Glock 26/30 vs. Sig P239's

This is a discussion on Glock 26/30 vs. Sig P239's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm getting right down to the nitty gritty here after two years of research and am looking for your opinion. I have been carrying the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 26/30 vs. Sig P239's

Glock 26/30 vs. Sig P239's

I'm getting right down to the nitty gritty here after two years of research and am looking for your opinion.

I have been carrying the Sig P239 and the Glock 26 and 30(45 ACP). I am having trouble deciding between the two.

On the one hand the Sig has a first pull at almost ten pounds followed by subsequent pulls at 3.5-4 pounds. It has double strike capability. It is dead accurate and fits my hand like a glove. It conceals fairly well.

Almost all can be said of the Glocks as well excepting that your trigger pull is going to be the same with each pull (I like the idea of a heavy first pull for safety) - it hasn't got that double strike capability so one has to do a slap rack and shoot drill to get going again - it conceals fairly well and fits my hand well.

So here's my question...

Given the choice between a Glock 9mm Model 26 and a Sig 9mm which would you choose and how would you carry it?

Comments would be greatly appreciated.

I have decided against carrying 1911's or larger other pistols like the Walther P99, etc. I want relatively light and small with ten round reloads which both the Glocks and the Sigs will give me.

2. Remove Ads

I like the Glock 30 myself. I carry one every day. It's light on my hip, I forget I'm wearing it. I also like the fact that I can (and do) use the G21 13 round mags for reloads. As far as 2nd strike I used to be worried about that. However, as I've been training and learning over the years I've found that to be a moot point. You should go into your immediate action drills after a fail to fire anyway. The time spent on doing a second strike you'd already be halfway through your immediate action drill.
    As far as the heavier trigger pull being a safety well it can be and it can't be. I prefer lighter triggers since I'm more accurate with them and I'm not fighting the pistol. As long as you remember that there is no race to reholster you won't have any problems. You can take your time and use your support hand to sweep the area if you feel you need to. As we were taught at work, be reluctant to reholster.
    On a different note I like how cheap mags and parts are for the Glock. If anything goes wrong on it I can take it apart and fix it myself and not have to send it any where.

The Glock 26 is my EDC. I have a few reasons why I prefer it to all else.

1. I like the trigger being the same on every shot.
    2. It is extremely concealable.
    3. Always fires.
    4. Accurate
    6. Parts and accessories are easy to get and affordable.
    7. I can use larger capacity mags in my baby Glock.
    8. Not finicky about ammo selection.

My usual carry method is in a Ka-Bar TDI fanny pack. This works out great on my motorcycle. I also regularly use an MTAC IWB holster, a SmartCarry, and a pocket holster.
    Question Everything!

no question for me. glock. never had any problems with it. have seen some sigs give problems on the range during "q" days.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Depends...

Quote Originally Posted by torontogunguy View Post
    Given the choice between a Glock 9mm Model 26 and a Sig 9mm which would you choose and how would you carry it?
    I own the Sig P239 in 9mm and a Glock 19 in 9mm. I am familiar with the Glock 26.

My choice between the two alternatives you mention would depend on how important concealment was in the situation. The G26 is about 8 ounces lighter weight and 0.9 inches shorter in height than the Sig, and is much easier to conceal. It is not as comfortable to hold and shoot as the Sig, however, due to this small size. So I would rather shoot the Sig and rather conceal the Glock. So if I owned both, I would probably use the G26 when my clothing and the situation put a premium on concealment. I'd use the Sig when this was not as critical. As for type of holster, I'd use an OWB pancake with the Sig, and an IWB appendix carry for the G26 (Comp-Tac 2 O'clock kydex).

The Sig is by far the better looking of the two guns, as well. Here is my P239:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    The Glock 26 is my EDC. I have a few reasons why I prefer it to all else.

1. I like the trigger being the same on every shot.
    2. It is extremely concealable.
    3. Always fires.
    4. Accurate
    6. Parts and accessories are easy to get and affordable.
    7. I can use larger capacity mags in my baby Glock.
    8. Not finicky about ammo selection.
    I'll echo what this gentleman said, and just bold the items that IMO make it the perfect CC pistol.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i dont place too much faith in second strike capabilities...i own one gun with it and have only had it fire a dud round once out of many duds with different ammo on supsequent strikes...in every instance i examined the duds and found good primer strikes...i would rather clear a round and continue than try pulling the trigger again and fail....

i say carry what youre comfortable with...youve done the research...i dont think we can make that decision for you...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'd say the Glock. Smaller, lighter, and from what I've read on reviews, etc. more reliable. You can also use the larger magazines for HD, standard mag when concealing. The mechanical differences, trigger safety versus ext. safety, etc. are easily overcome with the expected practice.

