Ruger LCP Range Report

Ruger LCP Range Report

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, finally got to take my new Ruger LCP to the range today. This is our second one - my wife has had one since ...

Thread: Ruger LCP Range Report

Thumbs up Ruger LCP Range Report

Well, finally got to take my new Ruger LCP to the range today. This is our second one - my wife has had one since shortly after they came out.

All I can say is that I continue to be amazed at this little pistol! Not one hiccup or malfunction of any type, despite shooting several domestic and foreign brands of .380 ammo. I shot mostly FMJ, and some Hornady Critical Defense.

Accuracy was phenomenal - every magazine ended up in a group about 1 1/2 - 2" wide at 7 yards. All my targets ended up with a ragged hole in the center. Rapid fire with the pinky extension was slightly more accurate than slow fire, or firing without the pinky extension.

I do not consider myself a great shot, but this pistol is more accurate than it has a right to be. Several other shooters on the line came over to ask what I was shooting! They were dumbfounded when I showed them the little LCP!

Kudos also go to Crimson Trace and their excellent Laserguard laser. For this type of pistol, a laser should be considered mandatory IMHO. Several shooters on the line took note of the laser as well - I think CT may make a few more sales today!

The only complaint I have with the LCP is that the slide does not lock open when the mag is empty. During a fight, you will not be counting rounds. A tactical reload is mandatory with this pistol, if the situation allows it, to ensure you don't run dry.

I will also paint the front sight with red nail polish - should be an interesting trip to the cosmetics counter!

For the money (I paid $289 for the pistol locally, and $159 for the laser from Shooters Resource), you can't go wrong.

BIG thumbs up!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I was real happy with mine when I took it to the range. No lack of confidence in that little popgun.

VIP Member
    Great news... Glad to hear it's working 100%... I've always had better luck with florescent model paint on the front sight... Yellow works best for me...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    The LCP is a nice little pistol. Mine has been absolutly flawless. (re-worked 370- series.)
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Great news... Glad to hear it's working 100%... I've always had better luck with florescent model paint on the front sight... Yellow works best for me...
    Great idea! Yellow model paint should work better than red in dim light as well as bright. Less embarrassing to buy, too!
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by CraigStill View Post
    The LCP is a nice little pistol. Mine has been absolutly flawless. (re-worked 370- series.)

ya when that came out I looked real fast at mine it was 371.......
    OD 19.........G26 and a few more .
    Gun Controll Means Using Both Hands..

Too much time at the cometics counter ...

[QUOTE=10thmtn;1446358]Well, finally got to take my new Ruger LCP to the range today.

I will also paint the front sight with red nail polish - should be an interesting trip to the cosmetics counter!

First it was the hairspray reference re WASP v. Pepper Spray, and now is NAIL POLISH. What's next ? NAIR, lip gloss and Calif Prop. 8 ?? lol

Jes kiddin' my firend and fellow Army Vet -- your postings are always insightful, and often give me a well-needed laugh.

JR
    2nd Amendment Democrat
    Vietnam Army Vet
    Dist. Life Member - NRA

Love my little pocket blaster too. Several hundred rounds through mine so far and nothing but a sore hand when I was done. Extremely deadly within 7 to 10'.

Thanks for the range report.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'm with you on painting the sights. I hate white dots, which disappear on almost every background. Orange is my preference. That was one of two changes I make on my Glocks: sight color and extended slide release.

I'm thinking .380 in my future, after my .40, 9mm, .357 Sig, and so on.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

[QUOTE=jrdoranz;1447349]
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Well, finally got to take my new Ruger LCP to the range today.

First it was the hairspray reference re WASP v. Pepper Spray, and now is NAIL POLISH. What's next ? NAIR, lip gloss and Calif Prop. 8 ?? lol

Jes kiddin' my firend and fellow Army Vet -- your postings are always insightful, and often give me a well-needed laugh.

JR
    2nd Amendment Democrat
    Vietnam Army Vet
    Dist. Life Member - NRA
    I guess I shouldn't mention that I've been known to borrow my wife's lip gloss during the winter when I run out of plain ol' chap stick! Hey - it works, comes in yummy flavors, and makes my lips nice and shiny - just like my bald head!

Seriously though - nail polish enamel is tough. I've used it before to paint gun sights, and it stands up well to gun cleaners and solvents.
    CT Lasers

I want one but I am worried about the price and availability of 380 ammo.

Ammo is getting more available locally, and online. Stuff is getting imported from overseas (Italy, Hungary, etc).

Problem is the price! 2-3 X the cost of 9mm range ammo!
    CT Lasers

I love my little LCP also. I have the laser with mine, and it is very accurate. The only thing is that it is a little rough for me to just shoot at the range all day. I much prefer my M&P to shoot for extended amounts of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertson07 View Post
    I love my little LCP also. I have the laser with mine, and it is very accurate. The only thing is that it is a little rough for me to just shoot at the range all day. I much prefer my M&P to shoot for extended amounts of time.
    It's definitely not a "day at the range gun". When I first got mine I put a couple of hundred rounds through it to make sure it was going to be reliable. Since then I take it out every so often to make sure I'm proficient with it. If I want to be comfortable I break out the Browning Hi-Power...I could shoot that one all day. It's like riding in a Caddy.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.

TMI!

[QUOTE=10thmtn;1447636]
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdoranz View Post

I guess I shouldn't mention that I've been known to borrow my wife's lip gloss during the winter when I run out of plain ol' chap stick! Hey - it works, comes in yummy flavors, and makes my lips nice and shiny - just like my bald head!

I'll be by to collect your man-card this afternoon!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sponsored Links