New Sig P238 range report w/ good and bad

This is a discussion on New Sig P238 range report w/ good and bad within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First, let me say I absolutely love this gun. Now let me say that there is something seriously wrong at Sig. I've been considering buying ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Sig P238 range report w/ good and bad

New Sig P238 range report w/ good and bad

First, let me say I absolutely love this gun.

Now let me say that there is something seriously wrong at Sig. I've been considering buying a 238 for quite some time, and as some of you know, I bought one last Thursday. I'd say the good vs. bad reviews that I've seen are about 50/50, but being the type of guy that has to have the newest thing, I went ahead and bought one knowing my chances of getting a good one were slim. I was not dissappointed.

I had all of these plans to check the gun's operation before heading to the range to maximize my chances of everything working. Well, at 3:30PM I finally got home with it, and totally forgot about all that stuff. I broke it down and cleaned it up, then headed straight out the door to the range. Should have known better.

Loaded my first mag and went to release the slide. Lo and behold it failed to go to battery. I expected to have some problems, but not chambering the very first round. Lucky for me, my knowledge of 1911 style pistols has greatly improved over the last year, and I imediately knew exactly what was wrong. I checked the extractor, and sure enough it was so tight that it would not allow rim of the case by, at all. I adjusted the extractor based on instructions on this forum and the 1911 forum and loaded the magazine again. Presto! All problems solved. After the simple adjustment of the extractor, I fired 100 flawless rounds. Comapred to the LCP or P3at (used to own), the P238 is simply amazing. No recoil to speak of, no horrible trigger pull, and it's a 1911 style gun. Only other point to speak of is the trigger. I was actually expecting it to be a little lighter pull, like my other 1911. It was just a little harder, but I guess that's ok since it is a pocket pistol.

Now to rant a little. I understand a company like Sig probably doesn't take the time to check every pistol of reliability, but come on, the gun was test fired! How in the heck did that guy not notice the round wouldn't chamber! Sig's freakin slogan on the back of the owner's manual says "Reliability, First Time, Every Time". Maybe if they would take a couple of extra minutes they would stop getting all of these terrible reviews. I think the vast majority of complaints have been FTRTB, most people saying the slide sticks back 1/8" to 1/4". This is an extremely easy problem to fix, but apparently there are a lot of people who don't know how to check an extractor.

Moral of the story is....

- Sig needs to actually check the P238s extractors before sending them out.

- If you are having FTRTB problems, check your extractor tightness

- The P238 is a sweet, sweet pistol.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    great report! Which one did you get? I almost picked up the Equinox P238 last week, but WOW are they pricey. (Bought a MacBook instead.)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I bought the Two-Tone from Buds for $479 shipped. It was the only one they had. I'm uploading pictures right now, so I'll post them shortly.

Pictures

Solo

With her big brother

Oh yeah, I also get to re-seat and re-crimp 200 rounds of reloaded .45 since I decided not to measure my length. They all ended up about .02" too long and wouldn't feed!!!

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by j21blackjack View Post
    Oh yeah, I also get to re-seat and re-crimp 200 rounds of reloaded .45 since I decided not to measure my length. They all ended up about .02" too long and wouldn't feed!!!
    Hate it when that happens. I made the exact same measuring mistake years ago on my Dillon 450 to tune of 250 rds. Small world.

Nice pistols BTW! They compliment each other very well.

I too find it hard to believe Sig let that 238 out after being test fired. Wonder how they are loading the test round? I'd ask them as this is a QC issue and I've never seen a Sig malfunction.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I'm thinking about sending a friendly email to Sig and letting them know about the issue.

Mine did not come with a spent casing.

Luckily, it has been flawless.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Gorgeous pics!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Hmmm. Seems like the issues at Sig haven not been solved. I got a lot of flak from people when I had problems with my P238. At least now it's pretty commonly know that Sig has quality control problems on the P238.

You can send them an email but don't hold your breath for a response.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

VIP Member
    I realize they will work after some massaging and the so-called break-in, but I come from a time when firearms worked the first time, every time. Unless it’s some high-end variant such as a Wilson or the like’ I’m no longer interested. I actually left my semi-autos and reverted back to more simplistic revolvers.
    Yeah I know, but still.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Nice report, thanks.

My wife's P238 has had some issues as well, mostly failure to feed stoppages. From what I've gathered, there are a number of different magazine follower revisions out there. I checked the 3 mags we have, and each follower is slightly different.

When I talked to a guy in customer service, I asked them which follower was the correct one. He replied "the one that works." So we have to burn through hard-to-find .380 ammo finding out which mag works? Finally, he did agree to send me some replacement magazines.

So far, only the magazine on the left works flawlessly. The other 2 mags will do this:

and the weirdest stoppage so far:

Hey DirksterG30, have you checked your extractor tightness. That first failure to feed looks exactly like what happened to me. If you take your slide off, you should be able to insert a round easily into the extractor, but it should hold the round just tight enough not to fall out. Mine was so freaking tight, I couldn't shove the round into place at all. It was also very difficult to get the extractor out because it was bent pretty much into a curve. I straightened it out a little, and bingo, no more failures.

Oh, and by the way, your thread is one of the many I read before I bought the gun too.

j21blackjack,

I did check the extractor after I had the malfunction in the first picture, and the tension seemed to be within spec.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links