New Kahr

New Kahr

This is a discussion on New Kahr within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a new pistol. Yesterday I bought a CW9. I cleaned it last night and discovered the recoil rod and spring were different than ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Kahr

New Kahr

I have a new pistol. Yesterday I bought a CW9. I cleaned it last night and discovered the recoil rod and spring were different than the owner manual described. The recoil guide rod is blue steel and the recoil spring is not a captured spring but a single long spring. I am guessing about 18 pounds based on the difficulty I had re-assembling the pistol. This is good news to me because I have read that some owners replace the original guide rod with a steel model.

Over the past two years I have developed carry problems with either IWB or belt holsters and compact or larger pistols. I found myself carrying a P32 and nothing else. I want to try this size, weight pistol to see if I can carry it always and keep the P32 as a backup. I suffer from joint and skin problems. Weight and pressure seem to make the condition worse.

So I hope 9mm will soon be my carry caliber again. I am going to the range this week to start the break in process. Any advice or encouragement is welcome! I know I have no Shame!

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

The CW9 seems to be a great value and there are a lot of people on here who love theirs. Congrats.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new CW9... Mine has been flawless... Remember...

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

New Kahr

I plan a trip to the range Wednesday morning. I will send some photos after I clean my new baby!

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Sweet! Hope to get mine out of layaway soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Congrats, hope it serves you well.

Well I cant speak on the CW9, but I recently bought a CW45 and I love it. Small, compact and reliable. Well worth the $$$$

I love my cw9, it has been 100%. I believe you are simply just reading the wrong section in the manual. The dual captured spring guide rod is on the mk and pm series guns w/ a 3.0in barrel.

New Kahr

I have researched this pistol, the CW9 for some time. I had a chance to shoot several magazines through a MK9 Elite, and later a PM9. I thought the shorter grip and barrel made them some harder to control. I did not have a chance to shoot any of Kahrs larger pistols, but thought the 4.5 inch grip and 3.6 inch barrel would be easer to manage. I will find out tomorrow. I did order a spare magazine and a Hogue handall from Kahr. I think they will arrive next week. I dug out old holsters to see if any would work until I decide what to buy. I discovered that my Don Hume leather XD paddle and pancake holsters will work. And then a surprise! The Crossbreed Super Tuck for my Browning Hi-Power fits as though it were made for the CW9. I can not wear that holster for long before a welt will rise but it is amazing how well it fits the Crossbreed.

-- Richard

Congrats on the new Kahr. I love mine, In fact, now that I made it a covert CW9 model I love it even more ... Be sure to break that sucker in good.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I have a CW9, 500+ rounds. I am now testing Hornady defense ammo. This is a great gun. Shoot the heck out of it, and enjoy it. I added a Laserguard,which I like, but it does limit holsters.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RKirk View Post
    I cleaned it last night and discovered the recoil rod and spring were different than the owner manual described. The recoil guide rod is blue steel and the recoil spring is not a captured spring but a single long spring.

This is good news to me because I have read that some owners replace the original guide rod with a steel model.

-- Richard
    It sounds like you have all the original parts. The Kahr manuals are applicable to all their models, so as previously written, you need to read the correct section... for the P, CW and TP models.

The spring goes on only one way...closed end on the guide rod. Remember to load the chamber by using the slide release. The Hogue grip is a good thing to add IMO.

Congrats on your purchase of an excellent weapon. I only have PM series and use Don Hume IWB and they work flawlessly for me with a not so tight belt, I find I don't have any pressing or pinching issues.

KCGator
    Glock 23, 26, 27, 30, & 36
    Kahr PM9, PM40, & PM45
    Springfield Armory XD9SC & XD40SC
    Taurus 85GRY2UL
    Beretta PX4 Storm SC 9mm
    Keltec P3AT & NAA 22LLR

Congrats on your new pistola, and I hope that your new CW9 is more that you could have imagined.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

New Kahr

Guys, thank you I have bad information about the CW9. I thought it came with a plastic guide rod. I have the box open and will read the owners manual again. I am very happy with the CW9 and am ready to shoot tomorrow. A range report tomorrow. I have a 640 x 480 photo if I can make this work.

-- Richard
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links