Do it, Don't do it. Looking for feedback

This is a discussion on Do it, Don't do it. Looking for feedback within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a CW9 that runs good and I like the way it carries. I've been thinking about another gun purchase in the 9mm caliber ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do it, Don't do it. Looking for feedback

I have a CW9 that runs good and I like the way it carries. I've been thinking about another gun purchase in the 9mm caliber for use as a pocket pistol. I've had my sights on the Kahr PM9, but not quite sold on its use in that capacity, but figured it would be useful for other deep concealment needs as well, i.e. Ankle carry, bellyband.

What I'm thinking of doing is converting my CW9 into a covert model by cutting the grip down to accommodate the PM9 magazine. As a lot of you know, the height of a pistol is usually the toughest measurement to conceal as apposed to barrel length, or at least it is for me. I've done some research on the process and it honestly looks pretty simple to achieve. My question is, (Do I really want to do this?). My quick answer is yes, but I want to make sure I haven't overlooked anything by wanting a shorter, thinner 9mm pistol over the stock version. My take on it is, I can't see any advantages to keep it stock, but at the same time I don't want to make the cut and regret it. The only disadvantage I can find is one less round, 8 vs 7 fully loaded.

I'm wanting to pickup a 1911 of some type in March, but I wanted to fill my 9mm needs, and if this works like I hope it will, that's what I'll probably do, if the price is right that is. If I can't find one thats reasonable I'll add another Glock to the inventory instead, but I really want a good 1911. Anyway, below is a couple of pick of what I fond on the chop job, and it's on the venue for this evening unless someone points out why I shouldn't do it.

KahrP9Covert_4.jpg

001.jpg

KahrP9Covert_5.jpg

001-1.jpg

KahrP9Covert_1.jpg

Your insight and knowledge is appreciated!

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

JD
    Administrator
    Why not just find a P9 Covert and NOT chop your frame?

Then again, you'd have an easier time finding a Unicorn holding a box of .380 in it's mouth, but at least you wouldn't regret chopping your frame.

Cause I want to purchase a Kimber in March, or one of the other decent 1911's in the $1000 range, but if I go for the PM9 or the P9 Covert my 1911 purchase is put on hold until next year.... Not something I want to do.

My CW9 is doing nothing but sitting in the safe. This way I can get me another 9mm pocket option besides my LCP or 642.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

JD
    Administrator
    So you all ready have two perfectly good pocket guns, but want to chop the frame of a perfectly good gun that you like the way it works and carries to be another pocket gun.

As you haven't said, I'll ask. Have you tried the CW9 in the pocket of different pairs of pants to see how the length of the slide willwork with pocket carry?

Amen dont do a chop job..if you arent gonna use a CW9 trade it toward a PM9 or a P9 Covert like JD says.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Absolutely try it before you cut.

I pocket carried a PM9 for several years, but some pants (business attire suit pants) have very shallow pockets. The length of the slide absolutely would make a difference - even the shorter PM9 would peek out of the pocket with those pants - had to keep my suit coat on.

A less expensive alternative is to take the pants to a seamstress, and have your pockets made deeper.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

9mm +p vs .380 or .38, I'll go with the 9.
    7 rounds 9mm vs 5 .38 and 7 .380. I'll go with the 9 again.

Yes, I have tried the CW9 in the pocket and if I crop the grip it will work. That's why I'm wanting to do it...

GBK

JD
    Administrator
    For the record this is a topic I've thought a lot about. as I want to take a K9 and chop the frame to MK9 dimensions as a replacement gun for my Colt Mustang +II, the only reason I'm even entertaining this is that no such beast was made by Kahr, the K40 came in a Covert for a very limited time, but there was no K9 Covert that I have found and as I carry the gun IWB I'm not concerned with the slide length and would prefer the longer bbl of the K9 to the MK9.

The only reason I haven't done this yet is that I haven't really found anyone to do the work yet and until I get my IA permit (class this month... finally) what's the point?

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I personally would not do it. If you somehow screw up, you have $400 worth of junk! Plus, you have no way of knowing whether or not you will like or be happy with the gun, until it's cut.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Administrator
    I'm going to go against conventional wisdom, and say go for it. But, proceed with caution.

Here is why I say do it; First, a used CW9 really doesnt hold much dollar value. Its a great little CC piece, but in its current configuration it is not doing you much good. Although you are taking away from value is in the gun by altering it, you probably will be adding a lot of value to a niche market should you want to sell it down the road. Just make sure you have the skill and tools to do the job correctly, with a nice and clean finish.
    I had a P9 covert for a while, and I'm sorry I got rid of it. I thought the PM9 would carry much better... but it really doesnt.

Measure, measure and measure again before you cut.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm going to go against conventional wisdom, and say go for it. But, proceed with caution.

Here is why I say do it; First, a used CW9 really doesnt hold much dollar value. Its a great little CC piece, but in its current configuration it is not doing you much good. Although you are taking away from value is in the gun by altering it, you probably will be adding a lot of value to a niche market should you want to sell it down the road. Just make sure you have the skill and tools to do the job correctly, with a nice and clean finish.
    I had a P9 covert for a while, and I'm sorry I got rid of it. I thought the PM9 would carry much better... but it really doesnt.
    Agreed as to the used value and it use to me sitting in the safe. For the most part I don't sell or trade my pistols. You never get what you have in um, and it's been my experience that somewhere down the road I always regretted the trade for one reason or the other. I appreciate the suggestions and concerns that have been expressed, but I have pretty much already decided to do the work, but was wondering if there was some advantages I should give consideration to for keeping it stock, other than the value. I really don't care if the value goes down from the alteration as I'm not gonna sell, or trade it anyway. It's a good running 9mm IMO and I want to keep it, more to the point I want to carry it. My true goal is to alternate between my LCP and my CW9 as my pocket pistols. Mostly around the house or around town on the weekends. I do have all the tools I'll need and I've always considered myself pretty skillful, so I'm not to worried about failing in the alteration, but I agree, it would only take one snafu and there ya go...

I like 10thmtn's suggestion on the pocket alteration, that's a keeper there. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Measure, measure and measure again before you cut
    Will do and good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    I personally would not do it. If you somehow screw up, you have $400 worth of junk! Plus, you have no way of knowing whether or not you will like or be happy with the gun, until it's cut.
    From my preliminary measuring it will be something very close to the measurement of my G26 with the factory mag in it. I really like the way my G26 conceals and with the thinner Kahr I think it'll be perfect.

I'll post pics when I'm done with it.

Good luck with the mod!

I though about chopping the grip on my Glock 19, to turn it into a hybrid G19/26. I even had a 'smith who would do it for a very reasonable price. But, in the end, I just bought a G26...I couldn't bear the idea of cutting up my G19!

Let us know how it turns out. You might have found yourself a new side business...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Thanks man, I appreciate the encouraging words!

Administrator
    Make sure you post pictures if you decide to go for it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links