Help me complete my handgun spreadsheet

This is a discussion on Help me complete my handgun spreadsheet within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I posted before, I'm in the market for a HD/CCW/Range handgun for my wife and I. I compiled this list based on recommendations and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me complete my handgun spreadsheet

Arrow Help me complete my handgun spreadsheet

As I posted before, I'm in the market for a HD/CCW/Range handgun for my wife and I. I compiled this list based on recommendations and my own personal preference. I have decided on going with the 9mm for ease of use for my wife and ammo availability.

All the info in my spreadsheet was taken straight off the manufacture's websites, except for the pricing info. Some of the info I was unable to find, and that is the cells with the red text. If you experts wouldn't mind looking over it to help me fill in some blanks and make sure the info is accurate, I'd really appreciate it.

2. Remove Ads

XD, XDm, and M&P and C are all DAO. Springfield Armory should have specs on XDm. The 228 actually had a recent run of new made and sent here, even some with accessory rails, so that would still be an option for you. The HK p30 has been very highly rated by every single person i have read reviewing it or using it. I don't know how youfeel about Glock, but I would not overlook the G19. It is an awesome comapct 9mm. I also have a p228, It is an awesome handgun, and IMHO, a little bette than the p229, that was designed for the .40 and .357.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Another comment? M&P9C has 3 different grip sizes for a better fit.
    Yeah ... where is the G19?

usp IMHO
    When SHTF I don't call 911, I call 1911
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    Kimber ultra carry II stainless steel
    HK uspc

+1 on the USP DA/SA but I would look very closely at the compact model if you plan to Carry it much as the standard gun is big. I would also go .40/.45 there just isn't that much recoil difference between a hot 9 and the .40. With a handgun IMHO there is no substitute for the largest hole in the target you can make.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    CZ is a good pistol
    as others said, the G19
    Sig P250
    Kahr p9, cw9, etc
    Beretta PX4 storm
    maybe if the single action trigger is important...a 1911 in 9mm like the emp from Springfield, or the Kimber aegis.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

By the time you get the spread sheet done you could have bought the gun of your choice and been at the range shooting.

All your choices look like good ones to me.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    Looks like you have this system down to a science. If your wife is new to hand guns, I would look for a used revolver; something like a Model-10 4” and soft loads to get her trained well. It would also make for a good bedside piece.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Buy the Sig 228 and you'll be one happy camper. Mines 9 years old, been shot a billion times and NEVER has not gone BOOM when I pulled the trigger. I don't think you can make them break! I once shot 3K rounds of WWB 9mm without cleaning it and it was asking for more. Used it for IPSC for 2 years prior to it's retirement to being my wifes CCW. It's a great all around semi that's Ford tough!

JMHR
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You're spending way too much time analyzing this and not enough time shopping.
    Put down the computer and back away. Go directly to your local gun store. try one (several) at a range. Pick the one you feel is best and buy it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

With the SIGs you may want to consider the DAK trigger option.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Put down the computer and back away. Go directly to your local gun store. try one (several) at a range. Pick the one you feel is best and buy it.
    I agree.

Saber gave some good advice here, but it's not in 9mm:

Looks like you have this system down to a science. If your wife is new to hand guns, I would look for a used revolver; something like a Model-10 4” and soft loads to get her trained well. It would also make for a good bedside piece.
    Regards,
    After that you can start looking for your "bottomfeeder". You can spend way to much time over-analyzing things if you're not careful. My suggestion is to let her pick the gun and have you adapt to it, as you seem to be the one most interested in this.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Good Advice from OldVet... Here is a link... the first one is important to think about. Also try
    http://www.smithwesson.com/wcsstore/...P_SPECS_AD.pdf

YouTube - Baby Glock vs. M&P 9c

good luck! Let us know what you get...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Tango, I do the same thing man, I think you are doing a good thing by trying to gather as much info as possible. Us analytics need to stick together!! My only comment would be that CCW and HD to me are two totally separate roles and in my opinion probably deserve separate weapons if you can swing it. In the Home D, I look for a large caliber, 45, large capacity, maybe a rail for light/laser, etc. Whereas CCW, I look for comfort, slim, trim, light and something I WILL carry all the time, not something I think will carry - big difference.

The only models that I feel cover both roles are your glock/XD sub-compact models. The reason is they offer not only offer decent capacity, 10+ but they also offer a frame that can be CCW regularly with the right belt and holster. They are not the ideal CCW choice for either role, but hey offer a balance that not many options can.

Thanks for the responses!

If there were gun stores open at 2am when I made this spreadsheet, then maybe I could have been there instead, but there aren't. Buying a gun isn't like buying a t-shirt, you can't just go off looks and feel. I like to see all my options and compare them to each other. If some of you feel like I'm wasting my time, then so be it, but I do this for any major purchase.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links