Too weak to pull DA trigger?

This is a discussion on Too weak to pull DA trigger? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My fiance and I are in the process of getting our CCWs and arming ourselves. I bought a Charter Arms 357, it has a full ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too weak to pull DA trigger?

Too weak to pull DA trigger?

My fiance and I are in the process of getting our CCWs and arming ourselves. I bought a Charter Arms 357, it has a full external hammer but is a DA/SA firearm. We went to shoot a few rounds through it, using lighter .38s, and she was unable to pull the trigger in DA. I have little experience with handguns, and I know this gun is a little large for her hands (feels good in mine), but is this common? I don't have much experience to gauge the trigger on, but I don't think its excessively heavy. We're definitely going to a range to shoot some candidate firearms before she buys any, so we'll know if she can shoot it or not. I've done a lot of reading, and feel a revolver would be better than a semi auto (she agrees). So should we look hard for a lighter trigger (as long as its factory) in a revolver, get something with a hammer that she can cock, go semi auto, or try to get her stronger.

I'm not really looking for advice as to why my charter is inferior to Smith, Colt, Ruger, Taurus, etc. I have my reasons for buying it and am happy with the purchase. Also this girl is tougher and stronger than most, a good Kentucky farm girl who has thrown her share of hay and can keep up with me doing pretty much anything. This is why we both want her to have a CCW, she is simply weaker than most criminals out there.
    Be Prepared

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    If she is truly to weak to pull the trigger, I'd work on her hand strength before even worrying about shooting let alone buying another gun. If she is that weak in the hands, she is not going to do well with another gun, no matter how light the trigger.
    Hand strength is the single most important variable in self defense; firearm or not.

With all that said, once her hand strength has improved, get her a gun that suits her, not you. You might also be able to change grips to something a bit thinner if its truly a size issue.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    If she is unable to pull the trigger in DA, the gun is unsuitable for her. Change the gun, don't try to change her to fit the gun.

It is hard to believe that a properly functioning DA revolver would have a trigger pull so hard that a fit woman can't use it. Check out the condition of the gun, is one thought going through my mind. There may be a reason for the excessive force needed to pull the trigger.

This statement is curious "Also this girl is tougher and stronger than most, a good Kentucky farm girl who has thrown her share of hay and can keep up with me doing pretty much anything"

---it is odd that someone tougher and stronger than most is having difficulty with it. That tells you something is not right.

If nothing is wrong with the gun and she doesn't have the hand strength to pull the trigger, she is not going to have the hand strength to handle the recoil. As others have said, work on her hand strength, and once she's comfortable with that, she needs to select the gun that she will be using.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

What is the trigger pull (in lbs) in DA on your weapon?

In my opinion she has serious hand and finger strength issues. I can't imagine a situation outside of a disability that would lead to the inability to pull a DA trigger if it's a "normal" trigger pull weight. Regardless of what you do for her with a firearm, she needs to work to strengthen her hands and fingers just to be healthier.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Yeah, something is wrong if she can not pull the DA trigger.
    Would she have the hand wrist strength to rack the slide on an automatic?
    My Dw has trouble with the slide on an automatic but does ok with the DA on her 442.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Yes, that is a little odd. When I was going to the police academy we still used Revolvers at that time...they actually made you take a trigger pull test. they had a revolver that was non firing but had the same trigger pull as a typical DA revolver they made you basically pull the trigger till you just could not pull it anymore and recorded the #..they actually had a set number you HAD to be able to pull it to be able to "pass"(this was done the first day of the academy). I dont remember the exact # of pulls you HAD to be able to do but it was somewhere between 15-20 MINIMUM in a row.....we only had 2 people that could not do it and they were given a hand/trigger strengthening device(looked like the grip of a revolver and trigger but that was it) and told to use it and they would be retested in 2 weeks...they both passed the second time..both were females and they both did over 10 pulls one did 12 the other 14....these were VERY small females..the one dislocated her shoulder firing a box of slugs through a shotgun thats how small she was..and even she could do 12 pulls..so not to be able to do even 1.....eeek try another gun maybe because not trying to slam anyone but thats EXCEEDINGLY weak. Id honestly think possibly even an honest to goodness medical condition so get it checked out cause tis NOT normal.

not to that I have a Taurus CH85 and its DAO being that it does not have a hammer(shaved off) and its honestly a pretty hard DA trigger one of the harder ones ive EVER met(i can feel it in my trigger pull finger after a box of 50)...

what id honestly look at is a well USED Smith or Colt with a broken in trigger ive seen some well used older colts or Smiths with broken in triggers that are just awesome....ive heard that the Ruger LCR has a nice trigger(read that on boards like this one never felt one myself..but one guy described it as the best out of the box DA trigger he had ever pulled) I have also heard that with a auto(and I ONLY recommend a auto for people who train a LOT) the LEM and DAK HK and SIG triggers are also nice.

