefer and feel comfortable with shooting.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Only you can decide which caliber. Not to complicate things, but the USPc also comes in .40. One consideration, if you are young, may be the price of ammo and 9mm is cheaper to shoot. Whichever you select, both come in stainless, which makes it not only a great gun, but a beautiful one also. I'd go stainless.

At least in my area of the country 9mm is not cheaper or not much cheaper than .40. Maybe $1 or $2 per box. And, I have never seen 9mm or .45 in my Walmart but they often have .40
    Last edited by davidw; January 10th, 2010 at 10:05 AM.

I have HK USPc .40 and it's great! I haven't had a lick of trouble. I carry it in the winter and a LCP 380 in the summer. The USPc makes me feel safer though. Get it in .40. Comes with 10+1. And I think there are 12+1 magazines out there too. Much more then the .45's 7+1 or 8+1.
    Check out site: HKPRO There is alot of good guys on that site that can answer any questions you have and they have a "for sale" section.
    Draw once, Fire twice!

oops, forgot to answer your original question. Before buying my M&P 40C I did check into the H&K. Great gun, shot well with it and liked it a lot. The reason I went with M&P was I felt I was getting the same quality at a much better price.

After all my research on caliber that I would want to carry between 9mm, .40 & .45 I went with .40. I still think .40 is the way to go, at least for me. If I had to choose between 9mm & .45 I would go with the 9mm for more capacity.

You may want to also look at the P2000. It's an updated version of the USP, with interchangeable backstraps. I've never held a USP, but have a P2000 in 9mm and love it.

If you are going to the expense of a New HK get the updated models, the USP is nice but they have "old" UTL accessory rails where youhave to "rock on" the light. Look at the HK P30. Excellent weapon in 9mm. 9mm is cheaper to shoot, easier to find, and has more capacity. Plus with today's modern defensive ammo will do everything you need it to do.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Another .40 vote

Like several posters above, I went with the .40 caliber USP compact. It gives you 12+1 rounds, the practice ammo is readily available and not much more than 9mm, and I believe its stopping power is equivalent to .45 in the best loadings. Althought the USP 40c is fairly lightweight, the recoil is pretty mild and the gun conceals easily. It is also a good looking gun, and very reliable in my experience.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I have had a USP .45c for years. 100% reliable, very accurate and easy to service. Try it you WILL like it. But the .40c may be a better overall choice for your first carry gun...best of both worlds.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

I have both the USPf .45 and P2000sk .40. I would suggest for you to look at either the P2000 or P30 in .40 caliber. The .40 largely splits the difference between the 9mm and .45 in stopping power, cost and capacity. The P2000 and P30 also are more recent designs than the USP, though all have been extremely reliable. Industry-standard rails for the later models too. Check out the various trigger options too. Some are more suited to match, others (like light LEM) are better for carry.

well i have been looking at 9mm not only cause its cheaper but because my wife is little and if she ever needed to use it then she could use it without hurting herself from the recoil of the .45
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

I would suggest a 40 cal also, because you get the best of both worlds. You get the capacity of the 9mm, and nearly the power of the .45. I have a uspc .40 and it is the most reliable gun I own I have shot around 2000 rounds and not one problem.
    When SHTF I don't call 911, I call 1911
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    Kimber ultra carry II stainless steel
    HK uspc

Excellent choice, and I say that as primarily a Glock and Sig shooter. HK is top quality and you are making a wise choice to go ahead and get something that will serve you well. The compact model is a great size, comfortable, reliable, durable (like all the USP series). If you're looking to conceal it though, be aware that it isn't light. As to your caliber choice, that's personal preference. Just use good bullets (the actual projectile) and practice. Be safe!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links