If a fail to fire is your concern, make sure you buy top-quality name brand ammo for carry. On the range, it doesn't matter what you use.

Two years is a looong time to research a choice of guns. Get out there and try both!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Nothing beats a Sig!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

The 26........
    OD 19.........G26 and a few more .
    Gun Controll Means Using Both Hands..

Thanks for the comments! Keep 'em coming. This is a tough decision. I really do love my Glock 26 and Glock 30 and they both have extended barrels on them so I can bring them back with me to Kanada (barrel must be 105mm or the gun is evil. Go figure.) So they have ported barrels and the G26 shoots like a dream... like a marshmallow really.

I must agree that the G26 is very small and light - and on the reload the mags in the belt pouches can be ANYTHING that fits. Think someone makes a 33 round mag for the thing... but if you ain't finished in 30 rounds you have much more serious troubles than ammo supply. I also like that the Glocks are ultra reliable and sufficiently accurate for CQB. And that there are so few moving parts. The NY1 trigger eliminates my trigger pull concerns as does the use of a good quality holster with some means of retention, even if it is only that the holster is 'tight' and covers the trigger guard completely.

On the other hand, those Sig P239's are a beauty to behold; ultra reliable, ultra accurate, multi strike capable, ten round on the reload magazines (max legal in some states and in Kanada) and some say they carry 'tighter' than the Glocks (I can't say yet although I now have four holsters for the P239 including a CTAC and some other quality holsters). Frankly, I think if carrying IWB or OWB there is going to be no noticeable difference... when it comes to POCKET CARRY I have to defer to either my G26 with a NY1 trigger and pocket holster OR my HK P7M8 with a pocket holster - which has to be the safest deep concealment carry pistol in the world being a squeeze cocker. Issue is that it is heavy.

So it IS a tough choice for me. I feel I am coming around full circle again and taking a closer look at the Glocks again.

The fact that it is going to be a ROYAL PITA to get myself a Sig in .40 or .357 with a KANADA legal barrel comes into play as well. I have to replace the standard barrel with one that is 105mm long; import the gun and register it. So, really, if I want things to be easy I am stuck with the Sig P239 with the threaded barrel (in 9 mm only) to stay legal if I bring the gun across the border with me.

Last thought for the moment is that I use Glocks for competition in IPSC as well because they are so "easy" - that being the case, one might want to carry a gun with the same controls excepting that the hold on the other Glocks seems to be too big for my puny hands.... while that Sig... that Sig P239. Man, is it ever comfy.

Please keep the comments coming!

The 239 is an excellent weapon, but it is bigger, and has less capacity than the G26, and comparable in size to the 30, but less rounds. The 30 is 10 rounds fo 45. Glock just seems the logical choice.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

The 33 rd mags are fun and make a good club heeheehee,33rounders are nice at the range for working on trigger form,shot placement cause ya dont have to reload so much,but to me have no other use well maybe a back up in the trk,more of a wow factor then anything else...Dont conceal very well hahaha..

here..........I know the 33's can be found cheeper.
    Glock Mags

I Owned Both and Kept the Glock 26

I bought a P239 first and then a Glock 26. I carried both and put them through their paces. I came to the following conclusion...with the G26, I have access to 10 rounds in the standard magazine, and with my factory magazine I only had 8 rounds in the P239. However, I was paying a huge weight penalty to carry the Sig Sauer:

By my calculations I was carrying 2.61 ounces of weight per round with the Glock and a whopping 4.31 ounces of weight per round with the P239. Because I also love having the ability to carry G19 backup mags and have 15 additional rounds, this tipped the scales in the favor of the Glock 26.

I do LOVE the build quality, accuracy and feel of Sig Sauers on general so I traded the P239 for a P229 to use as a home defense/range gun and I exclusively carry the Glock 26. Hope this helps!
    Glock 26 9mm CCW - - S&W 642 Super Tuned - - Remington 870 18.5" 12GA 6+1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links