Range Report, Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro

This is a discussion on Range Report, Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got back from a local range a couple of hours ago after having put 120 rounds of 230gr, FMJ WWB rounds and 20 rounds ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Range Report, Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro

Range Report, Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro

I got back from a local range a couple of hours ago after having put 120 rounds of 230gr, FMJ WWB rounds and 20 rounds of 185gr, JHP Remington Golden Saber down range.

Having been a competitive precision shooter in a former life, the first thing I did was establish a comfortable, repetitive and consistent point of aim. I'm guessing 30 or 40 dry fires on a expended cartridge.

It took me 80 rounds to sight the gun in at 10 yards, 10 rounds at a time. Some of it was getting used to the gun, and breaking in the mechanical parts. Actually adjusting the sights took about 40 of the first 80 rounds. The next 40 rounds were ensuring consistency in my point of aim, and over all getting used to the gun. I then shot 10 rounds of the JHP to see how the gun liked the ammo, and then fired the last 10 rounds for effect, 5 rounds on two target overlays. I'm attaching a picture of the target. Slow fire at 10 yards, 5 rounds, modified Weaver stance.

Observations about the gun:

1) No FTF, FTE or other types of failures.
    2) It is not a gun I'd shoot 2 or 3 hundred rounds through at one sitting. The recoil, while surprisingly manageable for a compact .45, is still a wrist buster, even with a two handed grip.
    3) The quality is excellent. No failures out of the box is a good sign.
    4) The recoil is mostly straight back, with a minimal amount of barrel hop.
    5) The accuracy is amazing. I shoot quite a bit, and have seldom seen out of the box performance like this. The target attached is the last 5 round target overlay. I overlayed the target on a COM silhouette.

When I got home, I field stripped the weapon, thoroughly inspected it for frame cracks, undue wear, and ran some medical gauze up and down the feed ramp to make sure there were no burrs or nicks.

I wanted to shoot more rounds, but as I said, this gun is not a target pistol, and does cause a little fatigue.

All-in-all, I'm am very satisfied with my decision to buy this pistol. I need a couple of hundred more rounds through it before it becomes an everyday carry weapon, but so far, I don't anticipate any problems.

It is my opinion that Taurus is now building a high quality gun which can compete with about any defensive weapon available. I have many hundreds of rounds through my 9mm 24/7 without a problem, and expect the same from the .45 MP.
    Attached Images
    sid1 likes this.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

2. Remove Ads

Thanks. It's great to hear a positive post about Taurus. I've got the PT709 with 500 rounds through it and it's been flawless. My father-in-law bought the PT111 and I really like it. I'm looking at a .40 caliber for my next purchase and I know they make the PT140 as well. I'm still researching many models. I hope it continues to go well for you.

My limited experience with Taurus has been very positive and I feel they are making some quality products. Just be aware that if you have a single issue with a Taurus, it will be recommended that you rub it with garlic, drive a stake through it, and then burn it in a sacrificial ceremony in a dark cave at midnight and hang the remains on a stick at the entrance as a warning to all of the evils they posess. I'm not sure why, but that's the prevailing sentiment.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Just be aware that if you have a single issue with a Taurus, it will be recommended that you rub it with garlic, drive a stake through it, and then burn it in a sacrificial ceremony in a dark cave at midnight and hang the remains on a stick at the entrance as a warning to all of the evils they posess. I'm not sure why, but that's the prevailing sentiment

Yup. Same has been said about my CPX-1. I find it ironic that very few people ever say bad things about the guns they own - just about the guns other people own. Someone even made a remark about a video as another reason not to buy a Taurus. That is just, IMNSHO, a rather stupid and arrogant statement. I figure if I put 2 or 3 hundred rounds through a gun, and there are no unexplained problems, it's reliable. As long as I'm comfortable with it I don't really give a flying f-word what other people think. My money, my gun, my choice.
    CallMaker likes this.

My friend was asking me about a PT111 for a carry gun,I told him they have a long trigger pull that if you shoot 1911's or Glocks,SA XD etc can take a little getting use too.For the price they will get the job done and wouldn't hesitate to carry one if I needed to
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    My friend was asking me about a PT111 for a carry gun,I told him they have a long trigger pull that if you shoot 1911's or Glocks,SA XD etc can take a little getting use too.For the price they will get the job done and wouldn't hesitate to carry one if I needed to
    Agreed. If you are a precision shooter, you get used to releasing the trigger until it "clicks", the click indicating trigger reset. It does take a bit of getting used to. The 145 is a SA/DA gun, but once you chamber a round, it is SA. DA only if you have a misfire and don't jack another round into the chamber. I don't really see the big advantage of the "second chance" since a majority misfires on a center fire cartridge results from a faulty primer or a broken firing pin. (Not all of them, of course). Second chance usually doesn't help. But that's good marketing on Taurus' part.

