Taurus 709 / Keltec PF9 size question?

This is a discussion on Taurus 709 / Keltec PF9 size question? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anybody have both of these guns that could take a picture showing a size comparison. I am looking to add a slim 9 soon, ...

Thread: Taurus 709 / Keltec PF9 size question?

Taurus 709 / Keltec PF9 size question?

Does anybody have both of these guns that could take a picture showing a size comparison. I am looking to add a slim 9 soon, and was curious how similar these two were. Thanks.
    With guns, we are 'citizens'.
    Without them, we are 'subjects'.

2. Remove Ads

Maybe this will help? I think one link shows the PF-9 and the other has the Taurus 709

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

http://www.mouseguns.com/CompactCompare.pdf
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

Gunblast did a review of the 709 and included pics of both together:

Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm Semi-Auto Pistol

Having owned and shot both, the size difference is negligible. The PF9 was a couple of ounces of lighter, but I'd give my nod by a narrow margin to the Taurus simple because I shot it better.

I've had my PT709 for several months and have put 500 flawless rounds through it. Nice fit and finish, easy to pocket or IWB carry, and I LOVE the trigger compared to DAO triggers. Easy to keep on target and extremely accurate. I have a pic posted in a recent thread "my comfortable snubnose" in which I have a picture of the 709 beside a S&W 38 snub.

The 709 is a SA striker fired semi with a second strike capability. For this reason, I like the thumb safety. Basically, carrying one in the chamber with the safety is a "cocked and locked" mode. Easy takedown.

The advice my gunshop gave me upon my purchase (in which he has sold hundreds of Slims with no one having issues) was:

1) Disassemble and clean right out of box. Remove the factory white grease and lube with light oil or lithium grease.
    2) Shoot about 200 rounds of FMJ through it first.
    3) After the first 200 rounds, try various brands and types of ammo to see if that particular weapon is finiky (mine fires, feeds, and ejects everything...I've tried over a dozen brands and types)
    4) Take down and clean thoroughly about every 200 rounds.

Mine has functioned exceptionally well.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    I would wait a while if you're considering the Taurus... Being a new model, there have been several reports of problems that appear to be mag related and extractor related...

I've always been leery of buying new models the first year they're released, but that's me...YMMV
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    The advice my gunshop gave me upon my purchase (in which he has sold hundreds of Slims with no one having issues) was:

1) Disassemble and clean right out of box. Remove the factory white grease and lube with light oil or lithium grease.
    2) Shoot about 200 rounds of FMJ through it first.
    3) After the first 200 rounds, try various brands and types of ammo to see if that particular weapon is finiky (mine fires, feeds, and ejects everything...I've tried over a dozen brands and types)
    4) Take down and clean thoroughly about every 200 rounds.
    I agree 100% with the cleaning comments. I have over a thousand rounds of more than a dozen types of FMJ and JHP (including WWB) through my 709 with no significant issues. But the gun was full of the Taurus white grease when I got it. A thorough cleaning was absolutely necessary out of the box. The fire mechanism seems to collect a lot of crud, and needs to be cleaned well regularly.

The manual safety and second strike capability sold me on the 709. It is my daily carry, and I'm completely satisfied with it's reliability. I looked heavily at the PF-9, and actually had one on order until I handled the 709. I don't think the size & weight difference is significant enough to use that as a selection criteria.
    Slow scopes, fast cars.
    'Chance favors the prepared mind' - Louis Pasteur

These small 9mm are designed for convenient concealed carry not as range guns to shoot 500 to 1000 rounds through at a time. The tolerances and margins for error to achieve such a compact design for deep CC necessitate more attention to cleaning. Just like cars...old VWs weren't built for speed, but for economy and required more maintenance than large V8s...and NASCAR race cars are built for speed, not endurance. After a 500 mile race, that engine is done. The average dragster probably gets less than 100 miles out of an engine. Guns and cars are my hobbies...lots of similarities.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I have the PF9. It's does it's job very well. It fits fully down in Chino back pocket in a pocket holster. I'm just now getting to the 500 rd mark. It has been touchy about ammo. WWB causes stove pipes, some reloads I have causes 3 pt binds. Real consistent. But, I've put 53 rounds of Hydra-shoks through it with no problems and that's what I carry. As far as shooting it goes, it's pretty accurate, but kind of punishing if you shoot 100, 150 rds at a time.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

Oh, meant to also say one thing I like about the PF9 is the lack of an external safety. That's one less thing to worry about in an SD situation.

Yeah, I know, training takes care of that, but it's something I don't want to have to worry about.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

I did have both the PF9 and the PT 709. While I cant give the dimensions I liked the PF9 much better. I dont want to upset any Taurus owners as this is only my opinion based on personal experience. My Taurus was a disaster and had to be sent back to Taurus multiple times for repair, the PF9 was flawless. Taurus customer service was one of the worst I have ever dealt with while Kel tec was excellent. Taurus lifetime warrenty isnt worth the paper its written on because of the aggrevation the put you through. Go with the PF9, the Taurus may look like a better gun but its not, they have a long way to go before they make a quality automatic.

I have seen that the taurus pt709 has made it in alot of posts in the last few days. Why? I think its because people are starting to see what i have seen for years.. They are good guns..
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

I'm really thinking of picking one up. I have been so impressed with my TCP, I'm looking hard at a 709. Theres a gun show this weekend, so we'll see what happens.

Links