Next buy .40, which one?????

This is a discussion on Next buy .40, which one????? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My next purchase will likely be a 40 cal. My current list of considerations (in no particular order) include: Glock 23 HK USPc HK P2000SK ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

My next purchase will likely be a 40 cal. My current list of considerations (in no particular order) include:

Glock 23
    HK USPc
    HK P2000SK DA/SA with decocker
    Sig P229
    Taurus PT140 M Pro SS
    CZ Rami

If the one I end up going with has the option of a stainless steel slide, I'd prefer SS...but it's not a decision changer.

I've shot and taken down my buddy's G23, so I know what to expect there. I can order one through my local gun shop with my EMS agency ID for about $440. That's a lot of good gun for that price.

I like the features and options of the HKP2000 SK listed above. I haven't had one in hand and I'm not sure of the price as described.

I've handled the Taurus PT140 and shot the 9mm version and I was comfortable with it. For the price difference, I'd go with the G23.

Most of the Sig's I've handled felt bulky in my hand. I haven't handled the P229, so I can't speak to that model specifically.

I know it comes down to personal preference and comfort level along with how much certain features may be worth to me. There are many great firearms and manufacturers out there...far more than I am familiar with. Any thoughts, comparisons, or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I've shot and taken down my buddy's G23, so I know what to expect there. I can order one through my local gun shop with my EMS agency ID for about $440. That's a lot of good gun for that price.
    Well.....you've pretty much said it yourself in your post. G23....plain and simple. Glock on!

Be sure to check out the S&WM&P40 with the 3 interchangable backstraps. You can also buy a 357Sig barrel and have two calibers for the price of one gun.

Glock 23...will make youmuch happier overall. My EDC is a 23. I also have a P228 same size as a p229. The 23 has a much higher degree of "Carry Versatility" and is less bulky IMO. So G23 then 229 in that order.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

glock 23 is the only way to go.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

You said yourself.. I have a Glock 23.. you can't go wrong with it.

I have 3 of the guns on your list, the G23, the USP40c and the Sig P229. They are all good but different.

You didn't mention your application for the gun. If it is for carry, the Glock 23 at the low price you mentioned is very tempting. That would be a lot cheaper than the H&K or the Sig.

I think the Sig P229 is the best of the three for a range gun, where the extra weight is a benefit. I'd rather shoot my P229 at targets than any polymer gun, and can shoot it the best of any of my .40s.

The USP40c is just a good all around gun - lightweight for carry, reliable and accurate. It also looks very good.

Here is a picture of my Glock 23, with a "stainless" slide appearance due to the previous owner having it hard chromed:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I'm a fan of the Glock 27
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Yep.....the G23 sounds like the way to go.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

It would be a CC weapon. I carry what I shoot and I shoot what I carry. I've got 2 snub 38s, and a sub-compact 9mm for CC and a Ruger P95 for range fun. I do not have a .40 currently and want to add one to my CC rotation. Once purchased and proficient, it would likely be my primary CCW.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

You didn't say what your use would be. I have a G23 and it's a fine gun but a little too big (for me at least) for CC. Many people carry this size Glock with no problems. My next purchase in .40 will likely be a G27.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

Do yourself a favor and rent a M&P 40 or 40 compact

G23!

I like the subcompacts and have settled on the G27 after going through about 10 different .40 caliber and 9mm Glocks. For some reason I seem to shoot the G26 and G27 models almost as well as my G34 Practical/Tactical 9mm.

What I like most about the G27 is the option of using 180 gr Federal HST hollow points for self defense and shooting in the Major power division in IPSC meets. As long as you shoot it enough to be proficient and even competitive, then I'd recommend the G27 if you plan to carry concealed.

However, if you can shoot the G27 beside the G23 and other guns you've shot, that would be really nice and a good investment.

I have not shot or handled the other guns you mentioned, so I'm only comparing between Glocks.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

My primary carry is a Glock 23...never failed me yet...touch wood!
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links