How would one go about roughly measuring the trigger pull of a gun, without one of those fancy testers?

When I was looking at guns, none of the other triggers I pulled felt significantly different than this one to my untrained hand at least.

I agree, something is not right here...
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by TWeatherford View Post
    How would one go about roughly measuring the trigger pull of a gun, without one of those fancy testers?

When I was looking at guns, none of the other triggers I pulled felt significantly different than this one to my untrained hand at least.

Take it to a good smith. He will have the tools check the trigger pull. Mine has a special at times where he advertises to clean and lub the sidearm for $20.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by TWeatherford View Post

yeah a cheap trigger pull/weight gauge thats the best way to really "tell" for example here is one its inexpensive..ive always wanted one just to have...

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product.php?productid=4949

Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    Yes, that is a little odd. When I was going to the police academy we still used Revolvers at that time...they actually made you take a trigger pull test. they had a revolver that was non firing but had the same trigger pull as a typical DA revolver they made you basically pull the trigger till you just could not pull it anymore and recorded the #..they actually had a set number you HAD to be able to pull it to be able to "pass"(this was done the first day of the academy). I dont remember the exact # of pulls you HAD to be able to do but it was somewhere between 15-20 MINIMUM in a row.....
    Ohio State Highway Patrol makes you dry fire the P226 in this sequence:

12 Strong Hand
    Rack Slide
    9 Strong Hand
    Rack Slide
    9 Strong Hand
    Rack Slide
    9 Weak Hand
    Rack Slide x2
    9 Strong Hand
    Rack Slide
    12 Strong Hand
    Rack Slide
    6 Strong Hand
    Rack Slide x2
    6 Strong Hand
    Rack Slide
    8 Strong Hand
    Lock Slide Back

And you have 5 minutes
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    If she is unable to pull the trigger in DA, the gun is unsuitable for her. Change the gun, don't try to change her to fit the gun...

---it is odd that someone tougher and stronger than most is having difficulty with it. That tells you something is not right.
    This right here is good sensible sense. ^^

I'd have referred to it as 'common sense' but everybody including Voltare has long known there ain't no such thing.

Clearly the problem is the gun (though not necessarily mechanical) not the shooter.

Yet another example of why I and many others very often advise to men to leave women alone and let them choose their own handgun...And to women to not ask men including brothers, husbands and BFs to pick a gun for them.
    You would no more ask a male to select a bra for a female nor a male ask a woman to buy work shoes/boots for their husband without either person being there to try it on and check for specific fit.

One size does NOT fit all with guns and operation.

Trigger pull weights vary widely as does grip width and distance to the trigger which very much can affect trigger pull ability due to difference in hand size never mind strength.

Go to a rental range and have her try a wide variety of other firearms DAO, DA/SA, and SA too.
    Let her pick and choose what works best for her and go from there.
    You keep your Charter Arms as for use by you.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    yeah a cheap trigger pull/weight gauge thats the best way to really "tell" for example here is one its inexpensive..ive always wanted one just to have...

RCBS Trigger Pull Gauge - RCBS Accessories - RCBS - Reloading Accessories - Gamaliel Shooting Supply
    Be advised that gauge only goes to 72 ounces - 4.5 pounds. Most DA trigger pulls, both pistol and revolver, are higher than that unless they've had some serious trigger work done on them.

If you're going to spend the money on a trigger pull gauge, do it right the first time and get the Lyman Digital. The mechanical gauges are seldom accurate to anything better than a half-pound, no matter what the advertising says.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Some great advice here, I just want to mention that you really need to find a firearm that fits her. Go to a range where they rent guns and let her try out a few. Different firearms have different grip angles, trigger pulls, balance, etc. If you dont get her something she likes and fells comfortable shooting, she wont carry it and that defeats the purpose of having a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    Ohio State Highway Patrol makes you dry fire the P226 in this sequence:

12 Strong Hand
    Rack Slide
    9 Strong Hand
    Rack Slide
    9 Strong Hand
    Rack Slide
    9 Weak Hand
    Rack Slide x2
    9 Strong Hand
    Rack Slide
    12 Strong Hand
    Rack Slide
    6 Strong Hand
    Rack Slide x2
    6 Strong Hand
    Rack Slide
    8 Strong Hand
    Lock Slide Back

And you have 5 minutes

I think back then it was over either 30 seconds or a minute. Cant remember it was back in 1990 lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links