Glock 23 VS Taurus 709

This is a discussion on Glock 23 VS Taurus 709 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok guys I wanted to ask this on a NON Bias forum so here it goes. I currently own a Glock 23. Its a 2nd ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 23 VS Taurus 709

Glock 23 VS Taurus 709

Ok guys I wanted to ask this on a NON Bias forum so here it goes. I currently own a Glock 23. Its a 2nd Generation(no rail) Glock thats been 100%. I can shoot it well and its totally reliable..

the only thing that I DONT like about it is..It feels horrible in my hands when shooting and I often have to repossession my hands to get the grip right if im shooting more than a few rounds..I dont think this would be a concern in a SD scenerio but for range shooting/practice it is. Also I find it a tad bit big and bulky for year around CC use the slide is a bit thick. Although I have carried it in the summer with cargo type shorts and a baggy t shirt with no problems.

I have been looking to trade or even sell the Glock for around 2 years now with no luck. But yesterday while talking to a local gun store I was told that they had a shipment of Taurus 709 Slims coming in on Thurs or Fri this week. He said that he would trade for what basically amounts to $25 out of pocket for me for a new Taurus 709 slim. This would be a trade for my Glock 23 with 3 hi cap mags Warren Tactical(all black not night sights)sights and the original tupperware box and mag loader.

What should I do guys..should I trade for a brand new out of the box gun that will be lighter and thinner and probably better year around CC..or stick with what I got and know is reliable??

NOTE: I have bought,sold,traded plenty of guns over the years and have NEVER regretted a single sale or trade..if I like something THAT well I just KEEP it..so this would not be something I would regret ebcause I have any love for the gun..I just want to know if its a decent deal or not and if its worth it?

2. Remove Ads

I have a 2 gen G23 and would suggest maybe putting more ammo through it. Have you shot it very much? Since 1990 I probably have only put 300 rounds through mine and it feels wierd every time I shoot it but I get used to it pretty quick. I think you will regret getting rid of it!

I hear a lot of comments about the sketchy reliability of taurus semi-autos, consider that. I personally love my Glock 19 and I've got the wife wanting a Glock 9mm of her own, but the grip is just too thick. I wish Glock would make a single stack in 9mm.

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I had a G23 and didn't like so i sold it for my taurus pt145. I have the pt709 and love it, It's almost the only gun I carry.. Do the trade...
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

Administrator
    Don't trade the Glock for a Taurus. I'd look for something a little more equal.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    I have a 2 gen G23 and would suggest maybe putting more ammo through it. Have you shot it very much? Since 1990 I probably have only put 300 rounds through mine and it feels wierd every time I shoot it but I get used to it pretty quick. I think you will regret getting rid of it!
    ive put over 1000 rounds through it in the last 2-3 years mixed .40 and 9mm(with the conversion barrel)

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I hear a lot of comments about the sketchy reliability of taurus semi-autos, consider that. I personally love my Glock 19 and I've got the wife wanting a Glock 9mm of her own, but the grip is just too thick. I wish Glock would make a single stack in 9mm.

Joker1
    Me too, I HATE the Glocks grips and would not buy another one but I got this one because I tried to convince myself 5 years ago when I bought it that id "get used to" the grips and I didnt.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Don't trade the Glock for a Taurus. I'd look for something a little more equal.
    well as far as cost goes they are about equal..around $375 and I can sell the Glock for $375 ive tried for 2 years, no takers...and thats about what the Taurus is brand new give or take. The reliability factor was the only thing i worry about..I also have had a Taurus PT99 that ran 100% never a problem and I have currently a Taurus CH85 that I also CC and its also 100%.

If you have aTaurus autos that run reliably, you aren't pushing them very hard. I have yet to see one survive a full season of USPSA, and my personal experience with them has been horrible. My old PT945 was EASILY the worst gun I've ever fired, and that includes Hi-Point and Jiminez (ewwww).

Trade a GLOCK for a Taurus? No brainer. "Just say No".

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

No way...a Used Glock for a New Taurus is like a Used Mercedes for a New Geo Metro.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    If you have aTaurus autos that run reliably, you aren't pushing them very hard. I have yet to see one survive a full season of USPSA, and my personal experience with them has been horrible. My old PT945 was EASILY the worst gun I've ever fired, and that includes Hi-Point and Jiminez (ewwww).

Trade a GLOCK for a Taurus? No brainer. "Just say No".

Dan
    believe me ive been trying to trade it for basically anything else and its just not happened unfortunately. I made the Glock mistake and I regret it I wont get another. But since I do have this one ive been debating keep or trade. and the PT 99 had around 3000 rounds through it without a single failure I trust it as much as any gun ever made(i traded it long ago for a Colt Mustang II for CC) but ive not owned a Taurus semi auto since then only the revolver .

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    No way...a Used Glock for a New Taurus is like a Used Mercedes for a New Geo Metro.
    im getting that impression...only thing I cant figure out is why is it so hard to trade or sell a used Glock?? I mean around here and on the sites im on its listed at what I consider a reasonable price and almost 2 years no trades or sale..just cant seem to get rid of it for anything decent..guess thats part of what irritates me. I guess I COULD do the next best thing and fix what Glock screwed up and get a grip job done on it...keep it for CC for when I wear heavier clothes and then get a Taurus 709 for the summer...I just kick myself for getting the Glock over the Steyr in the first place...but leave it to me to make the wrong decision or have bad luck...thats my MO :(

The Glock is certainly a good gun, but you apparently decided a long time ago that you wanted to get rid of it. I've got a PT-709 that has more than a thousand rounds through it. It is my carry gun and I practice with it regularly - I am certain it is as reliable as any of my other guns. For me, it is pocketable with loose jeans, but I usually have it in a SmartCarry holster. The gun is deadly accurate, easy to shoot, and the felt recoil is very reasonable. I've put more than a dozen types of FMJ and JHP through it with no issues to speak of. There are reports of some 709s with extractor issues, but a good portion of the problem guns have been sent back to Taurus and have been fixed. The gun needs to be kept clean, particularly in the firing mechanism. I paid $385 for my SS 709. If you plan to carry it, I would suggest getting the stainless rather than the blued version - some have reported that the Taurus bluing has some durability problems.

If you've made up your mind (and it sounds like you did this a long time ago) to get rid of the Glock, IMHO you should seriously consider buying the 709.
    Slow scopes, fast cars.
    'Chance favors the prepared mind' - Louis Pasteur

Stick with the Glock. Maybe try a rubber grip sleve such as a Pachmyr(sp?). It helps my hands quite a bit.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    As I've stated on other threads.....I love my 709 and have had NO problems. I shoot with two other guys that shoot a 709 and again, NO problems....NONE. I can't speak for what others have had with Taurus, but I sure can't say anything bad and continue to trust them.

It's pretty much like a Harley and a Honda. I've always rode a Honda and that person likes a Harley. In his eyes there is no other bike, but in mine give me a Honda.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links