The long trigger pull does take some getting used to, but that's the reason I shoot as often as I do. It keeps me current and minimizes the "surprises".

10+1 in a compact .45 is a pretty good motivator for at least considering the 145. The fact that I've not heard a lot of complaints about the recent iteration of the Taurus line indicates to me that there has been an improvement in quality.

As far as occasional problems, it matters very little if you have Sig, HK, Glock, Colt, SW ad nauseum, there will be occasional problems with anything that has more than two moving parts.

At this point, I have no regrets or buyer's remorse about owning two Taurus pistols. Along with my Randall, Colts and SW's, I'm pretty happy with my choices.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I recently got a Taurus PT145 and it looks like it might become my primary CC. I have had a S&W CS45 as my primary for years - still love the gun - but as the Taurus has 10 + 1 and a rail while the CS45 is 6 + 1 without a rail I find myself using the Taurus.

Rail is handy for when I'm sacked out for the night - I have a laser \ led light mounted & it's on the nightstand.
    For God, Family and Country!

I have been comptemplating a purchase of the Mil-Pro in .45. I am leaning toward the 745. Thanks for the review.

Thanks for the report. I've been considering this for my first .45. It's good to see some well researched and stated positive reports about it. It always seemed that a lot of people consider it a "cheap" gun but it's beginning to sound like "inexpensive" is a much better word for it and I like that.
    Going to my favorite gun supermarket this weekend and will now definitely rent one and check it out.
    Fleas can be taught nearly anything that a congressman can.
    Mark Twain

The world is not dangerous because of those who do harm but because of those who look at it without doing anything.
    Albert Einstein

DIVEBUM,

Curious,why didn't you go for a 24/7 compact in .45 over the pt145?

Quote Originally Posted by ECHOONE View Post
    DIVEBUM,

Curious,why didn't you go for a 24/7 compact in .45 over the pt145?
    No particular reason. I just liked my friend's 145. It fit my point of aim, and felt good in my hand. The recoil was quite manageable, and quite frankly, I was tired of looking for a reasonably priced .45 compact. I think both guns have 10+1, and the 24/7 is about 2 oz heavier, but I never even tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikcap View Post
    Thanks for the report. I've been considering this for my first .45. It's good to see some well researched and stated positive reports about it. It always seemed that a lot of people consider it a "cheap" gun but it's beginning to sound like "inexpensive" is a much better word for it and I like that.
    Going to my favorite gun supermarket this weekend and will now definitely rent one and check it out.
    I'd be interested in your assessment.

A gun snob I am not!! I think that at one time perhaps Taurus had some quality problems. But as any good manufacturer will do, they seemed to listen to the consumer and made positive adjustments. Unfortunately, there are those who insist on dwelling in the past and are unwilling to accept that Taurus has made great strides in addressing the quality issues. I'm not about to put my life on the line with an unreliable weapon. If and when I decide to carry the 145 on a regular basis, it will be because I've done the up close and personal research. If I decide not to carry it on a regular basis it will be for the same reason and not because of innuendo and third hand information.

About the only gun/s I would never shoot or buy are some of the "Saturday Night Specials, including some of the old Iver Johnson's. I had a friend who had an Iver Johnson .22 that often misfired because the cylinder would not line up with the barrel upon occasion. Kinda dangerous if you ask me.

Sorry for the run on. Let me know how you like the 145 after you've rented one and shot it.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    a refreshing thread...i own a pt111 that has had several thousand rounds through it without a hickup...it shares carry duty with a glock 19 and 30sf depending on what i'm wearing and i would carry it into battle just as readily as i would either of my glocks....it has proven to be a very reliable firearm that feeds anything i load it with and sends every one down range where i aim it...

that does include several trips to the range without cleaning in between also...minimum of 200 rounds anytime it goes to the range and sometimes 300 or better...i wanted a test to prove everything i read from the "experts" who know better was wrong...

i also run into quite a few millenium pro owners of different calibers at the range and have found similar experiences with them...not sure where the dissatisfied guys are hiding....i believe it may be in the past though...

As I have said in other posts I own a number of Taurus handguns. I am satisfied that they work for me, or they would be history. The only problem at this point was a bad mag. ( fail to lock on empty) cust. service took care of no problem. I shoot my 24/7, PT111, and 605 as much as I can, and they serve well. Recently got GLOCKED! I love guns what can I say?

This is starting to sound like an AA meeting or something:

"My name is BugDude...and I own a Taurus."
    Last edited by BugDude; January 12th, 2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: punctuation
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    hello bigdude...welcome...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links