Defensive Carry banner

Hi-points came up in a conversation with a friend the other day.

2K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  bladenbullet 
#1 ·
So a friend of mine, works for a government agency dealing with firearms on a regular (everyday) basis. He was able to take a tour of the Hi-point manufactruing facility. The owner, Tom Deeb, guided their tour. He told me some interesting things he learned while there.

Number one, just to show how cheaply made these guns are...He said that a large blast furnace was bought and brought in to heat treat the finish on the guns. However, they use two old used household kitchen ranges to bake on the finishes sitting in a corner against a wall. My friend said they were different colors and looked like something that should be in the junk yard. They put them on pans and put them in the oven to bake them like cookies. The owner says "the guys couldnt outwork the oven so why bother with that big ol blast furnace." :bier:

Number two...As a testament to what kind of a somewhat shrewd businessman the owner truly is, he says it takes his workers an average of 52 minutes (don't quote me)to assemble a frame on a gun. He says that there are plenty of ways for him to up the production time in his plants, but why? He says if he speeds up production, he puts more guns on the market faster which decreases demands which would cause him to lay off workers. If he keeps production times and numbers as is, he keeps his work force all working and feeding their families.

Both very interesting things good and bad. I just couldnt believe they are making guns in kitchen ovens. :blink: It was however refreshing to see a big businessman who is interested in more than just profit. Just some things to chew on....:smoke23:

See less See more
#3 ·
interesting....it doesn't surprise me on the "cooking guns in the oven" bit...I have a hi-point .380 and while it's fun to shoot it's definitely not the most quality piece in my arsenal. I can't believe this guy would show off his facility if it was in this kind of shape, but you have to hand it to him at least he's caring towards his workers and sounds like he's working in the right direction...who knows one day he could be the next big thing. I wish them well.

#4 ·
They say he is a very common down to earth person, and that if you met him you would not think he was a millionaire businessman. He said that he was at an awards banquet to receive an award where my friend was, and he said he didnt even wear a suit jacket, because he didnt own one. LOL Dressing up to him was black jeans. LOL

#5 ·
This guy sounds like a real good ol'boy. Haha well atleast he sounds like he's staying genuine.

#9 ·
I own several of his creations, they still do what I want them to do. But hey there will aways be a hitch in everyones get-along. Thanks for the inside look.

#12 ·
haha OP's words, not mine ;)

#15 ·
I love to hear about responsible people doing good things. I really like the idea of keeping your people employed. Too bad I think their product is junk or I would bring them my business.

#16 ·
its not hard to believe anything about the company as reported....they build an inexpensive gun that isnt the most beautiful thing in the world but it allows people who might normally not be able to afford to own a gun own one...they go bang and from what ive seen at the range can be fairly accurate...ive thought about purchasing one just because theyre so damned inexpensive..but thats just the "i wanna buy more guns" guy talking....

good on em...theres an a$$ for every seat...

#20 ·
:congrats:Alot I don t like about them, but one thing people use to be proud of is that it is made in the Good Ol USA.:congrats: And yes I did own one once. Maybe they will improve .

#21 ·
I wish the company well. If the pistol functions as it should, and it helps someone, or some family defend themselves, then I'm glad for um. Pretty funny about the use of the ovens.:hand5:

Thanks for the interesting story.

#23 ·
This is my first post. I decided to join after lurking and this subject peeked my interest. My first firearm was a Hi-point C9. I purchased it because of funds being tight and I wanted to learn to shoot and get my CCW. I used this gun through my CCW class and yes I got some weird looks and comments on my choice of weapon. This cheap hand gun with my help placed all 50 shots with-in the black rings. I was the only other guy to do this out of 14 students.

I have put about 400 rounds through my C9 without a FTF. Now that I have my CCW I realize that this gun is just to darn heavy and bulky to carry for my taste. Now I carry a Glock 23 but I have kept my Hi-Point for range firing. I personally will never knock a Hi-point for what I have experienced and +1 for it being American made and the lifetime warranty that backs it up.

#24 ·
Before anyone writes anything about a HiPoint, they need to actually spend some time with one. If you do, you will notice thar they are very heavy, particularly top-heavy, the triggers are hard and gritty, and they are even uglier than a Glock.

You would also notice that they function with any and all ammo, and are pretty darn accurate. They also have fully adjustable sights, carry a lifetime warranty, and are made in the US of A.

#28 ·
Before anyone writes anything about a HiPoint, they need to actually spend some time with one. If you do, you will notice thar they are very heavy, particularly top-heavy, the triggers are hard and gritty, and they are even uglier than a Glock.

You would also notice that they function with any and all ammo, and are pretty darn accurate. They also have fully adjustable sights, carry a lifetime warranty, and are made in the US of A.
I agree they are accurate (in fact when it shoots, I'm as good with a C9 as I am my G19). However, I've yet to see a C9 get thru a box of 'Brown Bear' without jamming. In fact about 20 rounds into the box, it'll be jamming with every magazine. Now you'll get to know the finer aspects of C9 ownership when it's time to clean it :image035:.

#27 ·
Thats why rich people have their money...they dont spend all of it.

#29 ·
The other day at the range: Brand-new FNP-9 9mm pistol, jam, jam, jam and kept jamming from one magazine! Hi-point, "BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!"
Damn! I laughed about it and told another Hi-Point shooter down the line. Yes, I will try all three magazines and shoot a couple of boxes through my new FN, just to try and break it in to solve the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.