709 Range report

709 Range report

This is a discussion on 709 Range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up a 709 and finally got to take it to the range today. I put 250 rounds through it and had a ...

Thread: 709 Range report

709 Range report

I just picked up a 709 and finally got to take it to the range today.

I put 250 rounds through it and had a couple failures to extract the spent casing. The strange part was that I'd expect this to occur very early. It got worse after the 150 round count.

I also had the slide lock back with one round left in the mag about half a dozen times. Everytime it happened it would be with one left in the mag. Not sure why this was happening.

It didn't seem to accurate. It shoots low and to the left. I forgot to take the key to adjust the sight with me. So I'll see if I can get this straighted out later.

So I left the range with a "ehh' feeling. Not excited but not too dissapointed.

I think I'm going to send it back to Taurus for repair. I have a Taurus model 85 that broke on me so I might as well send both back at the same time.

I figured I'd post in case anyone else is interested in one.

Friends don't let friends buy a Taurus.

Guess I haven't been too good of a friend to you lately. In my defense, you bought both those when I wasn't around...

Did you try different types of ammo -- could be as simple as that.

(Get a J-frame and be done with it )

- What types and brands of ammo were you using? Winchester White Box seems to be problematic with these guns. The slide locking back with one round left is a magazine issue. Take the mag apart, clean and lube follower and smooth out any plastic edges which may be catching before the last round is pushed all the way up. The mag may also be bent causing the follower to stop before the last round is pushed up.
    - Did you clean the factory grease out prior to shooting?
    The manual recommends cleaning after every 200 rounds too (why it got worse after 150) and build-up in the magazine can cause the follower to not go all the way up.
    - Some of the issues may have been due to limp wristing. These guns are very sensitive to it. I shoot my 709 dead on. My shooting buddy consistently shoots it low and left. When sighting it in on sand bags, the low and left was him, not the sights. He was anticipating recoil and limp wristing because the grip was too short for him (no mag boot extensions available). Two-handed I curl the pinky underneath the grip and cup it with the palm heel of my support hand with the weak hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard with weak thumb pad on the top of the strong thumb nail. For some strange reason, I am more accurate with this gun one-handed.

I wish they had shaped the front of the trigger guard like the PT111. You can still use the front of the trigger guard against the frame to grip, but they could have shaped it better for that purpose. Some of my obervations after several months.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    First, welcome to the forum...
    Too bad about the issues with the 709, but it sounds like a mag issue and an extractor issue... There have been other reports about the extractor, it may simply need tuning or replacing. From the reports, I'm wondering if they got a batch of out of spec extractors...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

It is very discouraging to buy something and it not perform like you expected. The early manufactured ones did seem to have a bad run of extractors.

Thanks for all the good advice guys.

I was shooting Winchester White box. Good guess. I didn't have any other ammo with me, but I'll give that a whirl.

I know my hands were starting to give out on me at the end, but I was still holding it pretty tight. After shooting the 250 rounds, I shot my Kel-tec 380 and I was deadnuts. So I'm pretty sure it wasn't my grip.

The one thing I don't like about the gun (like bugdude said) was the trigger guard. I'm used to putting the index finger of my other hand on the trigger guard. It took some getting used to.

I did clean the gun once I bought it, but I didn't clean the mags. That makes sense why it was just one magazine that was doing it.

yeah, it does suck when a new gun doesn't work like it should but I still have my kel-tec (which treats me well), while I get this 709 straightened out.

I used federal FMJ for my first 200 round break-in. I've even fired Winchester White Box after that with no problem, but it consistently seems to present problems for these guns.

I think these are great little guns for their intended purpose. I hope you get it worked out and build confidence in it. I've loved mine and it fit my needs perfectly.

Out of all my Taurus guns I have NEVER had one problem. Not one jam, miss fire or anything. Did you clean ALL the factory junk (lube) and lube it well before shooting? Make sure to also take apart and lube the clip. I only use good ammo and will not use Blazer or low end stuff like that.. Lots of people seem to not like Taurus but I have had almost every gun out there and always gone back to Taurus.
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theman9mm View Post
    Out of all my Taurus guns I have NEVER had one problem. Not one jam, miss fire or anything. Did you clean ALL the factory junk (lube) and lube it well before shooting? Make sure to also take apart and lube the clip. I only use good ammo and will not use Blazer or low end stuff like that.. Lots of people seem to not like Taurus but I have had almost every gun out there and always gone back to Taurus.
    Ive also had not problems with any of my Tauruses...im hoping if I get a 709 OR a PT 140/145 I dont have any with those either..im leaning to the PT140 cause I have so much .40 ammo on hand. but then again I have a lot of 9mm also.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Love my 709 and with NO problems. And I've run the Winchester white box through it on a number of trips.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Theman9mm View Post
    I took the gun apart and cleaned it prior to going to the range. The only thing I didn't do was clean the mags. I checked them prior to going and the appeared to be clean.

Oh, well. I'll send it back to see if I can get the extractor fixed and I'll mention the mag. Hopefully they'll take care of it as well as Kel-tec did with my PF-3-AT. Now they have some serious customer service!

Quote Originally Posted by Toyota Mike View Post
    I took the gun apart and cleaned it prior to going to the range. The only thing I didn't do was clean the mags. I checked them prior to going and the appeared to be clean.

Oh, well. I'll send it back to see if I can get the extractor fixed and I'll mention the mag. Hopefully they'll take care of it as well as Kel-tec did with my PF-3-AT. Now they have some serious customer service!
    I'd clean and lube the gun and mag then try Federal FMJ before sending it back to Taurus. WWB ammo seems to present extracting issues, so it may not be the extractor.

I feel for you. See my post here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad-advice.html I have about 1500 round through t and it gets worse.

Sponsored Links