Time to get a Glock 26 this Saturday....

This is a discussion on Time to get a Glock 26 this Saturday.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Glock 21sf and I REALLY like it! Unfortunately, it is far too heavy for me to be comfortable wearing it for concealed ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to get a Glock 26 this Saturday....

I have a Glock 21sf and I REALLY like it! Unfortunately, it is far too heavy for me to be comfortable wearing it for concealed carry. In Houston, there are far too many days where you want to dress light and the Glock 21 would not be too good.

I carry a Ruger LCR .38 special now and I really like it, but I would like to get a Glock 26 and alternate and see which I would really like best in the long run. Besides, one can never have TOO many guns, right?

One thing that confuses me a bit is what kind of 9mm ammo to buy. I have read articles that say NEVER use 147 grain, some say you should ALWAYS use 147 grain, some say other and it is driving me crazy and I am hoping you all could help me out.

What would you recommend in 9mm ammo for:

1. Range shooting
    2. Concealed carry

Thank you all in advance ahead of time. And I will post a photo of the happy trio of guns with the Remington 870 keeping a watchful eye on them all.

Quote Originally Posted by PSLOwner View Post

1. Range shooting
    2. Concealed carry
    1 Cheap ammo.

2 Reliable, accurate ammo that meets FBI performance standards which you can control out of a smaller gun.

Weight doesn't matter.
    Reliability matters. Accuracy matters. Ammo that meets FBI spec matters.

The rest is just internet posting.

For range ammo, try Blazer. It is aluminum-cased so non reloadable but is relatively cheap and works well in the G26.

Mic
    for the range, whatever Wallyland has in stock, UPC, Winchester, Federal, etc etc
    For CC/PD any LE grade HP, but I prefer Federal Hydrashok 180grn, about $25 for a 20ct box
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Speer GD is one of the most reliable for expansion, and one of the few bonded bullets on the market, next in line is the Winchester Ranger SXT, also bonded. They have both worked very reliably in my Glocks. I would go with the GD Short Barrel, in whatever grain it comes in. Here it is...

Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Ammunition 9mm Luger +P 124 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 20 - MidwayUSA
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

1. Range shooting
    2. Concealed carry
    1. 115gr
    2. 124gr or 124gr+P
    My Rx.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    speer gold dot is great feeding and has very good expansion characteristics...there are many schools of thought regarding bulllet weight and a heavier bullet travelling slower prevents excess penetration and has very good expansion...you really cant go wrong with 124 gr or 147 gr....

but shop around...$21 for 20 rounds is ridiculous...you can do much better on 50 round boxes...may be hard to find them in stock but its been getting easier...

Ammunition To Go : 50rds - 9mm Speer LE Gold Dot 147gr. HP Ammo [53619] - $24.95

VIP Member
    I tend to use whatever FMJ load I can find cheap for practice. For carry, I typically carry a +P 124gr load. I also have a stock pile of the 115gr +P+ Federal 'FBI' load (9BPLE) and it has a very good stopping power record, it's my favorite...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Here is a cool link:

124gr +P Speer Gold Dot (IWBA 4-layer denim)

I shoot whatever is cheapest and I can get my hands on for range use, and I usually keep my 9's stoked with either Gold Dot's or Corbon Pow'r Ball.

If you get a G26, no need to worry as it will digest most anything you feed it while at the range. As for SD, most engagements will occur, according to research, in 21 feet or less from your muzzle blast. I personally don't think it makes much difference in the grain...the difference is in the "reliability of your weapon" and the "accuracy of your shot placement". JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Thanks guys, this has been really helpful.

Now I just gotta find the ammo!

Quote Originally Posted by PSLOwner View Post
    Thanks guys, this has been really helpful.

Now I just gotta find the ammo!
    I have been happy with Speer 124gr Gold Dot as well as Federal 124gr Hydra Shock. I'm of the school of thought that regardless of whether those are the best available, they are fairly top-tier, and shot placement is what's going to make or break.

Ammo for an autoloader has to send a few hundred trouble-free rounds (you choose the specific number) downrange to ensure it feeds/fires/extracts & ejects reliably; so once I've found one that works, it has to be available from a source where I can consistently buy it in bulk. I am shocked that ATG doesn't have the 124's in stock, and hope that changes soon - I've always bought from there in the past. I have some of the 147gr Gold Dots, but haven't tested them yet.

Oh, forgot this link:
    http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php
    May be helpful for finding range ammo. When I'm not shooting reloads, I like the 100ct Winchester White Box from Walmart.

what about pow'r ball?

I like the performance numbers on Cor Bon Powr'ball. Any thoughts about this load? I'm shooting a Glock 26, brand new by the way. I also use it in 40 cal in my Glock 23.

Quote Originally Posted by jsunsr View Post
    I like the performance numbers on Cor Bon Powr'ball. Any thoughts about this load? I'm shooting a Glock 26, brand new by the way. I also use it in 40 cal in my Glock 23.
    I used to use this round. However, every test I've seen shows it shedding its jacket upon impact. Since it is a light-weight round to begin with, this is not a good thing.

I would only use this round if your pistol has trouble feeding something else. YMMV.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

My carry ammo for the G26 is Hornaday TAP 147 grain, only because Speer Gold Dot is hard to find (and stupid expensive) down here.

One suggestion for you - get the Pearce +1 grip extensions for your magazines, and immediately replace the springs with Wolff +10% springs. The grip extensions make the pistol much more comfortable to shoot, and the standard mag springs are on the weak side.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links